Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2021, 10:51 AM   #41
jsb5717

First, those who have said that the folks at Lippert are very helpful are absolutely correct. That was my experience this morning, as well.

The tech listened as I walked through the various issues noted in my post above...Post 31. I ended by saying that I always connect to shore power before using the jacks. He said 'That might be your problem'. If the batteries are healthy then the system will work better on straight battery power. His assessment is that when connected to shore power then the power is pushing high-amperage voltage. But the leveling system is designed to work best on low-amperage voltage.

When connected to shore power the GC 3.0 control panel showed 13.6 volts. When disconnected it showed 12.7 volts. He said 'That's more like it'. He then had me run the slides in to draw the load off. Then the control panel showed 12.8 volts.

Then he had me go into manual mode and operate the rear then the front jacks...which worked just fine. Then we used Auto Level, which also worked just fine...no errors.

So, there's currently nothing wrong with my leveling system I was always under the impression that being connected to shore power was the best way to use the leveling system to keep the voltage above 12v. Now the Lippert tech says, 'no'. Healthy batteries are the solution.

All I know is that it's working and for the next few outings I will run the jacks before connecting to shore power and see how things go.

Thanks, all, for thinking this through with me. I hope that's the end of this issue...
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #42
chuckster57
Site Team

Interesting!! With all the HOURS I have spent on the phone with tech support, that’s the first time I’ve heard that. I do know that system is voltage sensitive and any dip below 12.0VDC can cause an error.

Let us know how it goes, I agree the guys at LCI are top notch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Jeff I'm going to log that. I always plug in before I start using things but guess I could level prior to plugging in. But thinking about it, when it started erroring out was after they had it at the dealership and it was unplugged at the time IIRC. I'll give it a whirl if/when it fouls up again. And yes, Lippert is good to work with.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #44
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
First, those who have said that the folks at Lippert are very helpful are absolutely correct. That was my experience this morning, as well.

The tech listened as I walked through the various issues noted in my post above...Post 31. I ended by saying that I always connect to shore power before using the jacks. He said 'That might be your problem'. If the batteries are healthy then the system will work better on straight battery power. His assessment is that when connected to shore power then the power is pushing high-amperage voltage. But the leveling system is designed to work best on low-amperage voltage.

When connected to shore power the GC 3.0 control panel showed 13.6 volts. When disconnected it showed 12.7 volts. He said 'That's more like it'. He then had me run the slides in to draw the load off. Then the control panel showed 12.8 volts.

Then he had me go into manual mode and operate the rear then the front jacks...which worked just fine. Then we used Auto Level, which also worked just fine...no errors.

So, there's currently nothing wrong with my leveling system I was always under the impression that being connected to shore power was the best way to use the leveling system to keep the voltage above 12v. Now the Lippert tech says, 'no'. Healthy batteries are the solution.

All I know is that it's working and for the next few outings I will run the jacks before connecting to shore power and see how things go.

Thanks, all, for thinking this through with me. I hope that's the end of this issue...
Yep the tech's at Lippert are very helpful...

I will say that I no longer have the Ground Control 3 but I did; and had more problems and a good bit more cost from a low battery than being plugged in to shore power.. And it was a tech that suggested I always plug in first..

Dropping below 12 volts cost me $225 for a new control board... always plugging in... once in a while I had to re-home.. cost... a few minutes more..

I guess one could always check the battery condition before deciding whether to PLUG or NOT PLUG...

I now have the Lippert Level UP hydraulic system and I still always PLUG first..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #45
jsb5717

I guess I'm still a little confused. This is from the GC 3.0 owners manual

Ensure the battery of the trailer is fully charged or that the trailer is plugged into shore power prior to attempting to operate the system. Ground Control 3.0 requires a minimum of 12.75V DC from the battery for proper operation.

The tech told me that the system would work down to, and even a little below 12v. Their documentation says differently. I'll still try to level prior to connecting to shore power. If my truck is still running there will still be a little continuous charging before I unplug. I usually unplug and pull away before leveling but might try still plugged in. We'll see...
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #46
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I guess I'm still a little confused. This is from the GC 3.0 owners manual

Ensure the battery of the trailer is fully charged or that the trailer is plugged into shore power prior to attempting to operate the system. Ground Control 3.0 requires a minimum of 12.75V DC from the battery for proper operation.

The tech told me that the system would work down to, and even a little below 12v. Their documentation says differently. I'll still try to level prior to connecting to shore power. If my truck is still running there will still be a little continuous charging before I unplug. I usually unplug and pull away before leveling but might try still plugged in. We'll see...
Well... The one time I used it at 12 volts the screen went blank and never came back on.. I could still use the remote to level the trailer after I plugged it in but the control panel had to be replaced.. called Lippert for advice... told them I had 12 volts... they said order a new control panel and replace it..

I did and never leveled without being plugged into either the truck or shore power... ever again
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #47
jasin1

I always have mine plugged in…I’d call back and see if you get a different tech and a different answer..
I had a guy that worked for me that LOVED to answer questions….whether he knew the correct answer or not..
Old 09-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #48
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I always have mine plugged in…I’d call back and see if you get a different tech and a different answer..
I had a guy that worked for me that LOVED to answer questions….whether he knew the correct answer or not..

Sounds like he got an answer, not a Solution
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:41 AM   #49
behrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I am 99% of the time plugged in on shore power when I level and my battery level will read 13.8vdc or so when connected. That's just part of my hookup process. Park, plug in to shore power, disconnect, level, slides. This answer doesn't make any sense.
behrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:49 AM   #50
chuckster57
Site Team

The 13.8 your reading on the panel isn’t “battery” voltage, it’s the voltage being produced by the converter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #51
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by behrmr View Post
I am 99% of the time plugged in on shore power when I level and my battery level will read 13.8vdc or so when connected. That's just part of my hookup process. Park, plug in to shore power, disconnect, level, slides. This answer doesn't make any sense.
Are you saying my answer makes no sense? My point was a different tech may give a completely different answer to the problem. It depends on who picked up the phone at lippert. It seems odd that one tech would suggest a solution that goes against every other recommendation. I’d confirm it with a second tech

Just wasn’t sure who’s answer you didn’t agree with