Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
cvin

furnace not blowing much air

since it has not been really cold not sure if this has been a problem all along

this trailer has the crappy slide thermostat and it is hard to tell where it is actually set
a couple of times in the morning i thought it seemed too chilly but hard to tell if the thermostat just needed turning up

i put in a digital coleman, direct swap out

and the first night it seemed fine, but was not really cold

then last nite was the coldest it has been and it was obvious the thing comes on when i turn the heat on but when the temp drops below the set temp it does not come back on, no matter how cold it gets

from the beginning it did not some seem like it had great air flow from the vents

today the mobile rv guy was here working on other problems and i had him look at the furnace
he stood outside by the vent and had me turn it on, he said it wasnt blowing much

came in and took the cover off etc and said usually when the fan motor is blowing but bad it squeals, mine is not doing that but he said i dont have good airflow and the fan motor needs to me swapped out or rebuilt or something

this makes me SOOO happy lol

2015 with no use and the fan motor is bad????? how is that even possible

oh well

we left the cover off the furnace and i checked the vents inside for blockages anyway but i dont see any and all of them blow about the same..

i also took a flashlight and double checked the outside vents and just like the inside all of it looks brand new and clean, no blockages

but sitting next to the furnace i feel a lot of heat coming out around the square front panel where 2 of the silver round vent tubes connect

like the bottom of it lets a lot of air out, especially where the panel is cut out around things

the guy has to call about parts monday, and at that point i will decide on doing the fan motor repair or not

since i plan to put in a olympian wave anyway may just not waste the money

but my 2 questions are
would low air pressure cause it to not "relight" when the temp drops?

and is there some kind of safe material that i can put inside the furnace panel and tighten it down so i dont have so many leaks around the bottom of it?

cannot see any reason for it to be that way, nothing to heat under there- it is not going down into the basement...

know i bitch a lot about this camper, but i DO appreciate all the help you guys give me, it has just been the worst purchase of my life lol

and i have owned LOTS of trucks, cars, trailers, campers etc
never had anything like this
Old 10-07-2017, 05:06 AM   #2
rhagfo

Factory install of furnace leaves a lot of air leaks!
Foil duct tape is your best friend.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Before you spend any money on replacing a motor or any other repairs to the furnace, hop on down to Home Depot (or where ever) and buy a roll of the foil HVAC tape. Check out your entire heat ducting system starting at the furnace looking for air leaks. When you find one, use the tape to fix it. I took the time to make sure all the places where the ducting ends in a floor vent is sealed properly so that as much warm air as possible gets up into the interior of the trailer. My furnace in the Cougar had lots of leaks where the ducting connects to the furnace. The HVAC tape solved the problem big time. The HVAC tape is OK for hot air ducting and the furnace shell itself. It will stand up to the heat.

Take all the vent covers off the floor vents. Find yourself a long (6' maybe) flexible something to thread through the vents. You're looking for obstructions. Many folks have reported all kinds stuff in the ducts besides dirt. If you have a vacuum with a long hose, clean out the ducts as best you can. My dog sheds like crazy twice a year, and it's enough to clog up a vent. If you don't have a shop vac or similar, fasten a cheap feather duster (or similar) on the end of your long, flexible thing, and push it through.

There are literally dozens of threads on this same topic going back many years here. Some of them are as recent as a couple of weeks ago. It's a very common problem to all RV's and not just Keystone. The Search function will help you find some of them.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
cvin

sorry to be so long posting back, for some reason i did not get the normal email notices that anyone posted on this thread

the furnace as far i could tell inside and on the outside vents with a flashlight is pristine/clean

had the rv repair guy put the silver tape all around the front furnace panel, i used the furnace one more nite before we put the silver tape on and it did not fail to relight...

but i had the olympian wave 8 installed, which was my plan anyway- this thing is bigger than i expected...

right now not using the trailer for a week or so and too hot in southern az to need heat

in a month or so when we hopefully need heat i will use both units some and post an update here

have to do some work on the black water tank in the next month or so and plan to add some of that white insulation underneath and check all the heater vents from underneath

Tags
furnace