Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
Fast_frank_d

20lb Propane tanks with 15-18lbs and OPD

Hey all, I used to have 20lb propane tanks that I got refilled with 20lbs. Then they expired, and I could not find a convenient re-certification place, so I exchanged them for Blue Rhino tanks with 15lbs in them. I took the Blue Rhino tanks to the refill place, and they could NOT get any more propane in, suggesting that they were not just "under-filled", but the OPD was actually set to 15lb. For long trips, I want 20lbs in my tanks, so here are my questions, hopefully in order of simplicity:

1.) Does any major chain exchange tanks with 20lb in them?
2.) Is there a way to identify what "poundage" an OPD is set at by looking at markings on the outside?
3.) Do the new tanks you buy at Lowes or wherever have the OPD setting identified?
4.) Can the OPD be modified or replaced for another one that goes to 20lb?

Thanks!
Frank
Fast_frank_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

20 pound propane tanks at Sams Club are $32 and 30 pound tanks (special order) are $48. I'd suspect you'll spend near that much "modifying" your Blue Rhino tank with "upgraded parts". Even if you do it, you'll still be stuck with a tank that "ages out" before a new one will expire.

Now just might be a great time to upgrade to 30 pound tanks for about $100. All you'll need is a new, longer "center screw rod" available at any hardware store.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
Snoking

I believe all small propane tanks were designed with 10% room for expansion. So a 5gal 20 lb tank normally hold 4.5 +/- or 18 lbs. Tanks are stamped with empty and full weight.

The exchange tank vendors have been ripping people off for years, as their tank are not completely full to 90%.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
Fast_frank_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
20 pound propane tanks at Sams Club are $32 and 30 pound tanks (special order) are $48. I'd suspect you'll spend near that much "modifying" your Blue Rhino tank with "upgraded parts". Even if you do it, you'll still be stuck with a tank that "ages out" before a new one will expire.

Now just might be a great time to upgrade to 30 pound tanks for about $100. All you'll need is a new, longer "center screw rod" available at any hardware store.

I prefer 20lb tanks for the reduced weight, and so I can exchange with my grill or a convenience store in a pinch (I've encountered refill place empty at the same time I was). I don't have or need a Sam's club membership, so not really worth that cost, but would be interested in knowing if the Sam's 20lb tanks will definitely hold 20lbs.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
Fast_frank_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I believe all small propane tanks were designed with 10% room for expansion. So a 5gal 20 lb tank normally hold 4.5 +/- or 18 lbs. Tanks are stamped with empty and full weight.

The exchange tank vendors have been ripping people off for years, as their tank are not completely full to 90%.

My understanding was that the 20lb rating includes that safety margin. 4.2lb/gal x 4.7gal is a complete fill (with vapor margin at room temperature). 19lb fill when it's really hot outside, 18lb fill was the first time the industry started cheating us. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
KeithInUpstateNY

20 lb tanks are also currently 32.99 at Tractor Supply, regular price is 34.99.

As was previously suggested it is generally considered not to be cost effective to recertify 20 pound tanks.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
Eastham

Rhino tanks say net 15 lb on the paperwork about $19.00 to exchange. I just filled a 20 lb at tractor supply fo $13.40 and got 4.8 gallons.i have also had rhino tanks filled and got 4.8 gallons put in them .just have to make sure they are in date which a lot of rhino tanks are dated 99 or around there.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Propane tanks (of any size) should only ever be filled to 80% of stated capacity to allow for expansion of the gas as temperature fluctuates. To help avoid excessive heat gain (and subsequent gas expansion), outside propane tanks are almost always white. Interestingly enough, many of the Keystone units come through with a black plastic propane tank cover, which of course defeats the intent of painting the tanks white.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Propane tanks (of any size) should only ever be filled to 80% of stated capacity to allow for expansion of the gas as temperature fluctuates. To help avoid excessive heat gain (and subsequent gas expansion), outside propane tanks are almost always white. Interestingly enough, many of the Keystone units come through with a black plastic propane tank cover, which of course defeats the intent of painting the tanks white.
You type faster than me!
Regardless of size of tank from 1 gallon to 1000s of gallons only 80% fill.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
Fast_frank_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Rhino tanks say net 15 lb on the paperwork about $19.00 to exchange. I just filled a 20 lb at tractor supply fo $13.40 and got 4.8 gallons.i have also had rhino tanks filled and got 4.8 gallons put in them .just have to make sure they are in date which a lot of rhino tanks are dated 99 or around there.
I wonder what the deal was with my Rhino tank that my Tractor Supply could not get any more into it? Now I am very confused about that.

