Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

When It Rains, It Pours

Over the past 3 years I've been all over the roof of my RV, never thinking how fragile it is. Yesterday, my DW and I towed the boat and trailer to one of our "secret fishing holes" in the UP. We set up the trailer, put the boat in the water and headed out to check the lake. We no more than got on the water and a storm blew in. Some small hail and high winds, so we "hunkered down" in a cove until it blew over. Decided to go get some dry clothes, and as we approached the trailer, we saw a tree laying over the roof.....

Anyway, to make a long story short, we're back home, 8 hour drive there, 1 hour on site and 8 hour drive home...We never even got a line in the water and our trailer is in the repair shop getting a new roof, ceiling and EPDM cover. The bath skylight, 2 fantastic vent fans and the AC will also be replaced, won't know about the damage to the back wall until they get it apart, but I'm really glad we weren't inside when those 5 sticks, two at least 6" in diameter came crashing through. I never gave a second thought about the roof being sturdy, but after this, it's clear to me that it doesn't take much to puncture all the way through to the inside of most RV's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TREE INSIDE.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	3260   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIG HOLE CLOSEUP.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	3261   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMALL HOLE.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	3262   Click image for larger version

Name:	THIRD HOLE.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	3263  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Glad you are both safe. I hope insurance will cover most of the cost of repair. Keep us informed of the progress, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
iamrwnut

WOW, hope everything (insurance) works out. Happy noone was hurt. There will be many more camping/fishing trips once repaired.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Honda4us

Man that blows... Glad everyone is safe the ret can be fixed
'11 3500HD C/C LTZ BLACK LMLD/A 4X4,B & W HITCH
'12 3500 EC/LB SRW
'13 381LEV W/GOODYEAR G614's
4 Honda ATV's, '12 Can-AM Spyder
Ralleys attended 14 and counting
Honda4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
labs4life

Wow! That is serious.

Hope it's done quick so you can get back out there!!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

On the way home, as we were talking (trying to stay awake) we both commented that we're glad we weren't inside when the tree fell. The big limb that punctured the roof just forward of the A/C came within a foot of the dining table. My DW's rocker is the streetside one. There was a limb about 3" in diameter that came through the roof and stopped about 3' off the floor. It was about a foot in front of her chair...

We are fine, just upset that we didn't get any fishing done, but with a new "skylight" to let the bugs in, neither of us really wanted to try sleeping in our trailer. I will say the only dry place in the whole camper was inside the oven

As for repairs, the insurance company has already approved repairs and they are telling me that it should be finished by the end of June. The "hot bass fishing" will be over, but splake will start about that same time and we've got a 6 day "credit" at the campground.....

Our comments to each other this evening at supper pretty much in agreement were that we are fine, nobody was hurt and the trailer is "just property" so we're ready to go again as soon as we get it back home and reloaded.....

Ya know, this is one hellava way to clean out all the junk that accumulate in the storage compartments over the years

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Dreamsongs

I really feel for you! Same thing happened to me.

I was sitting under the canopy when a micro burst blew in. Started to tear the canopy. I was struggling to fold it away when the while camper moved over 3 feet. Looked to my left and a huge tree has fallen on my rig. Insurance totaled it.

Learned much about my home campground and insurance. I now use good Sam GMAC insurance. They buy a new camper if it is wrecked, instead if depreciating it like a car.

Good luck!

Dave

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Dreamsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Dhuhn

Glad to hear you where not hurt, and sorry to hear about your rig. Hopefully you will get it back as soon as possible so you can enjoy the rest of summer.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

We just got a call from the insurance adjuster. They are going to repair the roof (not total the trailer). It should be ready in 3 weeks. Repairs came to just under $8700. They are replacing everything on the roof, vents, skylights, A/C, antenna, EPDM membrane, all the endcap and side aluminum molding and all but one piece of the OSB subroof. Inside, all the A/C ducting and vents, roof luan panels, 8 roof rafters, all the insulation (I asked for extra insulation and the dealer said he uses foil backed bubble wrap and R-15 blanket insulation).

Now it's just a waiting game until it's ready. First trip??? Right back to the same camping site at our "bass lake"..... This time I know there aren't any trees left to fall on it at that site

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
fla-gypsy

Wow that was a close call. Good to hear the Insurance company is coming through for you. Please share what Insurance you have, sounds like a stand up company.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Progressive RV insurance. We have the total loss replacement with a new comparable RV for the first 5 years and it was the least expensive of all comparable policies at the time we bought the RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
davidjsimons

Sorry you had this experience and I'm happy nobody was hurt. It just goes to show how important a good days fishing trip can be. All will be well soon. Again, I'm sorry this happened to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
jsmith948

Wow - considering the size of the tree limb - it is a good thing our trailers are built as well as they are. It's amazing to me the whole RV didn't collapse under the weight. Thankfully, you and your wife weren't kicked back inside. Although, having been on the water during lightening and hail, I'm sure you would have rather been on dry land. The only good thing is you will have a great campfire story for years to come! Glad you and yours are safe - all is well.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
trucker LOU

Hey John,glad you and yours are OK, may be a good time to add some wires in ceiling in case you want to add 2nd AC later.----Lou---
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #15
Lost

Thank God that no one was hurt. I hope you get back to camping and fishing very soon.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

We will be back to camping in about 3 weeks (maybe less now) and fishing hasn't slowed down, just the area travelled has significantly decreased. All the UP trips are postponed (hopefully not cancelled) until we get the trailer back. We just changed some of the local trips planned later in the year for now. Funny thing, there's a lake right around the corner called "Big Bass Lake" and I've never caught a bass of any size out of it. Yesterday, I decided to just try again...... VOILA, a five pounder and 3 four pounders within the first 30 minutes.... after that, all I did was drown plastic worms LOL At least I know there's a few bass in Big Bass Lake And yes, I catch and release (usually) so they're still there.....

Lou, I'm thinking we may use this opportunity to look seriously at the Cougar X Lite line. They are about the same dry weight/GVW as our Springdale and my DW is "dead set" against having an RV that has been "wet before" so before the mold starts, she wants to trade.... Since a F250 still won't fit in our garage, we're limited on what we look at, but there are more "half ton" fivers now than when we initially bought in 2010. Besides, I have to stay under 32' so whatever we have will fit in the new pole barn LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
labs4life

Just extend the garage and the barn and you are all set. Glad you "know" there are big bass in BIG BASS LAKE. Good luck looking and hopefully you will camping again shortly!
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks Labs, As a "chuckle", DW and I were thinking we could just put an extended Bay Window in the sliding door on the pole barn, that way, almost any size fifth wheel would fit, just have to lift the door out and around to close it LOL And, if we leave the boat in the house garage, an F250 would fit on the other side of the new pole barn. The only issue is that we built the pole barn on the other end of our property, so it's around the corner and down about half a mile from the house. That's a long LONG walk in a snowstorm to get to the truck if we wanted to go to town LOL

Oh well, it would probably be easier (and much more convenient) to just build another stall on the garage for a bigger truck and maybe even dig a pit in it so I could change oil and do chassis work without having to use a creeper ???? Nah, I'm thinking the DW will nix that idea even before I could explain it to her in any detail

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

John, It's June ..... will you please stop talking about SNOW??? Glad you two are okay and hope you get the trailer back soon and repaired to your satisfaction. (Dropping a log on the roof was a sneaky way of getting the DW to consider a new trailer, ) Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
John, It's June ..... will you please stop talking about SNOW??? Glad you two are okay and hope you get the trailer back soon and repaired to your satisfaction. (Dropping a log on the roof was a sneaky way of getting the DW to consider a new trailer, ) Hank
Don't forget the new truck to tow it with

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS