Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
game warden

Terrible water leak inside (black tank)

The wife and I were camping this weekend and went to dump station on the way out .dumped black and then grey tanks out and then decided to clean out black tank. Hooked up the hose to the black tank rinse out on the side and left it run a couple of mins and something just did not seem right. I went around to the side to find water gushing out from under the bathroom door and the from front door also. Took evey towel out of the cupboard and started to sop up all the water inside. Went straight to the repair center and service mgr said oh that is common the valve that vents black tank is cheep and water psi breaks and allows the water to flo out of it and all over the place instead of going to the black tank. Anyone eles had this happen to them?? I thought they forgot to put antifreeze in it and line broke and he is covering it up ..instead of owning up to it
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
f6bits

Do a search here for "Vacuum Breaker" and I think you'll find all kinds of info on similar, if not the same, problems.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
blackty

2 years in a row since I bought the new one, first flush of the season washes the bottom of my sink. I searched here and was led to remove the stink bug that wedged itself in the vacuum breaker. Pop it out and have a look...Jim
Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Game warden -
I know it's not much comfort but you are not the only one to have experienced this problem. The Service Manager's comment about a "cheap" vacuum breaker is quite correct and you might want to have it replaced with one of better quality. As suggested above, if you do a forum search, you'll find numerous posts about this topic (Black Tank flushing system) and what others have done to correct it.

There may be another reason for the malfunction if you did not properly winterize the black tank flush or forgot about it ---- it is easy to forget and not always easy to get the pink stuff into the black tank flush system.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
chris199

How do you know whether you have the pink stuff in the "flush system"? Is there a specific amt? Something to see or measure?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
suza

Question

We were told, by our dealer, to make sure we use a pressure restricting "thingy" when connecting a hose to the black tank flush valve. Could this be the problem. What is a "vacuum breaker" Can you tell, I'm not too savvy about RV terminology
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
randy69

Had the samething happen control panel and voltage converter were soaked. Went to giant Rv and bought a brass anti siphon valve. Use Velcro to strap in place

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
gepaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
We were told, by our dealer, to make sure we use a pressure restricting "thingy" when connecting a hose to the black tank flush valve. Could this be the problem. What is a "vacuum breaker" Can you tell, I'm not too savvy about RV terminology
The instructions that came with my flush system said NOT to use anything to restrict the flow. Makes sense to me as I think you want as much pressure as is available to flush the tank.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
jsmith948

What is a "vacuum breaker" Can you tell, I'm not too savvy about RV terminology [/QUOTE]

It is a plastic valve that employs a plastic flapper (like an anti-syphon valve) to prevent the water in the flush sustem from backing up into the hose. Look up under the bathroom vanity and you'll see two PEX lines with this cheap little valve at the top. They can freeze and/or break and then leak all over the bathroom floor. I removed ours and added an check valve at the flush inlet.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
rjsurfer

Do yourself a favor and just take it out. I pulled out about 20' of PEX when I did mine, just made a direct connection to the flush valve. Or if you want to make it an easier job just remove it and add a straight through connection.

As someone pointed out putting a pressure restrictor on that line makes the flusher much less efficient.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
suza

, Jack and Ron for explaining the vacuum breaker.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
wva3185

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199
How do you know whether you have the pink stuff in the "flush system"? Is there a specific amt? Something to see or measure? Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Every flusher that I have ever winterized has been simply to blow the line out with air pressure. If you have an outside shower you could hook a water hose from it to the flusher and pump anit-freeze to it through the outside shower. I bought a brass coupling from the hardware store that went from the threads on the shower to a garden hose for about $5. I never used it to pump anti-freezer to the flusher but used it to supply water to my Sewer Solution one time in a pinch. HTH
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote