Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Herkbubba

Question Bent awning roller - awning repair

Hello -

My RV needs a new awning roller and fabric...

It is an 18' Dometic SunChaser and the previous owner had it level in a rainstorm and (you guessed it) the roller bent in the middle from the weight. The broken roller damaged the fabric...

Took it to the RV Dealer for a quote and he priced it out to $776 for the roller and awning fabric (the hardware 'arms' are fine).

I called CampingWorld and can save $200 by doing it myself. I'm pretty handy with repairs, and the lady on the phone said it comes with installation instructions. I know I would need another set of hands to help me out.

Anyway - has anyone done this and can you provide any advice if I want to do it myself?

Thanks,
Herk
Herkbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
sonuvabum

My only response would to be very careful. The roller assembly has loaded springs in it that stay under tension. If you accidentally release this tension at the wrong moment, you could get hurt. Also, if you don't get the tension back to the same level on the re-install, the awning will not operate correctly.

Yes there are instructions. Yes, I read them recently when I had a similar problem and needed to replace my awning. That is not to say that I probably couldn't have done this, but I opted to let the pros do it.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, and be very careful if you opt to do it yourself.

Gary
sonuvabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Herk -
Utube has several DIY videos on RV awning replacement and repair. Google this and you will find some visual instructions and demos that will assist with your decision to DIY or let someone else do it.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Herkbubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Herk -
Utube has several DIY videos on RV awning replacement and repair. Google this and you will find some visual instructions and demos that will assist with your decision to DIY or let someone else do it.
Can't believe I did not think about that. I have used YouTube for lots of different DIY jobs, and that totally escaped me.

I did as you recommended - and found some good videos.

Will place the order on Monday and tackle the task over the holidays.

Herk...
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Herkbubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Herk -
Update... It was a pice of cake. Just needed two othe people to help.

There was no need to worry about the tension springs on install as the roller & vinyl material were all put together and cotter pinned in. Was already under tensin.

After removing the old one, just followed the directions on a video I found.

The only issue is that the replacement awning hardware is just a little bit different than the original. So instead of the awning arms being flush there is a little bit of gap.. I can still snap the arms into place (for travel) but they just don't fit precisely like they used to.

I did not want to put new holes in the top where the lag bolts go - so I used the existing holes and put lap sealant over it all.

Hopefully we won't have any issues.

Next is to fashion a support in the middle so the roller doesn't bow in the future.

Thanks again...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
fla-gypsy

Nice work and you saved some bucks too.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkbubba View Post
Update... .

The only issue is that the replacement awning hardware is just a little bit different than the original. So instead of the awning arms being flush there is a little bit of gap.. I can still snap the arms into place (for travel) but they just don't fit precisely like they used to.
Thanks again...
Check the alignment of these arms. sometimes they get off track or out of alignment and just need a gentle bump. the awning fabric could also be out of line causing the arms to bind. check its alignment first centered on the frame and on the roll tube.
Good thing the new one came wound(sp) up. I have tried to help out a friend and I can tell you from experience you don't want the spring to start to unwind.. it will take meat and almost to the bone off your finger. Leaves a scar too..you will see stars too.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Update... It was a pice of cake. Just needed two othe people to help.

There was no need to worry about the tension springs on install as the roller & vinyl material were all put together and cotter pinned in. Was already under tensin.

After removing the old one, just followed the directions on a video I found.

I did not want to put new holes in the top where the lag bolts go - so I used the existing holes and put lap sealant over it all.

Hopefully we won't have any issues.

Next is to fashion a support in the middle so the roller doesn't bow in the future.

Thanks again...
Jeff, If you're looking for a center awning roller support to cradle your awning in the closed position (during travel) then look at this:
http://www.adventurerv.net/automatic...te-p-3601.html

If you're looking for an awning support to cradle your awning during travel and also offer support when the awning is in use, they are available, but I couldn't find a link to provide the information. Essentially, it is a center arm just like the side arms and supports the awning from the center of the RV to keep the roller tube from bending. You may have to ask your dealer about part numbers and availability. I had one on our Holiday Rambler and it saved the day more than once during heavy rains.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Herkbubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Nice work and you saved some bucks too.
Figured I ought to try out this whole "attach photo" thing so you can see before and after...

You can see how the forward arm doesn't tuck in like it used to - it still "clips" - just doesn't tuck in perfectly.

The reason is not due to mis-alignment - it is because the replacement roller hardware is a bit different than the original. Where the lag-bolts attach to the top of the RV ... that hardware is a liitle bit wider than the other ones and I did not want to put any new holes in the RV - I wanted to use the existing.

JR - thanks for the links... The one while transporting is nice, but not too sure it's needed due to the fact that the vinyl will hold and distribute the weight at the top while rolled up... but you're right - I'm looking for the one that works while the awning is extended.

If anyone can point me in that direction, I'm much obliged.

Thanks,
Herk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2261   Click image for larger version

Name:	After 1.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2262   Click image for larger version

Name:	After 2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	2263  
Old 01-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Herk -
If you are at all concerned about the awning arm not tucking in as it did before, you might try using a couple of heavy-duty velcro straps as a bit of extra "insurance" when on the road.

By placing one as high as you can reach and another a bit farther down, it just might provide some additional support and "locking" of the two arms when travelling.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Herkbubba

After re-reading my post... I suppose "technically" the arms --are-- misaligned due to the difference in the hardware.

I have two options to fix it:

1) Move the mounting hardware at the top. or
2) Move the mounting hardware at the bottom

Both options mean drilling new holes in the RV - and that is something I really do --not-- want to do.

I think I'll go with the heavy duty velcro or some other work around.

The RV has aerodynamic qualities of a cinder block, so I'm not too worried about the additional drag affecting my mileage.

Thanks again...
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Herkbubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Jeff, If you're looking for a center awning roller support to cradle your awning in the closed position (during travel) then look at this:
http://www.adventurerv.net/automatic...te-p-3601.html

If you're looking for an awning support to cradle your awning during travel and also offer support when the awning is in use, they are available, but I couldn't find a link to provide the information. Essentially, it is a center arm just like the side arms and supports the awning from the center of the RV to keep the roller tube from bending. You may have to ask your dealer about part numbers and availability. I had one on our Holiday Rambler and it saved the day more than once during heavy rains.
Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Systems-930043...Awning+Support
Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
cathcartww

Had the awning come unfurled while going down the road once, and that was not fun at all. Installed one of these with the new awning, and it seems to work great. Downside is it is one more set of holes in the roof to keep an eye on, but it sure holds the center of the awning tightly in place and supports the center of the tube (at least when it is rolled up).

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ning-clamp.htm

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I'm not sure if that system has a leg that extends to the ground to support the middle of the awning roller or if it is just the roof brace that pushes out on the roller tube from the trailer side. When we had issues with our 22' awning on the HR, our dealer recommended a center support assembly that attached to the trailer at the top (under the roller tube) and at the bottom (in line with the two end arms on the awning) so that essentially, we had 3 support legs that ran from the side of the RV (under the roller tube) to the roller tube and then either back to the RV (at the lower end) or they could be detached and staked to the ground to support the awning.

Essentially, it was just another side arm assembly with a special top that rested under the cradle when stowed.

I don't know if the link you posted has the leg that goes to the ground or if it is only the top "rafter support".... I saw that one when I was looking earlier, but didn't think it had both supports.... That's why I said I couldn't find what I was looking for. It seems to me that when we bought ours in the mid 1990's, it was over $100, so the one you listed at $60 sure seems inexpensive based on the price we paid 20 years ago. That leads me to think it's not the same thing..... If I were you, I'd do some research, or talk to your dealer before buying one that only supports the awning from the top and doesn't support it from below as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, awning repair, dometic, sunchaser