Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
John- do you still put stabil in your ethanol free gas? We have so few stations that sell it out here, although I have found one relatively close to my house. The problem that sucks about it is the price literally never changes. $4.69 gallon no matter what the price of regular gas is. I was cruising through the midwest this summer and it blew me away how much cheaper and reasonable ethanol free gas was. I'm sure Oregon must have their hand in this.
During the spring and summer, no I don't put Stabil in my "real gas". In the fall, when I think it's going to be the last time or so that I fill something up, then I start adding Stabil to the 5 gallon cans. Unlike most people (I guess) I always fill up whatever I'm using when I finish using it, so it's always put away with a full fuel tank (less chance for condensation in the tank). That goes for everything I own with a small engine. So, to me, it just makes sense to start putting Stabil in the fuel when I begin to think "this gas may be the last tank this year"....

As for price, around here, 10% ethanol is about $2.29 or so, and REC GAS is about 75 cents more, or just over $3.00 a gallon or so. Of course, as regular goes up a penny, rec gas goes up a nickel (or so it seems)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:39 PM   #22
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
So, we looked at the Generac generators very serious, and the question that kept coming to my mind was .... what powers the generator? As it turns out, it requires a fuel source.... yes ... duh! And they take gas. That would mean installing a gas tank and running gas lines from the tank to the generator, as those large propane gas tanks are required to be quite a distance from the dwelling structure.

Something wrong with this picture. Our Generac runs on propane. We had a 100 gallon tank dropped behind the garage and the line run to the generator. Runs a 5 minute test cycle once a week. That tank would be enough for 36 hours of continuous use at 100% of its rated output. The tank and the install are included in the 6K I mentioned earlier.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:50 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My lawn tractor is an Ariens with a Briggs and Stratton 17.5hp engine. It is easy to remove the bowl on the carb and clean the main jet and internal passages but when reinstalling the bowl, the gasket that seals it is extremely thin and disforms when re-installing the bowl. The gasket isn't a hardware item and so I always have the carburetor on the lawn tractor and at least one spare. This time I bought two as they are only $13 each on eBay and it is a lot less hassle to just install a new one rather than fight with that skinny nitrile rubber gasket.
My 1986 Craftsman 18.5 HP garden tractor has a Kohler engine. It's the most reliable and ironically, the easiest to work on carb that I have. Wouldn't you know it, the easiest to fix never breaks but the hardest to work on seems to always need "fixin"... Anyway, most of the "chinese engine crap" has plastic carbs, try to take them apart and touch the float and you'll either crush it or punch a hole in it. Anyway, I found it's usually cheaper to just buy a new carb than to try to find a rebuild kit. Like you, those cheap and "too thin" gaskets are impossible to get in place while standing on your head, one arm over the engine and the other wrapped around the tire... They seem to be easy to get in the right place when the carb in on a bench, but not so easy when doing contortions under the hood....

Last one I "fixed" was a 6 HP pressure washer. The rebuild kit was $18 and a new carb was $14... So, guess which one I didn't take apart LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My 1986 Craftsman 18.5 HP garden tractor has a Kohler engine. It's the most reliable and ironically, the easiest to work on carb that I have. Wouldn't you know it, the easiest to fix never breaks but the hardest to work on seems to always need "fixin"... Anyway, most of the "chinese engine crap" has plastic carbs, try to take them apart and touch the float and you'll either crush it or punch a hole in it. Anyway, I found it's usually cheaper to just buy a new carb than to try to find a rebuild kit. Like you, those cheap and "too thin" gaskets are impossible to get in place while standing on your head, one arm over the engine and the other wrapped around the tire... They seem to be easy to get in the right place when the carb in on a bench, but not so easy when doing contortions under the hood....

Last one I "fixed" was a 6 HP pressure washer. The rebuild kit was $18 and a new carb was $14... So, guess which one I didn't take apart LOL
Amazon has a bunch of generic carbs and engine parts. My champion generator I purchased parts for also. I keep stabil in most things but I’ve also run across the conundrum of having open bottles of stabil that I forget how old they are...i always thought that was good forever but even that goes bad if opened apparently...my last generic part was a gas shutoff for the champion...I had stabil in it but the shutoff seal dried out from no gas going through it and leaked like crazy when i finally needed it...ughh
Old 02-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #25
gearhead

