Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
chris199

License Plate Holder Broke - Just Screw the New One In?

The existing license plate holder broke while washing the rig. Right now my plate is hanging on one tab. The current holder is made up of two plastic tabs - hanging down from the tail light. Went to the RV store and bought a replacement license plate holder.

I asked the RV store rep how to install. He said to "....just screw it into the RV wall. That's how the tail lights are attached."

Is that I all do? Get some very short galvanized screws and just mount it?

Just writing this is making me think.....perhaps there's some way to attach it to the bumper instead. Just hate to screw anything into the RV wall.

An:confused suggestions?

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
dankent

Can you not just remove the existing one and replace it with the new one ? If they are a different design then i would ask them to get you the same thing and failing this .. i would go to the manufacture and ask them how to obtain a new one. If that all fails to produce results then i would look at other options. However if you have to put new holes into your wall make sure you use a sealant on the new screw/hole.

Current:
2014 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

Sold:
2012 Keystone Sprinter 255RKS
dankent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Bugle Boy

If you have a like-kind replacement, the two plastic tabs are part of the tail light assembly. Take off the red lens and you will see that it is attached by 4 screws.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is a scan of the Bargman original equipment tail light. As you can see, the license plate tabs are a part of the base of the assembly. Also note that there is sealant around the entire plate, plus the 4 screw holes. There is NO sealant on the license plate extensions. You probably can not buy just the white base part of the tail light, but you can (or should be able to) buy the entire light assembly at your dealership or at any RV parts store. It is the "industry standard" light fixture and is mounted on virtually every RV built, so it is a very commonly stocked item.

When you remove the old one, make sure you remove as much of the old sealant as possible, apply sealant to the new one in the places you see sealant in this scan, then install the new on on the back of your RV.

If you've bought a "black boat type license holder, I'd advise not to install it on your RV for several reasons. First, it won't look like it did, second, you'll be adding holes to your RV, third, it will be hard to position it so the light from the tail light will shine on the new holder.

The cost of the entire light assembly should be less than $12. So I'd just get a replacement and do it right with a one for one swap.

Here is a link to purchase the entire light assembly from Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Bargman-34-92-...=pd_sim_auto_3

You'll find the model number and as you can see, it's listed at $9.52. With a Prime membership, 2 day shipping is free, so you'll have it on Monday. No, I'm not associated with Amazon.com, but I do use them to order many parts for my RV. Overall, it seems they are about 30-50% cheaper than the local RV parts house.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLD TAIL LIGHT.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	3440  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
f6bits

How about getting some of that 3M moulding tape for sticking auto moulding on cars?

Get a license frame, plus the four plastic screws and nuts. Assemble the whole thing and cut the excess screw from the back of the nut. Then put the moulding tape on the back of the nuts then stick the whole thing on the trailer?

That way you don't have to drill holes and if you ever remove it, you'll just need some elbow grease to remove the stickies.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
chris199

Just placed the order on Amazon. Added trial for Amazon Prime too. Should pay for itself - esp around the holidays and free shipping.

Should be here Sat in plenty of time to replace before out trip to the NC Smokey Mts - Cherokee - over the 4th.

I can see it now - getting pulled over on Rt 81 by a VA trooper because I lost my license plate somewhere along the way.

I love this forum. Ask dumb questions....get great answers....and learn some things for "next time".

Thanks!!!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Chris,

There are no dumb questions.... Just questions you don't have a ready answer for... So, don't feel intimidated by thinking your question is "dumb" I'm betting you there are (or will be) other members who break their license plate holder this summer. I also bet one of them will either buy the replacement at their dealer or, like you, will order from Amazon.....

Just be glad, as you said, that you don't get pulled over by a VA state trooper for a missing license plate.

Did you order the correct sealant? or do you have it at home already?

As for the Prime membership paying for itself, if you have a Kindle, there are a number of best seller books available to Prime members to download free (or at a very reduced price). When I bought my new truck, I ordered the Reese "in bed adapter plate" from Amazon. It was $595 at the local RV parts house iwth one week delivery, $289 with free 2 day shipping from Amazon. Sort of a no brainer to me. I'm betting I've got the membership cost back 3 or 4 times so far this year just in the free shipping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
chris199

Per a search on this forum, I believe I'm looking for butyl putty sealant tape/caulk to use around the base of the new lamp.

Was going to check out Lowe's tonight. Saw CW has tape available.

Am I on the right track??

Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
f6bits

Get the tape. I've read that some "butyl" caulk isn't the right stuff. My Home Depot and Lowes didn't have the right stuff.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
cathcartww

After replacing the cheaply made tail light base twice because the license tab broke, I just used double sided foam tape to stick the license plate directly onto the trailer under the light. Been there for six months and is still on nice an tight. In Jersey, we keep the same plate forever, so I probably will never have to change it .....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote