Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
fatcatzzz

Need refrigerator door help

I have a Norcold 2118 refer and the left lower door is dragging the center folding seal strip. I can raise the door about 1/4" and it will fold like it should. Now I know there is no adjustment for the hinges, so I will have to put a washer or bushing under the door pin. Now my dilemma, how do I remove the door? Looking at it, it looks like I will have to remove the upper (freezer) door first. I have looked at the docs that come with the unit, but no help. What I need is an exploded view that shows the door assembly. If any of you can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated as we are in the middle of a trip in NW.

Thanks,
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You can download the parts breakdown with illustrations here: http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...0_20151105.pdf

Looking at page 8, item #7 is the hinge support bracket that holds the top hinge pin for the lower left door. It looks like the screws are accessible from the front without removing the upper door.

Dometic refrigerators have a center "double pin" hinge bracket and you must pull the refrigerator from the wall, remove the top hinge bracket, remove the freezer door and then you can access the hinge bracket for the top of the lower door. It doesn't look like that's a requirement on your Norcold.

Keep us posted on what you do and how you repair it. No doubt someone else will have the same question in a month or two.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You can download the parts breakdown with illustrations here: http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...0_20151105.pdf

Looking at page 8, item #7 is the hinge support bracket that holds the top hinge pin for the lower left door. It looks like the screws are accessible from the front without removing the upper door.

Dometic refrigerators have a center "double pin" hinge bracket and you must pull the refrigerator from the wall, remove the top hinge bracket, remove the freezer door and then you can access the hinge bracket for the top of the lower door. It doesn't look like that's a requirement on your Norcold.

Keep us posted on what you do and how you repair it. No doubt someone else will have the same question in a month or two.

Good Luck
Now that is just what I needed. Yes it does look like I can remove the top support on the lower door with out taking the top door off. So tomorrow I'm off to the local hardware store to see if I can get two or three SS washers to put the on lower hinge pin to raise the door. Will keep you informed.

Thanks Big Time,
Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 AM   #4
notanlines

Ron, I had the same problem with a GE side by side a few years ago and I did the same thing only used a thick nylon washer/spacer found at Lowe's and it is still working fine, only has been relegated to the garage to store adult beverages.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
fatcatzzz

Well fixed the refer today. As was discussed earlier I was able to take the top hinge off by removing the three screws that hold the hinge. The door came right off. I did check the hinge pin and it was loose, so I had to install two nylon bushings instead on just the one I thought. Reinstalled the door and it work great. Sorry about the pics being sideways. BTW I used bushings that were 5/16" inside dia. They were a bit larger than the hinge pin, if I could have found metric size I could have gotten a little closer to the pin size. But I am at the mercy of the local hardware store here on the Oregon Coast.

Thank everyone,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6742.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	14348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6743.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	14349  
Old 10-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm glad things worked out well for you. Sure is a good feeling to accomplish a task rather than have to rely on the hassle of taking it in for service....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote