Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Greysquirrel

Atwood Refrigerator not working.

Went out to turn my fridge on and a check light came on with GAS flashing which means no gas, but I have gas as I checked the water heater and it fires up also the furnace.
Checked the AC plug behind the fridge get 121 volts, the DC volts reads12.68.
I am plugged into a 30 Amp. Circuit. and all breakers are OK.
Any ideas or am I SOL for a fridge this trip till I can get it to my dealer.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

When the check light is flashing, it doesn't necessarily mean "no gas" rather it means the gas burner flame detector did not sense a flame during the ignition sequence. You may have had a "leak down" while in storage and there was air in the gas line. Run through the sequence a few times to purge all the air out of the gas line and it will probably ignite. The refrigerator gas line branches off the main 1/2" black iron pipe and there is about a 4 to 6 foot run of 3/8" copper pipe. The furnace and water heater also branch off the main line, but each appliance has its own branch, none are tied together. So it may well take several "ignition sequences" to purge all the air out of the refrigerator line. Remember, the water heater and the furnace do not have a pilot light and when ignition is called for, a significant amount of propane is delivered through the copper supply line. On the refrigerator, the only flame is a very small "pilot size" flame in the heater chimney. It takes a long LONG time to purge that much air when flowing such a small amount of propane. On mine, it may take up to 8 or 9 ignition sequences. Keep trying, I'm betting once you get gas to the igniter it will work just fine....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Greysquirrel

The fridge is set on automatic so would think that it should go to AC.
But that is a moot point now, I went out and bought 45 lbs. of dry ice, that is not a lot and it weighs a lot it is only six pieces, before I loaded it into the fridge I tried one more time and it automatically went to AC, that does not mean when we try to go to gas it will work. We are going to take the dry ice with us just in case something happens.
I don't know why it went to gas, maybe something is wrong in the electrical circuits behind the buttons as the mode button would not do anything and the temperature would not do anything either while the check light was on.
Does this make sense to anyone.
Anyway on our trip tomorrow we pass by our dealer who is a couple of miles off on I 85 and they said to just drop in and they would look to see if there is anything they can do while we wait.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote