Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
arcticcatred

Newbie to it all!

Hello all! I am a newbie to the rv world, would appreciate all the help and info you all can provide. My TV is a 2006 Chevrolet ext cab 4x4 with 5.3L automatic transmission, 3.42 gears w/ tow package. I am looking at purchasing a 2012 Keystone Cougar 24rls. Do you think this will be a good fit for my truck? Will I need a WD hitch? Will I need to purchase a surge protector for the TT? Any other info on what I may need and what to watch out for is much appreciated!
arcticcatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
f6bits

From the towing guide, it looks like you have a 7,700 towing capacity. Dry weight of the trailer is 5907, with a carrying capacity of 1293. Total of about 7,200. Tongue weight is 680, so if that doesn’t cause your rear axle or total truck payload to go over, you’ll be fine.

A weight distributing hitch is a good idea, especially with a “light duty” truck, as opposed to the 2500/3500 trucks. And the accompanying sway control also helps.

A surge protector, such as the SurgeGuard is *always* a good idea, and money well-spent. It’ll protect against surges, under voltages, and incorrect wiring.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Herap

I agree with Sdayman on the surge protector. It's a small cost for electrical insurance instead of having to replace a refrigerator or furnace because of some campgrounds incorrect wiring.
But, enough of that, welcome to the forum and camping . Hope you have many find days camping. Let us know how you do (with pictures too!) .

Ray
Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Handysam

Welcome to the forum. Yes on the WD hitch, and yes on the surge protected. Remember "Safety First". The best way to check for proper weighing off the combination, is to load the truck with everything you would take on a typical trip, people, fire wood, food, full fuel tank and go weigh the truck. Take those numbers and use the gross vehicle weight of the camper to get your total number. IMO using the numbers that sdayman posted I think you will be fine. Like he said the weak links will be your trucks payload numbers and rear axle numbers. Happy Camping, Sam