Just for excrutiating clarification, are you saying you bought a 20 lb tank at Tractor Supply and then had it filled at Tractor Supply and got 4.8 gal (20lb)? The reason I'm asking is that I have this irrational fear that if I buy a new tank, the OPD will still shut the valve at 15lb.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
notanlines

Propane weighs 4.2 pounds per gallon. If any of y'all had 20# tanks refilled and they ACTUALLY pumped 4.8 gallons then you reached 20 pounds by any calculations. I'm just sayin'....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
Frank G

Just did a quick search on OPD valves and found they are specific to tank size and the OPD valve number is stamped on the tank. (very highly regulated) If a refiller is only providing 15 lbs I would think it is a scale shutoff and not the OPD valve stopping the flow.

I learned something today, my local refiller stopped using the scale and the meter stopped at the appropriate number. Now I know why. I always take in empty tanks.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_frank_d View Post
I wonder what the deal was with my Rhino tank that my Tractor Supply could not get any more into it? Now I am very confused about that.

Just for excrutiating clarification, are you saying you bought a 20 lb tank at Tractor Supply and then had it filled at Tractor Supply and got 4.8 gal (20lb)? The reason I'm asking is that I have this irrational fear that if I buy a new tank, the OPD will still shut the valve at 15lb.
Your tank may have some residual water in it or a buildup of Mercaptin from extended use. If it's an "exchange tank from Blue Rhino" the previous "renter of the tank" may have filled the empty tank with "heaven knows what" before turning it in. I'd guess that the "fill station" doesn't purge every tank prior to filling, which is probably another reason why they only fill it with 15 pounds of LPG. That way, they aren't overfilling tanks on their automated fill line.

If there's a half gallon of water in the tank, if it's never been purged and if TSC tries to put LPG in the "empty, but partially filled with water" tank, well, they won't be able to get the full amount of LPG per the tare weight.

You might want to weigh the "empty tank" and see if the weight matches the weight stamped on the tank flange. My guess is it's off a couple pounds.

Propane tanks "should be" purged when put into service and at each certification. My guess is your tank needs to be purged so you can start with a 'truly empty tank".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #14
Fast_frank_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Just did a quick search on OPD valves and found they are specific to tank size and the OPD valve number is stamped on the tank. (very highly regulated) If a refiller is only providing 15 lbs I would think it is a scale shutoff and not the OPD valve stopping the flow.

I learned something today, my local refiller stopped using the scale and the meter stopped at the appropriate number. Now I know why. I always take in empty tanks.
I'm learning too. I always thought it was a back pressure shut off when the OPD valve closed, I did not realize about the scale shut off. I'm going to try another refiller with a fresh rhino tank and see what happens.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I've read this thread and think it's interesting - how much is in a tank; how much goes in the tank; how full do they fill the tank; are Rhino tank replacements less??

Not to be callous but, why do we care? I run out of propane, I go to abc dealer and pay whatever it costs to fill it.... Am I going to dispute it? Ask for a "gallon" price when they have none? Drive down the road for 30 miles to save $1 or 2?

I do think that knowing "gallons" in the tank, "weight" for the tank is very beneficial and something everyone with an RV should know. When you have a "blank" tank of ? gal/weight size it's probably good to know what it "should be" but to fret over, what, $2 max in what goes in the tank? I guess I'm lost on that - and I travel all the time. I know lots of folks fret over lots of things, but for me and LP....I'm out, fill it, thank you. I spend thousands of dollars on vehicle fuel; I need fuel now, you're here, it costs x.....I don't care.

When I was a young boy my dad was anal about finding the "best" gas price. The Cosden station on the route to the next town (with the little balls floating in the top of the pump)_ sold gas for .19 a gallon. He based that for his purchases. We would drive miles, run out of gas, push the car so we could buy gas at the "cheapest" place. They even had places in the "line" where they would go out and fill up with "drip" gas. Done. Not for me.

We have reached a point with fuel prices; diesel (which used to be cheap), gasoline or "whatever" are at what used to be unbelievable prices; propane, in a small tank, 15lb./20lb/30lb., and I pay a buck or 2 more. Sorry guys, I don't care nor will I spend zero time to try to run down a cheap place, at the cost of $5-10 to save $2. As always JMO/YMMV
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #16
Fast_frank_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've read this thread and think it's interesting - how much is in a tank; how much goes in the tank; how full do they fill the tank; are Rhino tank replacements less??

Not to be callous but, why do we care? I run out of propane, I go to abc dealer and pay whatever it costs to fill it.... Am I going to dispute it? Ask for a "gallon" price when they have none? Drive down the road for 30 miles to save $1 or 2?

I do think that knowing "gallons" in the tank, "weight" for the tank is very beneficial and something everyone with an RV should know. When you have a "blank" tank of ? gal/weight size it's probably good to know what it "should be" but to fret over, what, $2 max in what goes in the tank? I guess I'm lost on that - and I travel all the time. I know lots of folks fret over lots of things, but for me and LP....I'm out, fill it, thank you. I spend thousands of dollars on vehicle fuel; I need fuel now, you're here, it costs x.....I don't care.

When I was a young boy my dad was anal about finding the "best" gas price. The Cosden station on the route to the next town (with the little balls floating in the top of the pump)_ sold gas for .19 a gallon. He based that for his purchases. We would drive miles, run out of gas, push the car so we could buy gas at the "cheapest" place. They even had places in the "line" where they would go out and fill up with "drip" gas. Done. Not for me.

We have reached a point with fuel prices; diesel (which used to be cheap), gasoline or "whatever" are at what used to be unbelievable prices; propane, in a small tank, 15lb./20lb/30lb., and I pay a buck or 2 more. Sorry guys, I don't care nor will I spend zero time to try to run down a cheap place, at the cost of $5-10 to save $2. As always JMO/YMMV
My OP referencing "long trips" is a bit vague, I admit, but it's clearly not about the money. More explicitly stated, when camping at 9000 feet and 50 miles from the nearest propane, I want to have the most capacity possible without dragging the extra weight/inconvenience of more tanks through the mountains. Money isn't the primary motive for the thread, but just to maintain factual accuracy for the discussion, the per-unit price of propane for exchange is almost double that of a refill (~$21 per 20lb exchange vs. $12 refill, not just $1-$2 difference)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 AM   #17
xrated

Exchange tanks will always be more costly, you're paying extra for the convenience
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #18
Northofu1

I just bought a new 20lb tank at Costco Canada last weekend, when filling I noticed a sign that said by law they can not refill it to 100% full. It was either 85% or 90%. That is new up here.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 AM   #19
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post

That is true, we live very rural and so live off of a 1000 gal. propane tank. Full is 800 gallons. The small tanks are white (or some light gray) just to keep the heat down. When we bought our new 26RBPR it had black covers as stated above.
I replaced with white cover.

Also agree with Frank (the OP) about capacity so replaced the 20's with 30's.

Frank, you can use them on your grill you just have to set them to the side instead of underneath.
More and more around here refill places are selling by the gallon instead of by weight. I think rather than worry about how full the 20's are, as per Sourdough, switching out to 30's is the way to go. I don't think the additional tongue weight on the TT is noticeable. I have never noticed but where do Fifth wheels carry their tanks?
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Most fivers have a tank on each side at the front of the unit. My old ‘97 Jayco 323RKS had both on the curb side at the front and 2 batteries on the curb side just behind the axles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank