Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
Lee

Toilet valve serviceable?

De-winterized and have discovered that the valve for the Dometic 310 toilet will not open and allow water to flow into the bowl.

When I push the foot lever, the flapper in the bottom of the bowl opens,... just get barely a trickle of water flow.

This happens either on city water connection or on pump. Have great water flow from all other faucets.

Is this just a case of replacing the valve? Or can they be taken apart and serviced?

If replacement is in order, can anyone recommend a quality replacement part?

Thanks,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Not rebuildable. Cheap and easy to replace. You can try spraying some lube in the top of the valve while pushing on the rubber “plate”. We see them stick and leak.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The Dometic toilet flush valve is mechanically connected to the foot pedal assembly. You first need to determine if the two are correctly connected and that something didn't come loose or break. If loose, reconnect, if broken, is it the flush valve or the foot pedal that is broken? Replace the broken part and it should work properly.

Dometic toilets have an easily replaceable foot pedal assembly and an easily replaceable flush valve assembly, so it is not difficult for the "average handyman" to fix his toilet. The parts manual and the owner's manual are readily available and will help guide you through the maintenance steps.

Since this is "early spring" and most people are "dewinterizing" their trailer, a good possibility is that the flush valve suffered freeze damage. There is a photo on page 9 of the owner's manual that will show you what to look for. Additionally, on page 10 of the owner's manual is a very thorough troubleshooting guide that addresses the problem of no water flowing into the toilet bowl.

As for replacement part recommendations, don't consider anything but OEM Dometic parts. They are cheap enough ($25-35) that trying to save $3 by buying "junk" just doesn't make sense. This is one place where saving a buck won't pay in the long run.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

John: your on point this morning! I was thinking the vacuum breaker. These 6 day work weeks are going to be the death of me.

People need to QUIT BUYING NEW RV’s LOL!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Get some rest, Chuck !!! or better yet, take a week off and go camping before it gets too hot to enjoy the outdoors !!!

When I posted my response, I saw that you had just posted yours while I was typing... I thought, Darn, he's fast this morning !!! LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Lee

All,

Thanks for the responses.

I unscrewed the water inlet connection to the valve and found the inlet filter clogged with a sediment. Cleaned it out and "waa-laa" she's flushing like brand new.

Tanks,
Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Get some rest, Chuck !!! or better yet, take a week off and go camping before it gets too hot to enjoy the outdoors !!!

When I posted my response, I saw that you had just posted yours while I was typing... I thought, Darn, he's fast this morning !!! LOL

Trying. But then now that I have replaced the 13.5 AC with a 15K unit, heat doesn’t bother us. Can you send a moderators(doctors) note to my boss please.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
All,

Thanks for the responses.

I unscrewed the water inlet connection to the valve and found the inlet filter clogged with a sediment. Cleaned it out and "waa-laa" she's flushing like brand new.

Tanks,
Lee
Fortunately you've got the Dometic toilet rather than the POS Thetford. As mentioned you can rebuild yours for just a few bucks without removing the toilet. The Thetford has to be removed, unless you're a contortionist, & parts are expensive (the foot pedal is/was $80). For others on here with the Thetford toilets, the 1st time you have problems take up & replace it with the Dometic 310 or 320, you'll be money ahead & have a better throne.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet