Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #1
Dave W

Two propane regulators on newer units

I made a discovery yesterday!

If you have two propane bottles and they are separated by 60 inches or more, you are required to have a step down, 30 psig output regulator, usually on the curbside bottle**.

OK, with that said, I had a problem last fall where I lost feed from that regulated bottle which was far from empty. I have a new two stage auto change over regulato to install but want to do both but would like a manufacturer and a part number if anyone has it available - that step down regulator is in a tight spot to see without pulling it out. Of course, I could just eliminate that step down regulator too, but ..... see below

**FYI : The NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles says:

"5.3.11.2 Propane system pressure shall be regulated to a pressure of 30 psi (207 kpa) or less within 60 in. (1.5m) of the container outlet."
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Any RV dealership will have the step-down or "high pressure" regulator in stock. That regulator does more than just "sit there because it's required by code"... Here is one thread that discusses it fairly well: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...step+regulator Check bobbecky's post #6, he explains why it's there in good, easy to understand terms.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
travelin texans

Replace both step down & changeover with Marshall brand regulators. The cheap Chinese regulators that came originally are junk.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
travelin texans

Try this
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...lator_06.0440?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Dave W

John - Please fully read what my OP said as your response reads like you really haven't

I have read the author's linked post both here and his MOC thread and intend on replacing the suspect item

This is not an inflated price RV stealership parts department item but a simple Marshal Excelsior, MB Sturgis or even a Camco or similar branded 10 buck item

Back to my original question - does anyone have a part number. If not, then I'll pull the existing one off and go from there
Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I made a discovery yesterday!

If you have two propane bottles and they are separated by 60 inches or more, you are required to have a step down, 30 psig output regulator, usually on the curbside bottle**.

OK, with that said, I had a problem last fall where I lost feed from that regulated bottle which was far from empty. I have a new two stage auto change over regulato to install but want to do both but would like a manufacturer and a part number if anyone has it available - that step down regulator is in a tight spot to see without pulling it out. Of course, I could just eliminate that step down regulator too, but ..... see below
**FYI : The NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles says:

"5.3.11.2 Propane system pressure shall be regulated to a pressure of 30 psi (207 kpa) or less within 60 in. (1.5m) of the container outlet."
Dave W,

I did read your original post "FULLY" and was responding to the part that I highlighted in RED above. Since I don't have separated propane tanks, I don't have the high pressure regulator, but if I did, rest assured that I'd rush right out there in the cold and get the numbers for you.... Yeah, I know...

Anyway, I do hope you find the part numbers you need. You might try looking at the Trekwood site. I'm sure it's listed by part number/nomenclature there. Alternatively, you can always use Google to find a Marshall 30# high pressure regulator or even walk out and take the defective one out of your trailer to get the "exact numbers" from your specific regulator...

My comment was intended to offer a suggestion NOT to bypass or eliminate that regulator, it does serve a purpose. Of course, if you so choose to do just that, it'd would be perfectly fine with me. Hope you have a "wunnerful day" after unloading

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Dave W

The existing regulator was a Fairview GB-630, a brand which I have never heard of. It is being replaced by a Marshall Excelsior MEGR 130-30 along with a new 20" pigtail. The two stage on the other side is also being replaced by a Marshall, p/n MEGR 253.

The new single stage regulator and hose are on order from RV Upgrades and a couple bucks, even with shipping. cheaper then AMAZON plus I like to give a smaller company my business if possible vs AMAZON that didn't pay a nickle in US taxes last year.

The Fairview is a 100 pound input vs a 250 pound input for the Marshall. The Fairview has a 500,000 Btu output vs 1.2 million for the Marshall

Tags
propane