Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
KenBob

Campground power protection (Or lack thereof)

Did some research on RV electrical hookup protection. There are a lot of choices and prices. You can make your own 30 or 50 amp outlet tester. Seems like a lot of work to do what a volt meter can do. Check out this info and decide. http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/testing.htm

When you get to camp site, you can:

1. Plug in and take your chances

2. Use a digital volt meter, test the outlets, if ok plug in and take your chances on a surge or increase/decrease of voltage.

3. Use a DVM, test the outlets, if ok install a surge protector, plug in and take your chances on decrease/increase of voltage.

4. Use a DVM, test the outlets, if ok install a "Does it All" Surge/voltage protector, plug in. (Possible to monitor voltage)

5. Install a permanent "Does it All" protector in the RV. Use DVM to test outlets, if ok plug in. (possible to monitor voltage)

There are plug in voltage meters to monitor in the RV. (Prime Products 12-4058 A)

I have not given all the info. Wanted to pass on what I found, in a nutshell, and let others do research as well. I have given no opinion on a surge product. It is my opinion to test the outlets with a DVM even if a "Does it All" protector is used.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
cabinfever

I bought the Surge Guard 34730. When I worked in the printing industry, the press I operated had a voltage monitor/alarm on it. You would be surprised during inclimate weather how much the voltage varies just from the power grid. Then add in all the power use spikes in a campground, even a good system in the campground has its limits so protection is a good choice .

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
B&T

I always use a circuit tester like;

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_30amp.htm

to check our 30A connection before I even try backing into my camping spot.
Making one of these is from available off the shelf plugin items is easy. While I could do the same checks with a DVM, it's much quicker and easier with the test rig -- especially on rainy days

Checking before plugging in can avert possible damage in my camper as well as making it is safer for my family.

Pre-testing before plugging in is even more critical for anyone using 50A service since an open neutral here can cause 240V to be applied to the 120V circuits in the rig.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
mhs4771

In years gone by it wasn't much of a problem as there was very limited electronics in campers, now days I wouldn't plug-in without protection. We have more electronics in our 5er than we have in our house. Recently changed from a portable surge guard to the hardwired unit. Makes one less thing to mess with during setup and tear down.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote