Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
kevinp72

Upgraded Mattress...Still not comfortable.

DW and I have already replaced the factory mattress in our 2016 Passport 2670BH with a similar mattress to what we have in the house. Same brand, different line, similar plushness

I've reinforced the platform some by adding a cleat to the wall of the pass-through and a few cross pieces in the inside storage area to support the lifting plywood from bowing.

We aren't the smallest of people...nor the largest. Combined 550 lbs.

We still wake to slight back pain.

Had a weekend with the kids without DW and still issues

Anyone do some changes to platform? Change the plywood for thicker?

Our first extended outing is coming up soon and need to find a solution.
kevinp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
lesleyinky

Sounds like you may be looking for more support to the platform, but I can offer my two cents on the mattress itself. I read a lot of reviews and went with the highly rated 4" Serta memory foam and pillow top combo and its unreal. We love it......we just placed it over the mattress that came with the camper. As a matter of fact, we prefer it over our nice mattress in our house!

Couple of things to mention ....we bought it at Kohls and used a promo code for a great deal. King size for about $150 after discounts. (I've also seen it at Sam's club.) Tip - we used an electric knife to trim it for a perfect fit. The electric knife on the foam was like a hot knife on butter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
theeyres

I can't imagine that the plywood base would be your problem but it would be an easy fix...just buy some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and cut to size, lay it on top of the base and you would be ready to go. If it works then you could screw it permanently to the base, move the piano hinge, etc.

Unfortunately if that doesn't fix it, then the bed you bought still isn't the right one for you. The foam topper mentioned above is great--we have one--but don't know if it would work over a pillow top.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
slow

My guess: If you are both side sleepers, I suspect that a topper would help since your shoulders may be bottoming out on the platform where as at home with a box spring you may not be. That was the problem I had until we replaced our TT mattress with a thicker residential mattress.

But if you are back sleepers, stiffening the platform may be what you need.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

We just went through this exercise with our trailer.

What we found is that the mattress that felt "just right" in the store didn't in the trailer. The only thing we could figure is that the lack of a box spring, and just laying directly on the plywood foundation, made it more firm. The store manager concurred.

We bought a Denver Mattress Doctor's Choice Plush. It isn't a top of the line mattress but it sleeps good. Our house mattresses are all Simmons Beauty Rest Black Label? and we really like them. Did not get one for the RV because of the weight. We tried to balance comfort with the weight because our bed is right at the front of the trailer and we already have a heavy tongue weight. You might look into the Denver Mattress products, or their stores. Free return for up to a year. We took our first one back after the first trip. We don't use memory foam or TempurPedic mattresses because they make me uncomfortable so.......

Forgot to mention; we just spent about 2 months out in it and the mattress is good but I am going to stiffen the platform.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
cpaulsen

We tried a lot at the store and found one we liked and have no regrets. Been 3 years ago and still happy!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
kevinp72

Thanks everyone for your input.

Both house and trailer purchased at The Original Mattress Factory.

We purchased a mattress that was more plush than our house one because of the stiffer platform. A Euro pillow top versus a plush model.

We are both side sleepers so we could be bottoming out. I might have to do a test, bring the mattress inside and sleep a night with it on the floor.

It could be the base......We both feel the pain slightly below shoulder blades just about the same spot the pass through wall is, which is very inflexible.

I've been thinking about adding more or thicker sheet of plywood to stiffen the platform.

I also thought about putting a steel platform base frame over it as well. Would be about the same weight....45 lbs.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
GaryWT

We finally got tired of the RV mattress and got a Denver RV mattress as well. I usually do not like foam mattresses but we got an 11 inch thick one and it is nice. Each time I sleep on it I like it better and better. We did still put the topper we had on it. At home we sleep on air.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
bobbecky

We still had the original mattress that came with our rig, although after the first couple of nights on it, we purchased a high end, non-foam, mattress cover/pad, which made it comfortable. It finally began to fail due to the weak springs. When we were in Fresno, CA earlier this year, we visited a custom mattress manufacturer, told him what we had and what we were looking for. We also needed the mattress to be an RV king with the radius corners. He suggested a high density foam core with a 2 inch layer of softer foam on either side, and all this foam is latex, not the memory foam. It took a couple of days to adjust to it, but it is perfect for us, no bottoming out on the plywood base, and it can be flipped, unlike the original mattress. I asked if he ships, and he said yes, but it would be better to visit his showroom to sample what he has. He even said if someone wanted a mattress made and was traveling through the area, a call to him ahead of time so he could make sure he had the necessary supplies, and there is room to park behind his shop, and he could make the mattress in less than a day, remove the old one and install the new one and even redo it if it wasn't quite right. He's a bit of a character, but knows mattresses. www.abetterbed.com which is not working right now, but the number is 559-348-9015 I would think there are custom manufacturers in other parts of the country, so that may be an option.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
tommy_z

My first mod was a 3" 4-pound memory foam mattress added on top of the basic factory mattress which is sitting on plywood. It's more comfortable than my home bed.

