Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
SouthTXRVer

Outdoor Kitchen Hatch Supports

2011 27RBPR. New owner and just tossing the idea around. The gas shocks seem to be fine, but I was thinking of adding additional supports to the door when open. Something like what is in the crude picture attached. Has anyone done anything like this? If so, do you have pictures of what you did? TIA.

Sonny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_37531_LI.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	904.5 KB
ID:	31454  
SouthTXRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

My questions why? We have the same outdoor kitchen, same age, original struts. Works fine. If it's so windy that it starts to bounce around then it's going to be too windy to cook outside.

I would strongly recommend that you install finger pulls like these https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/CLFP-SS on all the cam locks and latches. On that large outdoor kitchen hatch I will try pulling it open from the center first. If it's resistant to opening then I'll move to the corners and gently pull until it breaks free. When that happens it means the gasket is sticking and needs to be treated. With that size door you want to avoid pulling innit with great force, especially at the corners. With the distance between the corners there's a lot of potential leverage that could end up damaging the door.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
SouthTXRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My questions why? We have the same outdoor kitchen, same age, original struts. Works fine. If it's so windy that it starts to bounce around then it's going to be too windy to cook outside.

I would strongly recommend that you install finger pulls like these https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/CLFP-SS on all the cam locks and latches. On that large outdoor kitchen hatch I will try pulling it open from the center first. If it's resistant to opening then I'll move to the corners and gently pull until it breaks free. When that happens it means the gasket is sticking and needs to be treated. With that size door you want to avoid pulling innit with great force, especially at the corners. With the distance between the corners there's a lot of potential leverage that could end up damaging the door.
It's not that the struts are bad, but it is a big, heavy door that can catch a lot of wind and I was thinking to protect the struts AND the door from damage from even the occasional wind gust, it might not hurt. I've not had an issue with the door sticking or anything yet.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
SouthTXRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
If you add something like what you want make sure they are a very bright color as it is very possible you will be running into them a lot if they don't really stand out.
Valid point!!! Hahaha...
Old 01-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
CampNBrew2

I have the same setup. My struts are very strong. I had to reattach the brackets inside with larger screws. I wouldn't worry unless the wind is really strong and knocking the door around.
Those extra pulls are a great idea vs the single tiny pull in the middle! I am very careful while opening or closing not to over stress the door. I can see where it could want to "fold" along the strut mounting points.
I sliced a bright green pool noodle to clip over the edge of the door when the site terrain dictates that the open door hangs lower than our noggins
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote