Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #21
CaptainDave

We just picked up a MHC 331rl in October. We are currently traveling in Arizona. We have been RVers since 1995, we have had zero issues with our Monty water heater. Only thing we have done is buy a new shower head from Ecocamel from UK, best shower head and low flow and high pressure. Just my 2cents
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #22
Juanitopablo

Great your contribution, I write from Chile and I am surprised by how collaborative you are, between you.
It is worth mentioning, yes, that there are some somewhat impatient who write on the edge of criticism and sarcasm.
In the same way I congratulate you.
Juanitopablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
poelma

Tank Heaters

Also check that the hot water bypass is completely off. If not you will be mixing in cold water at the output of your tank.
poelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #24
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It’s NOT a “hot” water heater, hot water doesn’t need to be heated.

It’s a WATER HEATER. Really doesn’t matter to me but a tech that I used to work with would actually get mad if you called it a hot water heater.
I have wanted to make that point MANY times, thanks for being bold
Plumbers have the same problem as your tech.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #25
Elk4me

Quote:

It’s a WATER HEATER. Really doesn’t matter to me but a tech that I used to work with would actually get mad if you called it a hot water heater.
I call it a water heater, plumber since 1977.
2011 Open Range Roamer 281FL
2013 Chev Silverado 6.6 Duramax
Elk4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #26
Ksupaul

Quote:

Made me laugh Chuck, but I think you’re wrong. It’s heating hot water hotter more of the time than it’s heating not hot water hotter.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Cold water heater or hot water keeper ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:25 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

The water heater (electric element or open flame) heats the water in the tank making it a hot water tank. Some old plumbers also call it a boiler, even though it doesn't boil water. Does that clear things up?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:49 AM   #29
notanlines

The Reliance Company uses the phrase 'water heaters' countless times in their website. Nowhere does it say 'hot water heaters.' I would say they would know.
Call it what you like, I could care less...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #30
cavie

6 years. I have an oxy showerhead, I have never shut the water off during a shower. Run on gas only. Remember, it is only 6 gal. Get 'er done!
Old 03-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #31
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk4me View Post
I call it a water heater, plumber since 1977.
It says so on the box it came in!!!!
Old 03-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #32
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What is your trailer? Year/model etc. really, really helps when trying to answer some of these questions.

I have the trailer in my sig, also a 331. It has a 12 gal. hot water tank and every MHC 331RL I looked at did as well. What is yours?

Have you ever had an RV before? I assume you are aware (if it new...you said you just picked it up) that you can run both electric and LP at the same time greatly helping your run time. A little more info would go a very long way in helping you get accurate answers.
My keystone has the iN·command system ...it only lets you choose gas or electric...not both...am I missing something?
Old 03-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
My keystone has the iN·command system ...it only lets you choose gas or electric...not both...am I missing something?

Jasin, I don't have InCommand. I would assume they would have retained what is a very beneficial mode of operation....but maybe not. Probably one of the many reasons I specified a trailer without it. Hopefully someone knowledgeable about it will chime in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #34
Juanitopablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Mine, Springdale SG 240BH has the option to run on electricity and propane together
Juanitopablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:55 AM   #35
Mic

yep

been a spell since i heated hot water

Old 03-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

We have a water heater for the house. It's in the "far back corner" of the house. Our master bathroom is in the opposite corner of the house, so it's always a long wait for hot water in the sink. I "devised a work around" to install a 2.5 gallon electric water heater on the hot water side of the MB sink faucet. I didn't want to run out of hot water at that sink, so I cut the hot water line and installed the auxillary water heater on the hot water input to the sink faucet....

So, in reality, I suppose I am "heating hot water" to that faucet. Whatever, it sure is nice on a cold day, to turn on the tap and have warm/hot water within 1-2 seconds rather than 1-2 minutes.....

So, in a "round about way" I suppose I have a water heater for the house and a hot water heater for one sink.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #37
travelin texans

Sorry to get off track, but does anyone else find this annoying?
The CDC recommends saying your hands for 20 seconds with soap & warm/hot water, but I've never used the sink at any public restroom the the water ever got even room temperature??? Inquiring minds want to know......
No wonder this pandemic has went on so long, NO hot water!

SORRY! Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

All of the faucets in every Michigan rest area use sensors to start the flow and are timed to shut off after what seems like 4 or 5 seconds. Walmart and Lowe's are even worse. Their faucets are cold and have a "trickle sprayer" rather than a "water aerator" on the faucet, so not only do you only get a short burst of water, it's also "divided into piddly streams that don't even wet your hands.

So, yes, even with CDC's recommendation of washing with soap and warm water, most places, the best you can do is squirt some blue soap and hope for enough water to rinse it off before you become a smurf.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #39
notanlines

"I didn't want to run out of hot water at that sink, so I cut the hot water line and installed the auxiliary water heater on the hot water input to the sink faucet...."
I did the same thing in our kitchen, 5 gallon mounted in the garage exactly on the other side of the sink. Could not work better!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"I didn't want to run out of hot water at that sink, so I cut the hot water line and installed the auxiliary water heater on the hot water input to the sink faucet...."
I did the same thing in our kitchen, 5 gallon mounted in the garage exactly on the other side of the sink. Could not work better!
When we were installing central air, the "plumbing and heating" guy suggested we pay him to install a pump on the hot water lines. Apparently it's supposed to circulate the hot water through a "cyclic loop" so any faucet is always "ready with hot water".... I thought about it, nixed that idea as wasteful. Our house has "exposed PEX plumbing runs" throughout the crawl space. So, even though the crawl space is insulated and "somewhat heated" all that hot water "flowing through the pipes 24/7, at least to me, just seemed like an excellent way to keep the water heater in the "constant on mode".... So, I said, "No thanks" and came up with a different plan that so far, has worked great for about 3 or 4 years. Even though it's a small water heater (2.5 gal), by the time it's depleted, there's hot water from the main tank replenishing the supply. A significant plus: DW is always happy and no longer complaining, "DAMN COLD WATER"... Every time she said that, I reminded her that it was "her great idea that we move back to Michigan"... LOL (she NEVER smiles when I say that)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater