Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
Rocketsled

AC gettin' all melty

Getting ready to put the second cover (soon to be the third cover) on the Toyhauler, I noticed this...should I be concerned or VERY concerned?

Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

There is another thread going about using covers. The trapped heat and the damage it causes is another of the downsides of the covers. Looks like yours sort of baked the AC cover. Hopefully the AC isn't harmed but another cover, or at least one like you've been using, would never go back on my RV. The cover is cosmetic and you should be able to get another hopefully.

IF this happened during use this year and not while covered I would be worried and have that unit checked out because something is malfunctioning....although I've never had one do that. Did you check the cover prior to use this year?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
There is another thread going about using covers. The trapped heat and the damage it causes is another of the downsides of the covers. Looks like yours sort of baked the AC cover. Hopefully the AC isn't harmed but another cover, or at least one like you've been using, would never go back on my RV. The cover is cosmetic and you should be able to get another hopefully.
I've never had a cover on here (that's another thread. Cover manufacturers would save so much money if they'd list the height of the trailer the cover covers.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
I've never had a cover on here (that's another thread. Cover manufacturers would save so much money if they'd list the height of the trailer the cover covers.

Thought you said in the original post you were putting the 2nd soon to be 3rd cover......gotcha. AC cover, not RV cover?! In that case I would venture something is wrong. I've never had an issue like that so hopefully someone that has can help out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
Rocketsled

third RV cover (first one was way too huge, good thing I measured first...made a quick run to the other side of town to swap it out for....well they had a travel trailer cover but not a toy hauler cover...got the right size...but it's a foot or two too short)

First cover on the A/C....I just noticed it because I was up there discovering the cover was the wrong height.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #6
jasin1

Your compressor may be running hot…take a look at your condenser coil and see if it needs cleaning…couldn’t hurt to clean it either way…if it gets too hot an internal overload in the compressor should open and the compressor would need to be cycled off to cool down or use a hose to cool it down. Possibly the combo condenser fan/ evap fan is getting hot but that would usually not last that long as the motor would likely fail pretty quick
Old 10-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #7
jasin1

And it will cool a lot better with clean coils..clean your other units while your up there
Old 10-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #8
rhagfo

Try replacing with a white cover. They are thin plastic, black absorbs heat from the sun, and heat from the unit.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Just had a customer unit in the shop last month for this. I used laser temp gun and found the “good” unit had about 130 degree air blowing through the coils and the meaty one measured about 320 degrees. Unit blew inside air witching specs so customer didn’t do anything.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote