Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
21Bullet330bhs

Ladder install on 21 Bullett 330bhs

Hi all,
Hoping this is the right thread. We purchased a Bullet 330BHS last August. A ladder was not available at the time due to backlog. So I recently purchased a Stromburg ladder to install https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

The dealer had provided a back wall "map" which shows where the "ladder backers" are. The issue I have when going to install is this. Our rear escape window is on the right. So not wanting to block that I looked left. Well the license plate has been mounted on the left lower ladder backer with the tail light, which leaves practically no room to mount the lower ladder legs. Took it to a local RV center and they said they wouldn't install it for these reasons. Anyone have similar issues or can think of any possible solutions? Trying to attach some pics but can't get camper pic to rotate..
I'm thinking if the tag was on the right it wouldn't be an issue, but don't want to leave a bunch of holes from the transfer.
Has anyone used an OEM ladder? Mechanic said they are made to fit. Still not sure how it wouldn't block the tag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210217_153413[1].jpg
Views:	208
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	32040   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210217_160332[1].jpg
Views:	412
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	32041  
21Bullet330bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Bullet330bhs View Post
Hi all,
Hoping this is the right thread. We purchased a Bullet 330BHS last August. A ladder was not available at the time due to backlog. So I recently purchased a Stromburg ladder to install https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

The dealer had provided a back wall "map" which shows where the "ladder backers" are. The issue I have when going to install is this. Our rear escape window is on the right. So not wanting to block that I looked left. Well the license plate has been mounted on the left lower ladder backer with the tail light, which leaves practically no room to mount the lower ladder legs. Took it to a local RV center and they said they wouldn't install it for these reasons. Anyone have similar issues or can think of any possible solutions? Trying to attach some pics but can't get camper pic to rotate..
I'm thinking if the tag was on the right it wouldn't be an issue, but don't want to leave a bunch of holes from the transfer.
Has anyone used an OEM ladder? Mechanic said they are made to fit. Still not sure how it wouldn't block the tag.
Honestly I would buy a telescoping ladder from harbor freight or online somewhere...the ladders mounted on rv’s are flimsy at best and not very good on the attachment points..I use the harbor freight one on my fifth wheel even though I have a ladder
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	02B0D5FD-DDC8-48EA-A155-AAABE8CA6861.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	32042  
Old 02-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First, I'd question the installation of any ladder on any trailer. The vibration, roof attachment points and the rear wall attachment points are all subject to fail. I've seen more "roof leaks" and "damaged roof structure" from ladder attachments than from any other roof attachment... So, they are not "reliable".

Then there's the actual ladder. They are difficult to use, cause you to lean out, pulling the ladder away from the trailer just to climb. A folding or collapsing ladder is much safer and causes less damage to the trailer.

So, I'd urge you to reconsider whether you really want a permanently mounted ladder and all the "issues they bring"...

If you still want to install one, and the license plate is the only reason stopping you, why not remove both tail lights, put the one with the plate bracket on the curb side and the one without the plate bracket "under the ladder"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Honestly I would buy a telescoping ladder from harbor freight or online somewhere...the ladders mounted on rv’s are flimsy at best and not very good on the attachment points..I use the harbor freight one on my fifth wheel even though I have a ladder
I'd recommend this as well! Then you can go up anywhere around the rv you need to.
If you're wanting the ladder to hang stuff off of that's not recommended with any of the OEM ladders, as already stated they are flimsy at best.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
BrooksFam

This is my first TT and I don't know about OEM TT ladders cuz I don't have one but wish I did. They get a lot of bad press on this forum. My motorhome had an OEM ladder and it was great and I had no issues with it in the 15 years I had it. Not sure how much difference this makes but, I weigh under 200 lbs which may have helped with is trouble free function.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
This is my first TT and I don't know about OEM TT ladders cuz I don't have one but wish I did. They get a lot of bad press on this forum. My motorhome had an OEM ladder and it was great and I had no issues with it in the 15 years I had it. Not sure how much difference this makes but, I weigh under 200 lbs which may have helped with is trouble free function.
Lol funny guy...I’m 185 and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize they aren’t built for any real weight at all. Even the fasteners themselves move and creak when you climb it. It may be good for an occasional climb but why put all that stress on the wall of the rv?
Even the most basic search will show how many problems people have with them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	84A749E5-3054-4273-A3F6-F5E1AE898770.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	32044  
Old 02-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
BrooksFam

Well, I'm not a rocket scientist, but am a ME and have been the director of engineering at a Motorcoach manufacturer. I have never had trouble with an OEM ladder, but some have...…. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess......

Old 02-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Well, I'm not a rocket scientist, but am and ME and have been the director of engineering at a Motorcoach manufacturer. I have never had trouble with an OEM ladder, but some have...…. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess......
Motorcoachs in general seem to be built a bit more sturdy. I’m not sure if they have to meet a different standard or inspection certification but it seems when you take the motor out of the equation things get a little loose as far as standards go
Old 02-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Well, I'm not a rocket scientist, but am a ME and have been the director of engineering at a Motorcoach manufacturer. I have never had trouble with an OEM ladder, but some have...…. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess......
If you're a ME and have been the director of engineering at a Motorcoach manufacturer, then you know the significant differences in safety standards, structural rigidity to meet rollover certification and passenger compartment crash resistance requirements that go into a motorhome, none of which is applicable to a "pull behind box" that's not certified for passenger use.... Comparing a motorhome with a fiberglass roof, 2" heavy duty aluminum tubing frame members that are braced and crossbraced, 1/4" fiberglass exterior walls chemically adhered to the frame structure to a "x-lite trailer frame" is apples and oranges or better, reality and hoped for durability.

There's no comparison in durability between a 0.031" wall thick ness 2" square tube and a 0.25" wall thickness 2" square tube.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #10
BrooksFam

Like I said, I know nothing about TT ladders and have never had one. I've had motorhomes and this is my first TT.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #11
Weldon

Quote:
Like I said, I know nothing about TT ladders and have never had one. I've had motorhomes and this is my first TT.
We were 7.5hrs into a trip to Jekyll Island last year...30 mins from arrival when my daughter asks me why i strapped a tarp to the top of our TT. I adjusted my mirror and saw something flapping at the top of my camper...it was my roof. I almost swerved off the road when I realized this. Of course it was raining. I looked to my right, and there was harbor freight. I pulled over, checked my email, and found a coupon for the 14' telescoping ladder for $99. I purchased it, found a camping world, and resealed the top of our TT with the self leveling sealant. Haven't had an issue since then. However, I briefly considered installing a ladder on our TT, but really love the versatility in having the telescoping ladder. I've used it at home and several more times on the TT to recheck and reseal the top when we got back home. I would highly recommend this ladder. When traveling, I just lay it on one of the bunks or on our master bed.

https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...der-56729.html
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:02 PM   #12
Crossfired

I have a 2002 Dynamax Class B with the original ladder (looks identical to the Stromberg Carlson LA-401 on Amazon) and it is doing great after 20 years! I am up and down it all the time and it is rock solid. I was going to put that one on the Crossfire and then decided to just order a 10.5' telescoping ladder for all-around access convenience and not having to spend a day installing it.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:32 AM   #13
levic900rr

Get a little giant.
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfired View Post
I have a 2002 Dynamax Class B with the original ladder (looks identical to the Stromberg Carlson LA-401 on Amazon) and it is doing great after 20 years! I am up and down it all the time and it is rock solid. I was going to put that one on the Crossfire and then decided to just order a 10.5' telescoping ladder for all-around access convenience and not having to spend a day installing it.
Your class b construction and anchoring points are probably more robust..take the same ladder and mount it to flimsy fiberglass and luan plywood and it’s not so rock solid
Old 02-08-2022, 05:41 PM   #15
Crossfired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
... the same ladder and mount it to flimsy fiberglass and luan plywood and it’s not so rock solid
Not positive but I think my Crossfire is aluminum frame same as my old Dynamax.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:48 PM   #16
Mastrblastr

Made my own for my Bullet 212 RBS. Flexes a little when you climb it, but it attaches to the roof of my TT and then to the back of my bumper and is very solid. Made it out of 1/8 x 1 aluminum HSS. Needed roof access as I also build a roof rack to transport my canoe. All in all, it works extremely well.

Tags
bullet, ladder