Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
aray

Passport 199ML air conditioner question

Howdy. I've never owned an RV before and am considering purchasing a new Passport 199ML. I understand the 199ML comes with a 13,500 BTU air conditioner by default. However I see a 15,000 BTUs is an optional upgrade.

One the one hand I see lots of threads in this forum about folks upgrading their AC units, adding second AC units, etc. That would lead me to believe this is a worthwhile one-time investment. On the other hand: 1) all of those posts are for larger units (the 199ML is small), and 2) I know from my father (now deceased) who used to be an HVAC tech that having too powerful of an AC unit is actually counterproductive (specifically, it blasts a lot of cold air out very quickly, short-cycles, and does not time to perform its necessary de-humidification function).

Does anyone have any experience with this model and these ACs, and can advise me on what to purchase?

Thanks much,

Ray
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't own your trailer nor live in your neck of the woods, but, I would say the OE 13.5k would be sufficient. The box on your trailer will probably be somewhat less than 20'. I had a 25' unit I primarily used in TX for 3 years with one 13.5k and it was fine. A 15k in that small of a trailer would be overkill. If for some reason you are in REALLY hot places and find the 13.5 won't work, upgrade then, but I don't think that day will come. Those threads you read about "upgrading" and adding 2nd ACs are due to larger trailers in warm climates.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
aray

Thanks; that is helpful! I should clarify however: though my wife and I live currently in Maryland and plan to relocate to Kentucky in a couple of years, we do plan to visit all parts of the US eventually including the hot areas. For example our daughter lives in Tampa FL, and we hope to visit the Grand Canyon. Some of those trips might occur in summer. So, yes, we do need to camp in very hot areas, but it's comforting to know that you survived in TX with little difficulty, and with a larger unit. Thanks again!
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

A 13.5 will serve you just fine in that trailer. My (our) issue has always been humidity since we live in a desert climate. IF that were an issue I would suggest a small dehumidifier which makes a large difference for us....and is running at the moment.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, passport