Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
banjo1948

Inside slider panel and docking lights not working..

First of all I want to thank you all for this forum....after reviewing many post..I was able to get my slides and landing gear to work off our remote....I'm the second owner of this 5th wheel...2010 Keystone Cougar 326MK....last year after I purchased it from a private owner...the slides and landing gear quit...while I was setting it up in my driveway....I was able to jump the slides from a 30amp source to get them in and out....because I was going to have the slides out for about 7 months I didn't seem to mind that the panel switches worked....but now that we are about to leave on a trip...I thought it would be nice to have them working....

I followed some tips I got here to reprogram the control panel and remote...they seem to be working just great now.... THANK YOU..

Only problem now is the docking lights and inside switch panel seem to have no power to them...all the lights switches work okay...just the slides don't..

I understand there maybe a 30amp fuse somewhere...I have looked into the front cargo compartment..and could not locate one....i could use some help in locating it....I do remember hearing what could have been a pop...when i was extending the landing legs...and everything went dead from there....

Any help will be gratefully appreciated......
banjo1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No guarantees that your trailer is wired the same as mine, but if you open the front cargo door (under the overhang/behind the pinbox) and look up along the front wall of the trailer, you should see a wiring harness there. There is either a 30 amp or a 40 amp "inline" fuse in that wiring harness. It is extremely hard to find the first time, but after you locate it, you'll never forget where it is. I took an orange "zip tie" and attached it next to the fuse so I can easily spot it "next time".... You'll probably find that it is "buried" inside the wire loom. Once you locate it and pull it out of the wire loom, here's what it should look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inline fuse 1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	9731  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
banjo1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No guarantees that your trailer is wired the same as mine, but if you open the front cargo door (under the overhang/behind the pinbox) and look up along the front wall of the trailer, you should see a wiring harness there. There is either a 30 amp or a 40 amp "inline" fuse in that wiring harness. It is extremely hard to find the first time, but after you locate it, you'll never forget where it is. I took an orange "zip tie" and attached it next to the fuse so I can easily spot it "next time".... You'll probably find that it is "buried" inside the wire loom. Once you locate it and pull it out of the wire loom, here's what it should look like:
Thanks John...I have looked and looked...no harness were you have yours....I do have one coming thru the side wall...on the right side of the cargo compartment....I will explore there next....thanks again..I will let you know....

2010 Keystone Cougar 326MKS, 2003 Ford Super Duty 7.3LT
Old 11-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
phinner

Try checking all the fuses in your converter panel. They should be the blade type found in newer cars and easy to see if it's blown.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Bruce & Tami
Carmichael, CA
'12 Cougar 28SGS, '18 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.7
3 kids, 6 G-kids, 3.1 dogs, 2 cats
phinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
banjo1948

Thanks Bruce for your reply.....I have checked all blade fuses in the main panel next to all breakers....they are 15amp...and all show good.....

Going to go hidden 30amp fuse fishing in the morning as John had mentioned....best always..

Old 11-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
banjo1948

Hi John
Okay...I spent the last two hours looking for what or where the 30amp fuse maybe hidden...I took the wrap off all wires coming in on the right side of the cargo hole...and down at the bottom of the cargo hole...no fuse....I even removed a part of the paneling above the cargo door to trace the wires going up to the pin....no luck....

I didn't check inside the pin mount where I put the cord to see if there was something there ....also didn't check to see if voltage is getting to the manual switch side of the control panel....I thought of those two things driving back home from where the 5th wheel is stored....I will get back over there later..

But in the mean time do you or any one else have any ideas...Remotes works...nothing else....all 15amp fuses in the converter/breaker panel are good.......

Thanks again.....sitting here p####d

Old 11-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If the remote control works but the manual switches don't, it could be a relay problem on the remote control receiver panel. I had that problem and was able to "hot wire" the panel so it would function. The dealer ordered another panel and when it came in, he replaced the one we hot wired. You might want to double check this thread and see if possibly you're having some issues with the "remote/manual" relay on the receiver.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ighlight=relay

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ghlight=remote

As for "chasing that 30 amp fuse", it's in line with the red wire coming out of the landing gear motor. If you locate the motor, the red wire is the hot wire and that fuse is "somewhere" in that line. It might be 6" or it might be 6', but it's on that red wire "somewhere".............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
banjo1948

will try hot wire..

Thanks again John
I will try your hot wire fix..I read on another thread...if I by pass the remote and the switches on the inside panel work...I really don't need the remote option....old owner said he quit using the remote anyway..after he forgot to check that one of the rocker recliners wasn't in its place before he move one slide in...crush....I too would like to double check things insider before moving the slides........
I will keep you posted....might not be till Monday...thanks a bunch...Bob

Old 11-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
banjo1948

Here's a pic of my control panel...I'm going to move the black and white wires from the right side....power into the remote system...to the manual switch terminals on the top of the panel (left)...do you think this is okay..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power center.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	9736  

Old 11-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I think you'll be OK connecting it the way you plan. If it were me, I'd connect the neg (white) wire to the "manual switches" white side and then wire a 10 amp fuse to the pos (black) wire before I connected it. That way, if there's a direct short, you'll blow the fuse prior to doing any significant damage. You can "fabricate" your own "fuse block" by crimping two "push on connectors", one to the "power (black wire) and one to a piece of spare wire, push the connectors onto the fuse and wire that to the black side of the "manual switch" connector.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
banjo1948

Sounds okay.....yes on the in-line fuse......
But I need to check if any power going thru 30amp DC circuit breaker that feeds that manual switch connection...if there isn't good chance its the circuit break....again you been great....maybe I will be able to break away tomorrow and check it.....

Old 12-02-2015, 03:23 AM   #12
banjo1948

Hi John and everybody......Update....I have decided to wait till our trip is over before trying any further wiring tips....the slides and landing gear are working off the remote...I can live with that for now....I didn't want to upset something that would cause us to delay our trip......heading to the Wild West Ranch & RV Resort for 4 days...then on to Lake Havasu Az. for a week.....thanks for your replies and advice....happy trails...