Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #21
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Sandy View Post
Got 17 responses to the same post on facebook.
If I was to answer you here it would be the same answers I gave on Facebook, just notch the face frame.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #22
Cfilipiak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	31204I 100% agree the Capitol Grill that comes with the Keystone Cougars is 100% useless. I tried your set up but it was too scary grilling right next to the RV with a real grill. So I took the shelf out and put a Cuisinart grill that I can take out and place on a table. So basically it’s now just a storage area. The Capitol Grill is one of a dozen terrible and cheap design elements of my travel trailer.
Cfilipiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #23
asherdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Sandy View Post
So, I did the Blackstone 22 griddle swap for the almost worthless Capital grill. Fit is perfect, after a few measurements and adjustments to the slides. However, I'm still trying to figure out how to route the gas lines. I can't use the gas rail that came with the griddle, it's too wide to fit when the grill is in the stow position. If anyone has done this already and can provide an easy mod, that would be great. Thanks. (Mike)
That looks awesome I think I will try it. Ya the capital grill is a joke.
asherdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:39 AM   #24
Brantel

I will be swapping mine out soon.

Tried to use it once on our last outing of the year and it was a complete joke.

The stupid design only heats half of the cooking area and the bottom half is basically impossible to clean well.

Trying to clean the cooking grate/surface was also next to impossible without ending up needing stitches.

Hard to believe someone at Keystone actually believes those pieces of junk add value to a rig.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #25
ewbldavis

mI've used our grill like twice - not a fan.

I was going to get a 17" blackstone - but seeing the 22", I'm going to have to double check some dimensions!! Looks awesome, and on my unit (and Brantel's), there is a blank panel we could probably modify for regulator clearance.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #26
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
mI've used our grill like twice - not a fan.

I was going to get a 17" blackstone - but seeing the 22", I'm going to have to double check some dimensions!! Looks awesome, and on my unit (and Brantel's), there is a blank panel we could probably modify for regulator clearance.
Won't need the big regulator, just need the adaptor that converts the connector on the Blackstone to a quick connect hose so we can hook it up the the line on the underbelly which is already regulated. I think that will only leave a little stub sticking out the side that will need clearance.

I just ordered the 22" Blackstone direct from the factory. I will let you know how it goes! Wish me luck!
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #27
JackinDixie

I agree with you 100% the capital grill in our outdoor kitchen is USELESS (and dangerous IMHO). Plenty of stories about a grill fire out of control that burns the RV down to the frame! No thanks. Not worth the risk. I cook outdoors on a table, and at a minimum 10-12 FT away from the RV.

QUESTION: Do I TRASH the brand new, un-used capital grill, or put it on Craigslist for $20? I'm going with OPTION 1...
Branford, FL
JackinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinDixie View Post
I agree with you 100% the capital grill in our outdoor kitchen is USELESS (and dangerous IMHO). Plenty of stories about a grill fire out of control that burns the RV down to the frame! No thanks. Not worth the risk. I cook outdoors on a table, and at a minimum 10-12 FT away from the RV.

QUESTION: Do I TRASH the brand new, un-used capital grill, or put it on Craigslist for $20? I'm going with OPTION 1...

Some will disagree with me but I would go with option 1 personally. I don't try to sell anything if I don't like it...not worth my time or the trouble. I tried Craigslist one time to list my 24' deckboat with 14 hours on it - never got a nibble. My patience ran out and I gave it away - but that's just me. If you feel it's dangerous I wouldn't try to sell it to anyone.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #29
JackinDixie

Amen Danny! Great minds think alike. Take care...
Branford, FL
JackinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #30
Huckster237

Thumbs up Blackstone 22" griddle upgrade

I did the same swap installing the Griddle ,LOVE it
clean up is not bad ,just wipe it down Daily and you have no build up of grease or ants .Ebay has the adapter hose to use the camper regulator after you tap in to main gas pipe with a quick connect .
Huckster237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #31
Harried Harry

For what its worth, if you have a grill attached to the RV, make or have made a metal (stainless steel is best) large cover with a hood on it. You would place this over the back area of the grill with the hood over the top of the grill. You can clean this "cover" easily and it will block most of the grease and any fire from your RV. I agree with NOTANLINEs, cooking should be done well away from the RV. Too easy for a fire to get away. You can store your grill in the RV, but add a long extension for the fuel and you will have the best of both worlds. (I was an Army cook (school trained), so I do appreciate good cooking). My waistline shows just how much I appreciate the food my wife makes. For a portable table, you can get a collapsible camping table from BassPro or Cabella's. Nice units and easy to setup.

Merry Christmas to all and enjoy your Holidays.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #32
Harried Harry

Now for my question: Has anyone used the 18" Blackstone? What are the advantages / disadvantages compared to the 22" model?
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harried Harry View Post
Now for my question: Has anyone used the 18" Blackstone? What are the advantages / disadvantages compared to the 22" model?

Is there an 18" Blackstone or is it the 17" you refer to? My son had a 17" for a very short time but it was just too small to do much more than cook on thing at a time. My first 22" was from Walmart because it had a stand and folding cover - it resides at my main house. I bought my 2nd for the RV online and it is just the flattop w/burners. I keep it under a Blackstone cover outside the RV and carry it in the Blackstone carrying case when traveling. There is just DW and myself and I would not want anything smaller. I also gave just the cast iron griddle portion to my son to put on his grill at his house. The 28" did not come with nearly the options that the 22" did and it was too large for our needs.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #34
Javi

I have a 17" and cook pretty much anything you can cook on any other flat top..

For the two of us it's plenty.. eggs, bacon or sausage and river taters only take up so much room.. Couple of weeks ago I cooked up a couple of pounds of fajita's with onions, and peppers all slopped together and it sure was good..

Now if I was cooking for more people then a bigger one might come in handy.. but we can barely stand each other, so we don't have many folks stop by for meals...
Old 12-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have a 17" and cook pretty much anything you can cook on any other flat top..

For the two of us it's plenty.. eggs, bacon or sausage and river taters only take up so much room.. Couple of weeks ago I cooked up a couple of pounds of fajita's with onions, and peppers all slopped together and it sure was good..

Now if I was cooking for more people then a bigger one might come in handy.. but we can barely stand each other, so we don't have many folks stop by for meals...

^^^^Ha! We're exactly the same. DW and I are like peas in a pod but figure that's because we've hung out with each other for so long. Other folks think I'm "grumpy" or just ?? Maybe cause I never had any PC attributes.

The 17" was too small for my son but he generally cooks LOTS of stuff and just gives it away to the folks that always seem to show up. I tried breakfast on it once but I can get a little sloppy on a flattop so went with the 22 so I'd have room to "throw" things around and they would still be on the grill and not over the edge.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:40 AM   #36
jasin1

Looks like a blackstone is next for me as well. I have a little magma boat grill now. Is the tailgater a good choice? Want to have the griddle but also grill side Sorry if I hijacked
Old 12-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #37
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinDixie View Post

I don’t sell anything on Craigslist anymore for less then $500. That seems to be the cutoff point for craziness that I have found. Anything less then that and I get a million questions and emails back and forth. People seem to like to bargain and dicker over small purchases. I tried to sell a sailboat and trailer a few years back for $200 and the amount of people that waisted my time drove me crazy. The trailer itself was worth more then $200..I would rather give something to someone that needs it then bring strangers to my house for $20.. but that’s just me and my experience
Old 01-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #38
behrmr

For anyone that's replaced the capital grill with a blackstone 22" grill can you tell me what the height of the 22" grill is with the griddle stored upside down on it? I have a pretty small "slot" on my 302RLS to work with. The height is about 7.5" but I am pretty sure it would fit stored. I am just trying to avoid buying a grill just to get this measurement and then have to return it. Thanks!
behrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:56 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by behrmr View Post
For anyone that's replaced the capital grill with a blackstone 22" grill can you tell me what the height of the 22" grill is with the griddle stored upside down on it? I have a pretty small "slot" on my 302RLS to work with. The height is about 7.5" but I am pretty sure it would fit stored. I am just trying to avoid buying a grill just to get this measurement and then have to return it. Thanks!

I carry mine like that but do not know the exact measurement and it's set up for use right now. Reckon you have a store that has a display where you could do that? Nothing to it and takes about a minute.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #40
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Won't need the big regulator, just need the adaptor that converts the connector on the Blackstone to a quick connect hose so we can hook it up the the line on the underbelly which is already regulated. I think that will only leave a little stub sticking out the side that will need clearance.

I just ordered the 22" Blackstone direct from the factory. I will let you know how it goes! Wish me luck!
Reviving this thread.

Brantel, I have the same rig and am looking at the 22" also. How did the install go? Any tips, tricks or photos?