I'm a heavier person, and a side sleeper. Higher foam density will make a difference too, not just the thickness. See if you can get a 3" or 4" thick 4-8 pound topper.
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #11
kevinp72

Well it is at least in part the mattress. My wife and I slept on it last night on the floor in our living room. We both woke to the some slight uncomfort, mine similar to when in the trailer.

With it being new I now get to see how the comfort guaranty we have covers this.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #12
MissJordan

Four years ago we bought a memory foam mattress for our house and found one to fit in our camper. I absolutely love the foam! For the one we got in our camper we also bought a cover for it to help keep out the moisture fluctuations so the mattress stays protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MissJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #13
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp72 View Post
Well it is at least in part the mattress. My wife and I slept on it last night on the floor in our living room. We both woke to the some slight uncomfort, mine similar to when in the trailer.

With it being new I now get to see how the comfort guaranty we have covers this.
Try putting a mattress topper under the mattress. I sleep really well on our topper (which is on top), but an additional topper under the mattress might solve your dilemma.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:53 AM   #14
kevinp72

Well we replaced the replacement mattress with the same model we sleep on every night in the bricks and sticks.

After some painful nights sleeping on the mattress on the floor in the house, we definitely had an issue with the mattress or the way we sleep... back sleeping was fine... .side sleeping... could feel my shoulders slumping.

I even went as far to sleep on my youngest childs mattress on the floor for several nights to see if it would be a good fit for us. It was purchased the same time we got the replacement for TT, same line but a different "comfort" level. It had issues as well.

We had to pay a small percentage fee and the cost difference between the mattresses. So we paid a bit more that if we started where we ended up. But now if we have issues... we either have an issue with the trailer or a defective mattress.

On the positive side we were able to donate the mattress we were replacing to a charity. Hopefully it will give someone some good nights rest and us a little offset on the tax bill.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We still had the original mattress that came with our rig, although after the first couple of nights on it, we purchased a high end, non-foam, mattress cover/pad, which made it comfortable. It finally began to fail due to the weak springs. When we were in Fresno, CA earlier this year, we visited a custom mattress manufacturer, told him what we had and what we were looking for. We also needed the mattress to be an RV king with the radius corners. He suggested a high density foam core with a 2 inch layer of softer foam on either side, and all this foam is latex, not the memory foam. It took a couple of days to adjust to it, but it is perfect for us, no bottoming out on the plywood base, and it can be flipped, unlike the original mattress. I asked if he ships, and he said yes, but it would be better to visit his showroom to sample what he has. He even said if someone wanted a mattress made and was traveling through the area, a call to him ahead of time so he could make sure he had the necessary supplies, and there is room to park behind his shop, and he could make the mattress in less than a day, remove the old one and install the new one and even redo it if it wasn't quite right. He's a bit of a character, but knows mattresses. www.abetterbed.com which is not working right now, but the number is 559-348-9015 I would think there are custom manufacturers in other parts of the country, so that may be an option.
BINGO

Until you've slept on latex foam you don't know what you're missing.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #16
tmac56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp72 View Post
DW and I have already replaced the factory mattress in our 2016 Passport 2670BH with a similar mattress to what we have in the house. Same brand, different line, similar plushness

I've reinforced the platform some by adding a cleat to the wall of the pass-through and a few cross pieces in the inside storage area to support the lifting plywood from bowing.

We aren't the smallest of people...nor the largest. Combined 550 lbs.

We still wake to slight back pain.

Had a weekend with the kids without DW and still issues

Anyone do some changes to platform? Change the plywood for thicker?

Our first extended outing is coming up soon and need to find a solution.
Im not a svelt as I was in the 70's and I got a custom cut memory foam mattress with significant density and I sleep great - worth the upgrade. I also got the same foam for the dinette - huge difference

TT: Cougar TT 21RBSWE - 2014
TV: Ford F-150 Eco Guzzle XTR - 2013
tmac56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
spdracr39

we bought a 1" memory foam topper for our standard mattress and it is very comfortable.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
Dave W

When we bought our '14 Montana HC, one purchase condition we made was that the almost brand new Simmons Beautirest in the traded in 5er would be swapped to the new one. A 35 pound, $200+/- low end RV mattress just doesn't compare to a $1200 high end pillow top. Do you need to spend that level of dollars? Probably not, but you do need to factor in that you spend about 1/3rd of your life in a bed so it needs to be right to get your needed sleep. If the OPs existing mattress is a short queen or king as found in many RVs, then mods might be needed to extend the length of the platform if possible. If that's not a viable option, then maybe a custom mattress could be made. A memory foam mattress may also be a way to go, but not all folks can sleep well on those. We tried one and neither of us had a good sleep.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote