Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Roller4Tan

Question Propane lines

I had to refill the propane in one of my tanks yesterday. No big deal, have done it many times. As I was putting the tank in I noticed some discoloration on the pipe connector going to the street side of the 5er. The nut on the end of the hose from the switch over valve to the pipe had a white powdery substance all the way around it. I checked the connection on the street side and it was the same. On closer examination it appears to be up tight against the slot cut into the METAL compartment wall for the tank. Am I correct in thinking that vibration of travel has worn away the paint on the metal panels causing a corrosion effect between the two dissimilar metals ? The nuts are a brassy color, but I haven't confirmed that they are in fact brass. I'm thinking that I can move the pipe supports to allow the clearance needed on the nut, clean things up and be good to go.
What do y'all think?

PS: I DID do a search for "propane lines corrosion" on this site... not Google, tho
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
jsmith948

Are you referring to the black iron rigid line that connects the two sides?
On our 5er, the steel pipe comes through the compartment wall, which is made of light gauge steel painted black. The fittings on the hoses are, I believe, brass. Gas fittings are usually brass - but I guess they could be an anodized steel fitting. If it is corrosion, white would be aluminum oxide? Or maybe zinc oxide if the pipe is galvanized
Photos would be helpful here - just thinking out loud - probably absolutely no help

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Roller4Tan

I'll try to get a pictures tomorrow, if it's not raining too hard. The pipe going from one side to the other is black, looks painted though. Sheesh come to Arizona for warmth and sun and get chilly rain !
Old 12-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller4Tan View Post
I'll try to get a pictures tomorrow, if it's not raining too hard. The pipe going from one side to the other is black, looks painted though. Sheesh come to Arizona for warmth and sun and get chilly rain !
LOL You go to Arizona for warmth and sun and have "chilly rain" We're looking at about 13" of the white stuff between tonight and Friday morning. So, I'll take your "chilly rain" if you want to do a swap LOL

It's all relative, and you're closer to being "kin to warm" than we are

Have a super day

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Nick & Jamie

My guess is that it is pipe dope. I'm not sure about brass, but on steel gas connections you have to use it to seal the connection. As long as you don't smell gas I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Roller4Tan

LOL, I'm from Michigan, so I know nasty winters.
Temp this morning in the mid forties, but under a bright sunny sky.
Got the pictures. On the one with the red regulator you can see the putty/tape on the threads. You can also see the discoloring of the nut. This discoloring is my concern, although it may just be cosmetic.
As you can see there is a big slot for the pipe, but they jammed it to the edge and screwed the clamps down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GaslineISCurb.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2230   Click image for larger version

Name:	GaslineOScurb.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2231   Click image for larger version

Name:	GaslineStreet.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2232  
Old 12-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
SteveC7010

Two suggestions:

First, after double checking for any leaks, clean the nut and nearby pipe really well. Then check it every couple of weeks and see if anything comes back. If it isn't leaking and there's presently no evidence of loss of material to corrosion, I think a cautious "wait and see" is in order, at least for a month or so. The nut should be brass which is not as susceptible to dissimilar metals corrosion as aluminum.

Second, I'd be inclined to loosen up that pipe clamp and see if there is a bit of adjustment possible. I can't tell from the pic what the other side of the clamp looks like, but if it's just a bolt or screw into some metal, maybe removing that bolt or screw and just adding a flat washer or two as spacers would move that pipe just an eighth to a quarter inch away from the edge of the cut-out. I am not thrilled with the thought of a rub on a gas line.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Htfiremedic

You may want to pressurize the system, spray with a mixture of Dawn and water, and wait. We use this at the FD and so does a heating and refrigeration friend of mine. A thicker mix holds on round surfaces more than does a tin mix. Both show bubbles.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Nick & Jamie

Looks to me like pipe dope on the nut. When they put it on my guess is they got it on the nut and possibly the wrench to tighten it. I agree with Steve and would try to shim the clamp where it connects to the wall with a few washers to give it a little more clearance from the opening.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Bushman512000

The wife said weatherman changed the forcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
LOL You go to Arizona for warmth and sun and have "chilly rain" We're looking at about 13" of the white stuff between tonight and Friday morning. So, I'll take your "chilly rain" if you want to do a swap LOL

It's all relative, and you're closer to being "kin to warm" than we are

Have a super day
I am waiting to leave to go south from Ontario so hope You are wrong lol Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
hankaye

Roller4Tan, Howdy;

Have you been driving over some roads that have the saline water
mix as a pre-treatment before a snow or Winter storm arrived.
On your wat to Az.??? Last year??? Those large vent holes in the bottom
of the tank compartments can and will allow alot of spray in there ...
Had to ask ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Roller4Tan

Hankaye:
The trailer hasn't seen any salt covered roads... YET... the rest of the compartment is clean. We were by the Gulf coast last April, but nothing else on the trailer seems to show any signs of salt corrosion.

JRTJH:
Freeze warnings for the outlying areas around Phoenix tonite and snow in the north country. I can see the snow up there, glad I don't have to deal with it.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Enjoy looking at it on the mountains "far away" LOL

We're forcasted with winter storm warnings, 5-7" by tomorrow at 5PM and 10-14" by Friday PM. I've got the snowblower ready, the tractor fueled, front end loader mounted and back blade ready to go. Oh sometimes I wish we were back in south Louisiana, but then every time I swatted a mosquito, I'd want to leave LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote