Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #21
wegone

Yes....workmanship today is a misnomer.

Not sure I would buy their product again.
I bought a brand new 26 Bullet off the lot and the list grows longer.

The latest episode was I opened the door to the outside kitchen, and the reefer almost greeted me as I opened it.
While traveling the shelf it sat on gave way as the "one" screw that held up a corner finally said, screw it" as it was just barely imbedded into the supporting wood, they missed their target....it split.
So, I removed the reefer once back home after propping it up from underneath with metal cups to finish the vacation.
They put a bar size reefer on the same panels they use for the walls....I was flabbergasted...30-40 pounds sitting on paneling with no support other than the edges, nothing across it at all for bracing.

I rebuilt it instead of dealing with them, As I have on all other of my issues, I want to be certain its done RIGHT, and I also want to learn to fix my own rig...so, I am making lemonade out of lemons, so to speak.

Doors that won't latch after towing, shower doors that fall off their track, etc...fun stuff.

If I ever buy a airplane, it won't be built by Keystone
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Yes....workmanship today is a misnomer.

Not sure I would buy their product again.
I bought a brand new 26 Bullet off the lot and the list grows longer.

The latest episode was I opened the door to the outside kitchen, and the reefer almost greeted me as I opened it.
While traveling the shelf it sat on gave way as the "one" screw that held up a corner finally said, screw it" as it was just barely imbedded into the supporting wood, they missed their target....it split.
So, I removed the reefer once back home after propping it up from underneath with metal cups to finish the vacation.
They put a bar size reefer on the same panels they use for the walls....I was flabbergasted...30-40 pounds sitting on paneling with no support other than the edges, nothing across it at all for bracing.

I rebuilt it instead of dealing with them, As I have on all other of my issues, I want to be certain its done RIGHT, and I also want to learn to fix my own rig...so, I am making lemonade out of lemons, so to speak.

Doors that won't latch after towing, shower doors that fall off their track, etc...fun stuff.

If I ever buy a airplane, it won't be built by Keystone

If I ever buy a airplane, it won't be built by Keystone [/QUOTE]

Nor should it built by any other rv manufacturer, there's not a nickels worth of difference between any of them.
The same people that built your rv yesterday worked at McDonald's last week may be working for the other rv company next door tomorrow then another RV company across town next week then back to the starting rv company in a couple weeks to start that cycle again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #23
KJJ

I have a Keystone Passport 238ML bought new in 2016. Have had to reinforce the dinette with 1x4s as the 1x2s weren't up to the job, and also added screws where the staples weren't doing it, and added more where staples we're all they used. Also, more serious, the factory bead on the roof sealing to the front transition to aluminum had a gap, which let water in. Initially it didn't seem more than cosmetic - no mold, no smells - but this Spring the floor developed a soft spot by the door. Might be unrelated as we never saw water on the floor or under the trailer when parked. It's in for various regular maintenance and an estimate on the floor problem. Bottom line is watch for minor things before they become major, and regularly inspect your roof!
Old 08-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #24
Peacemkr53

We purchased a 2019 Cougar 315 RLS in 11 of 18. Have had it 32 months and have been able to use (or store) 19 months. Water leaks, Cup washers, exploded brake system (lead axle no less) requiring the re-installation of the brake mechanism, warped flooring so bed slide would not deploy, plethora of trim issues, slide cover not installed correctly so first rain wiped out the canvas... yes, inspect it and due to the labor issues in Goshen (John is correct) expect that you will become a repair expert. Oh and the brake failure locked the tire up creating a flat spot that then began leaking. I was parked when it went flat. Oh the joy of owning a 5er.
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #25
Kzneft

Welcome to the world of RV's

Welcome to the world of RV's. You either need to be a handyman, if you weren't already you are now, or have lots of money and time to keep on bringing it back to the dealer because you don't even know how to turn on the fridge.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:50 PM   #26
wegone

Yep...the more you know, the better, if only because it might keep you from being stuck somewhere and at the mercy of others who prey on those who don't know any better.....
Folks, we really are lucky, we have a electronic device that we can call up all kinds of videos, etc, that can walk us through all sorts of repairs, etc....USE IT, learn in your SPARE TIME, not when stuck and hope you have cell service

We must remember (they) RV builders hire the cheapest labor they can, the turn over is HUGE, unless you purchase a Airstream type of trailer, which can still have issues too, we get what we pay for.

I forgot this one, if I was a lawyering type who loves litigation I would have sued Keystone.
On my wife's side of the bedroom, the passway out is pretty narrow, and immediately outside the sliding door the carpet and slide out begins.
She steps out onto the carpet, no other way around it.
Two trips ago she was doing that very thing, and stepped on the shag carpet like she always did....barefoot, however this time the bottom of her foot found a screw poking through with its point about 3/8 inch protruding, just barely hidden by the carpet....
she had a nasty slice about 1 1/2 long, 3/8 deep...and we were on vacation and doing some WALKING, etc.
She is a retired nurse and way tougher than me, I would have cried until she drove me to the ER and I got some pain meds.....ARG!
She just bound herself up, after cleaning it, and made the best of it...pioneer stock, all 25 of our kids she delivered standing up, cooking and doing my laundry....no meds, what a gal
Anyway, that is another thing to look for, you got carpet on your slides, run your hands over ALL OF IT, and check to see if they used the wrong grip length....
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote