Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV802 View Post
And we had to use the left foot to operate the high beam/low beam button on the floor!
That reminds me: And pushing the starter button on the dash or before that, it was under the accelerator pedal... Easy to do until you flooded the carburetor, then you had to take off your right shoe and "sneak your big toe" under the accelerator pedal to get it started while pushing the clutch in and holding the brake pedal to keep from rolling..... Yep, lots more coordination required years ago than now, when you can hit the lock button on your remote, then push the "circling arrow button" two times and you've got 15 minutes of "warmup" while you drink that extra cup of coffee before putting on your coat....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #42
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpa View Post
I find the backup assist a great tool. I can place the ball under the receiver without anyone helping, so I can pick up my trailer from storage without anyone accompanying me.
My only tip is to place a light colored tape over the black receiver so it really stands out. That is what gives my eyes what they need to be dead-on when hooking up.
I'm still enthusiastic just having the tailgate backup camera that came with my current F-250. We have a ProPride hitch, which is hairier to hitch up than a standard ball mount. It's like having to drive a hot dog into a doughnut. I used a Testor's paint pen in silver to draw two lines on the top surface showing the inside edges of the trailer's hitch tunnel so as to get some contrast, then (after getting close and verifying the heights match) I just put the backup camera into magnify mode and I can slide the drawpost into the hitch tunnel first time. This always used to be a two-person operation in the past.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:16 AM   #43
notanlines

What I wouldn’t give to have wing windows, floor dimmer switch, and real hand operated floor vents again! Yep, I’m old!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
What I wouldn’t give to have wing windows, floor dimmer switch, and real hand operated floor vents again! Yep, I’m old!
Back then, heaters and defrosters were optional equipment. I'd guess that JC Whitney sold as many (maybe more) than the car manufacturer. One thing I don't miss about those cars was the serge wool seat covers. It was "really itchy" to sit in the back seat on the way home from the river in a wet bathing suit (or cut-off jeans) on those old wool seats. When Grandpa was driving, we "fought not to sit behind him".... He always spit his tobacco juice out the window and anyone sitting behind him would always get a shower.... I don't remember ever seeing him without a white shirt with a tobacco stain on it....

To keep this "sort of close" to the thread topic. The only knobs that I remember that could be turned were the radio volume and tuning knobs and the light switch, to dim the interior lights or turn on the overhead light. No such thing as a "backup assist" in those days...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #45
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Sometimes I miss wing windows. But I'll never forget the time ours sucked in a bird at highway speed. Smacked my father in the head and he almost lost control of the car.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #46
FlyPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Wow! A great response from folks who have never tried to use this newest gizmo; only one response from a person who had used it and he mentioned "stickers and placement" and that might be an issue. I am sure every driver on this forum can back up and drive as well as our team of expert backer-uppers!
I would love to try this system (there is an aftermarket version that I believe will work with 5th wheels. I have been backing up for MANY years and have practiced and my backing up is still somewhat lacking. The aftermarket system is likely out of my price range.
It took me an hour to set up and calibrate on my 2020 Ford F250. I found you really need to be within 2-3 feet for the backup camera to see the stickers on the A-frame. Shadows or poor light or obstructions don't help. Once you finally get it calibrated, you still need to be super close, otherwise it won't engage. After a few attempts, I gave up and went back to using backup camera or spotter (if available). Nice idea...but fell a little short.
FlyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #47
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast2017 View Post
Lol - thank you this made my day. I had to learn to drive a manual transmission as well.
When I first got my license if you took the road test on an automatic your license was marked and you weren't allowed to drive a standard. Oh yeah, and remember starting on a hill when the parking brake wouldn't hold you? That was some fancy foot work.

As for back up assist, I looked at the set up procedure and realized it was not for a 5th wheel and put it back in the box. I have a back up camera on the trailer but never use it, it just seems to distort the distances. DW is my trusted back up system and we use the cell phone/hands free system in the truck for communication.

BTW, I had a car once with the old trap door vents under the dash. I could get a whole 8 pack of Genny Juniors in there and keep them cool, and out of site if I got stopped.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #48
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Oh yeah, and remember starting on a hill when the parking brake wouldn't hold you? That was some fancy foot work.
Sometimes, technology just makes things worse.

My current Jeep has an "automatic electronic parking brake" which is nothing but a switch. You need to depress the brake to release it, which means you can't use the traditional "uphill start" trick. So they had to invent a "hill assist" feature that automatically holds and releases the regular brakes for maybe three seconds while you start. Once you get used to the timing of the new dance, it isn't awful.

The problem is that if you ever need to reverse uphill, you're out of luck, because you get no assistance in that direction.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Sometimes, technology just makes things worse.

The problem is that if you ever need to reverse uphill, you're out of luck, because you get no assistance in that direction.
And then we "circle back" to "it's so much better to know how to do it yourself" rather than rely on "technology"... I'd be "scared ****less" to think I was in an airplane with a pilot that couldn't fly the airplane if the "automatic flight controls" failed.....

Same with a RV'er who doesn't know how to back up his rig if we're in a "tight campground" like Fishing Bridge at Yellowstone NP..... I'd hate to come back after a day of chasing buffalo and watching Old Faithful, to find the side of my trailer missing because "Ford's system didn't work"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
ford