Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Discolored Decals

I looked at other posts with search trying to figure out what is going on with my trailer and the decals. I wash/wax/303 regularly with the exception of approx. 5 mos. sitting in FL during the winter. It stays in covered, insulated storage when not in use.

I washed the trailer (after having the roof treated) at the end of April. At that point I moved it to the covered/enclosed/insulated facility. Since that time I have worked on buffing/polishing/303ing the sides. I have not done one side. Looking at it last evening, then more closely today, I have one stretch of decals (2) on the driver side that are now showing red stains...primarily in the lighter color in the middle of a larger/wider decal. One, under the window, looks like a long drip; yet it isn't. They all appear to be decal deterioration due to the adhesive underneath.

My thoughts; has anyone ever stopped this? Do I need to saturate the decal in 303? We're thinking the heat in the storage building but it is nothing like the direct sun. It's not at the point of tearing off the decals and replacing...yet, but from May to now, and the sudden discoloration of the decals makes me wonder if I will have to do something sooner rather than later. Thoughts?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Frank G

Question, is this a solid color vinyl graphic? I doubt it is, but I do not know with out seeing it. Solid color vinyl will fade a bit over time but the normal failure is to harden, crack, and peal up at the edges. I suspect the vinyl decals you have are printed using a solvent CMYK printer. I doubt they are laminated with a clear material as this would drive up the cost. Unlaminated printed graphics have a industry recognized 3 year life, with minimal fading. Just look at the highway billboards, they are now all printed banner material. Using the best 3-M print vinyl and overlaminate that life can be extended to 8 to 10 years using good ink sets. Pricing for a quality printed and laminated graphic would be around $8.00/sq.ft. vrs $2.00 for a run of the mill print.

What I think you are seeing is some sort of chemical attack that bleached out some of the colors and left the magenta. Printing errors occur and maybe it was a bad spot in the print vinyl.

I hope this gives you some insight into the printed vinyl industry and I wish I could offer some solutions. Personally I have no knowledge of any products that can prevent further deterioration.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Frank. I would have taken a picture but had no way to do that last evening. I am going to try to get out today and do it.

After looking at it closely yesterday it does appear to be some sort of breakdown in the vinyl graphic. Both sides have the same long swoops of graphic designs and this is happening on 2 approx. 4' sections that run next to each other. At first I thought the folks that park back to back to us might have gotten something on the trailer but upon further inspection the issue is right in the middle of the graphic (the lighter swath) generally except in one spot where it is in the middle of the dark grey/black. I suspect there is nothing to be done except to keep the trailer covered and the vinyl covered in 303. At some point I will see if they can replace the graphic - hopefully with the same design.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Bisjoe

I had a sign business for 16 years, and the best high-performance vinyl is 2 mil thickness, and should last 8-10 years on a flat vertical surface. Rather than pay for a custom color to be made by a manufacturer such as 3M, Arlon, or Oracal, it may be screenprinted or done on large format printer/cutter over the vinyl, and that has a much shorter 3-4 year life. Any time you see more than one color or a fade on one piece of vinyl it has been printed. Most inks will discolor from chemicals more than solid color premium vinyl, and will also fade faster from the sun. There are Liquid laminate products such as ClearShield that increases UV protection and provides water and chemical resistance, but that too only has a 3-4 year life. Even the typical printed graphic full vehicle wraps have only 5-7 years durability.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Joe. I was rather disappointed when I saw it...and it happened sitting in the storage building over the last few months. Thankfully it is only on those 2 strips. Other than the first year it has spent all of its life covered for about 7 mos. a year and the rest out and about. It's first trip was in April of '14 so maybe it's about time for them to start deteriorating.

I pulled up ClearShield and read about it. I'm not sure how it would be applied to the vinyl decals on the glossy sides of the trailer; plus, it's about $100 a gallon...and I need just a bit. Guess I'll keep them coated in 303 until I have to try finding replacements.

Tags
decals