Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
dizzylizzy

New member from SE Texas

Hello everyone. I have been a lurker on this site for a couple of days. I have enjoyed reading your posts. Currently we own a 2009 Sunnybrook 29' travel trailer but we have been looking at a Cougar 326MKS. I noticed several of you own this model and I am curious to know what you think about it, likes/dislikes. Also, the one ac unit we have in our current trailer is enough to heat and cool the whole trailer. Will it be necessary to buy an additional ac for the bedroom if we get the 36' Cougar?
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It's always nice to meet another "Lurker". Glad you decided to come out of the shadows. The MKS models seem to be very popular lately and we have many owners as members. I hope some of them will step up and answer your questions. Welcome to the forum, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Some members with similar sized RV's have found that having just one A/C is not sufficient to keep their unit cool and comfortable enough during prolonged periods of high temps - especially if you have the lower output A/C. Consequently, they have installed an additional A/C to keep their whole unit at a comfortable temperature.
If you are planning to spend extended periods of time in areas of high temps, then you might want to consider installing another A/C in your bedroom area. However, if you are camping in areas that probably won't experience these high temps, then you might get by with just the one A/C.
I see that you are from Texas -----that might be enough to cause me to seriously consider an additional A/C --- especially if you are going to be spending a lot of your camping time in that area.
And welcome, by the way, to the forum.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
dizzylizzy

thanks Festus...we usually travel outside of Texas when we go. We try to get out of the heat as much as possible and go where its cooler. I'm sure we will wind up with 2 but I sure hate to buy the extra ac
Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

As an alternative to a second A/C, you might try the following:
1) park in as much shade as you can find,
2) use reflective RV window coverings/shades,
3) look into purchasing and installing a Fantastic Fan or something similar for your bedroom rather than an A/C. These types of fans do move a lot of air and are thermostatically and remotely (option) controlled, and can either bring fresh, outside air into your unit or remove stale, warm air to the outside. We have one and it works very well. Might be worth a try --- it is certainly cheaper!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
dizzylizzy

thanks so much
Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
dizzylizzy

thanks Jay...we have looked around and so for this is our favorite floor plan. I am big on counter top space. And I love the extra slide out in the bathroom. There were 4 of us in it at one time at an RV show and we still had plenty room for several more people. Is it true you have to put one of the recliners on the sofa when you pull the slide in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2jxr View Post
My wife and I have the MKS 326 and really enjoy the 5er. The floor plan works well for us and it pulls smoother than the smaller Heartland we had before it. I think it has more to do with weight of the newer trailer than anything else because I have not experienced the chucking like I did on our last trailer. It was 2500 pound lighter and six feet shorter. We really like the extra room the bathroom slide gives you. The storage in the trailer is phenominal. I wish the cargo hold was taller but you always make sacrifices somewhere. We have had very few problems with the trailer and most things were fixed by me. Tighten this and straighten that kind of stuff. I did have a bad rim on the trailer but that was swapped out with another rim off a new trailer at the dealership. The one thing that caught me off guard was the water system did not have a suction tube to suck up the RV antifreeze from the pump. I had to install one and thought a trailer of this caliber would have that. The bulbs over the counter island burned out constantly (I believe from the vibration) and the fix is to buy the led replacements... No more burned out lights. I think you would really like the trailer if you purchase one. Feel from to contact Lori and me for more…. Jay