I live in the refining epicenter of the universe. Can't buy real gas here because it's a EPA non attainment zone. Why is it a non attainment zone? Because it's the refining epicenter of the universe.
I switched to Chevron Techron Marine stabilizer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Amazon has a bunch of generic carbs and engine parts. My champion generator I purchased parts for also. I keep stabil in most things but I’ve also run across the conundrum of having open bottles of stabil that I forget how old they are...i always thought that was good forever but even that goes bad if opened apparently...my last generic part was a gas shutoff for the champion...I had stabil in it but the shutoff seal dried out from no gas going through it and leaked like crazy when i finally needed it...ughh

Every time I open a container of "anything automotive" I write the date opened and what it is used on. That way, in 6 months when I find two containers of Stabil on the shelf I know which is oldest or which to throw away... If it's oil, anti-freeze, etc, I know which engine or which equipment it goes in... You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many 5 quart jugs of motor oil can accumulate on a shelf with 2 quarts in them with the question, Did i put this in the lawn mower or was it in the tractor, or was it in the snowblower or ????? So, rather than take a chance on "mixing oils" leave it sitting and open another 5 quart jug to use 1 quart and in 4 months, wonder what it is for..... Now, I always just write the date and which equipment it's for....

I order most of my "parts stuff" from Jack's Small Engine Parts. They seem to always have it in stock, easy to research or call to get the right part the first time and in this area, they're just as fast as Amazon (now taking 5 or 6 days for delivery) and Jack's is usually cheaper.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #27
billsr

Always wanted a whole house generator, but at our home in Elyria, OH I bought a Honda portable Gen. Last July we bought a house in Homerville, OH, close to the Wife's family farm. We haven't moved in yet as our contractor is still doing re-modeling. I had a Kohler, recommended by our contractor, installed and it is a 14kw model which will run the entire house. Kohler has hydraulic valves, where Generac has adjustable valves, which need adjusting every so often. The Kohler runs on natural gas.
Don't know if we will ever need it, but if we do, it's ready. A transfer switch was also installed and the company who did the work also replaced the 100 amp boxes in the basement and installed a 200 amp box with whole house surge protection too. Cost was around $10,000.00 for everything, but to me it was worth it.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:05 PM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Every time I open a container of "anything automotive" I write the date opened and what it is used on. That way, in 6 months when I find two containers of Stabil on the shelf I know which is oldest or which to throw away... If it's oil, anti-freeze, etc, I know which engine or which equipment it goes in... You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many 5 quart jugs of motor oil can accumulate on a shelf with 2 quarts in them with the question, Did i put this in the lawn mower or was it in the tractor, or was it in the snowblower or ????? So, rather than take a chance on "mixing oils" leave it sitting and open another 5 quart jug to use 1 quart and in 4 months, wonder what it is for..... Now, I always just write the date and which equipment it's for....

I order most of my "parts stuff" from Jack's Small Engine Parts. They seem to always have it in stock, easy to research or call to get the right part the first time and in this area, they're just as fast as Amazon (now taking 5 or 6 days for delivery) and Jack's is usually cheaper.
That is a good idea...I used to do that with my cars and trucks because I could never remember what vehicle got what grade of synthetic oil ...I stopped doing it some time ago ...I’m gonna make a point of trying to do that with all of the various liquidsand chemicals going forward
Old 02-18-2021, 03:38 AM   #29
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-o-b'03 View Post
with the recent weather conditions here in texas the dw and i have been discussing getting a whole home generator.

This is my redneck engineering version that we have been using while the power is out.

it is very useful, powering every 110 volt option we need, but a pita to add and disconnect as the power comes and goes, plus it is 110 only and won't run the pool pump which would be nice.

I switch the main breaker, in the panel, off and then the 50 amp breaker in the sub panel on to make it work and not worry about frying any utility workers.

So, who has one, what features does it have, how do you like it and you care to share what did it cost?

-brian

that is the kind of set up that gets people killed!!!!!
Old 02-18-2021, 05:41 AM   #30
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Unfortunately that is true. One should only use a proper transfer switch. Even though you may fully understand the multistep operation others do not. Too easy to make a mistake.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:39 AM   #31
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Unfortunately that is true. One should only use a proper transfer switch. Even though you may fully understand the multistep operation others do not. Too easy to make a mistake.
The addition of a breaker panel Interlock device is an accepted method vs. a transfer switch, and it is approved by the National Electric Code. It insures that the panel's main breaker is turned off BEFORE you can turn on the breaker that is being fed from a generator. And likewise, it insures that the breaker that is being fed from the generator is turned off BEFORE you can turn the panel's main breaker back on and not being able to backfeed into the existing power grid.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #32
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
With the recent weather conditions here in Texas the DW and I have been discussing getting a whole home generator.

This is my redneck engineering version that we have been using while the power is out.

It is very useful, powering every 110 volt option we need, but a PITA to add and disconnect as the power comes and goes, plus it is 110 only and won't run the pool pump which would be nice.

I switch the main breaker, in the panel, off and then the 50 amp breaker in the sub panel on to make it work and not worry about frying any utility workers.

So, who has one, what features does it have, how do you like it and you care to share what did it cost?

-Brian
While I can tell you I have been the rout you are on. Then when the power was out for over a week and problems started getting gas for the portable generator. Then having to get up in the middle of the night to refuel it and cords running all through the house and having to watch what you have on. We got tied of it and had a generic generator whole house installed with a 500 gallons propane tank. Best thing we did. Good example was last year when a storm came through and power was out. We didn’t even know the power was out til I went outside to check for damage and heard the generator running. It’s was great
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #33
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I am sure it happens, but I have tried to keep us from freezing, during extended power outages, in sub zero weather as safely as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
It is me, the DW, dog, cat and 2 birds here, I am the only one that does anything with the generator and when the power went out, after the temps were way below freezing, I did not have the opportunity to purchase a proper transfer switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
The addition of a breaker panel Interlock device is an accepted method vs. a transfer switch, and it is approved by the National Electric Code. It insures that the panel's main breaker is turned off BEFORE you can turn on the breaker that is being fed from a generator. And likewise, it insures that the breaker that is being fed from the generator is turned off BEFORE you can turn the panel's main breaker back on and not being able to backfeed into the existing power grid.
If I continue down this path (not likely with the DW on the whole home generator kick) I will definitely add some kind of protection mechanism. This is just what I could come up with under the current circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
While I can tell you I have been the rout you are on. Then when the power was out for over a week and problems started getting gas for the portable generator. Then having to get up in the middle of the night to refuel it and cords running all through the house and having to watch what you have on. We got tied of it and had a generic generator whole house installed with a 500 gallons propane tank. Best thing we did. Good example was last year when a storm came through and power was out. We didn’t even know the power was out til I went outside to check for damage and heard the generator running. It’s was great
I agree, the whole home path is the best one, but for us with a 3K SQFT home, dual zoned AC/heat and a pool I am not sure how large a generator we are going to need or if we will just zone off certain things from it.

When things calm down I will have an audit done and get some quotes.

The Champion, that I originally bought for the camper, will run for more than 6 hours between fueling so I have been filling it at midnight and getting up at 6 to check & fill it again. It has run for 24+ hours straight without issue and restarts on the first pull after sitting in the extreme cold for a few hours the few times the power came back on.

Thankfully our power came back on and has been stable since yesterday afternoon and the temps are going up... 32 for the high so far today .

I appreciate all the comments and input.

-Brian
Old 02-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #34
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I am sure it happens, but I have tried to keep us from freezing, during extended power outages, in sub zero weather as safely as possible.

It is me, the DW, dog, cat and 2 birds here, I am the only one that does anything with the generator and when the power went out, after the temps were way below freezing, I did not have the opportunity to purchase a proper transfer switch.

If I continue down this path (not likely with the DW on the whole home generator kick) I will definitely add some kind of protection mechanism. This is just what I could come up with under the current circumstances.

I agree, the whole home path is the best one, but for us with a 3K SQFT home, dual zoned AC/heat and a pool I am not sure how large a generator we are going to need or if we will just zone off certain things from it.

When things calm down I will have an audit done and get some quotes.

The Champion, that I originally bought for the camper, will run for more than 6 hours between fueling so I have been filling it at midnight and getting up at 6 to check & fill it again. It has run for 24+ hours straight without issue and restarts on the first pull after sitting in the extreme cold for a few hours the few times the power came back on.

Thankfully our power came back on and has been stable since yesterday afternoon and the temps are going up... 32 for the high so far today .

I appreciate all the comments and input.

-Brian
While I can tell you I have a 2800 sg foot home, 3 1/2 ton ac, pool, pool heater, 2 frig 2 freezer. And all the other home appliances. Plus a full wood working shop . We purchased the generic 22k. Generator, wired, propane hook up transfer switch cement pad for generator. Total was 8,000. Now that did not include the propane tank fill.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #35
notanlines

Nellie, I just couldn't let this statement of yours slide: "do not use one of those loud stupid construction generators on your house. inverter or nothing."
I'm guessing because you are scared ****less of your neighbors and afraid of offending them because of a loud generator you are going to use 'nothing?' Sure, we'll just sit here in the house, freezing our asses off without even a 60 watt bulb to warm our hands (I could go on and on, including indigent parent and babies in the cold bedroom) because you are scared to be 'THAT GUY' with the construction generator in the neighborhood?
Give me a stinking break! When the ice storms hit Memphis during the years I was in business I was THE GUY in the neighborhood who brought home the old crappy generators we used on construction sites and every single one put a smile on kids faces. But not as big as the smile on the wives' faces when the furnace started.
Okay, I'm done. I'll get off the pedestal and get supper started.....wife had knee replacement and......well, as Paul Harvey said "You know the rest of the story."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:31 PM   #36
jasin1

Quote:
While I can tell you I have a 2800 sg foot home, 3 1/2 ton ac, pool, pool heater, 2 frig 2 freezer. And all the other home appliances. Plus a full wood working shop . We purchased the generic 22k. Generator, wired, propane hook up transfer switch cement pad for generator. Total was 8,000. Now that did not include the propane tank fill.
Do the majority of you with whole house generators and a dedicated propane tank own the tank outright?. At my home I have a small tank just for my kitchen stove.
I have a heat pump system for my second floor and a separate system for my first floor.I originally had a propane furnace with heat pump on the first floor and seperate heat pump system second floor.
Anyway I removed the gas furnace because I have a pellet stove and I like the simplicity of the heat pump systems..AND I got tired of the games the propane company’s would play.
I used to have two large tanks and didn’t use a lot of propane so they would charge me sky high prices to deliver a little amount.
Then I put a note on the tank to not auto fill and they would charge me for a yearly inspection because they said they needed to make sure it was still safe ... and lastly when the tanks would be 1/2 full they would come out in the summer and fill them up and leave me with a $800 or more bill when I don’t need the propane till the next winter..it was the principle of it that was driving me crazy. I guess the best thing is to own the tank outright because I would be charged for the “convenience “ of having the propane just sitting there unused....I am a licensed hvac contractor and have my lp certification and they still insisted that only they could do anything with the lp.
I finally agreed to credit my surplus lp into a smaller tank and will run that out and get my own tank...it really is a racket they run
Old 02-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #37
gearhead

Sounds like a pretty good scam to me. Tell the propane company to bark off. Get your own dang tank. My system has been painless. Had to call the gas company to install a bigger regulator. Small town, I know the guy. Easy. Other than that no issues.
Wish I had gone propane and got my own tank. For the independence of it. I'm not a prepper.....yet.
I wish I had a noisy generator. My neighbors deserve some payback. Yeah...barking dogs.
edit add: Generac has (or used to have) a system that prioritized circuits. In other words... you would need a 22K watt generator to run everything, or a 10K with prioritized circuits, i.e....the furnace, A/C, fridge, freezers, etc. That system might be able to save a few bucks.
We are right at 3,000 sq ft. We built 10 years ago with as much gas as possible. I think our Generac is 22K watts. Never had an issue running anything we want. I told Betty it would best not to run the elect oven. Fat chance of that.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #38
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Nellie, I just couldn't let this statement of yours slide: "do not use one of those loud stupid construction generators on your house. inverter or nothing."
I'm guessing because you are scared ****less of your neighbors and afraid of offending them because of a loud generator you are going to use 'nothing?' Sure, we'll just sit here in the house, freezing our asses off without even a 60 watt bulb to warm our hands (I could go on and on, including indigent parent and babies in the cold bedroom) because you are scared to be 'THAT GUY' with the construction generator in the neighborhood?
Give me a stinking break! When the ice storms hit Memphis during the years I was in business I was THE GUY in the neighborhood who brought home the old crappy generators we used on construction sites and every single one put a smile on kids faces. But not as big as the smile on the wives' faces when the furnace started.
Okay, I'm done. I'll get off the pedestal and get supper started.....wife had knee replacement and......well, as Paul Harvey said "You know the rest of the story."
We are talking about long term solutions here, not short term desperate needs. My comment is more in refernce to the outrageous fuel burn those things put off , and their amazing ability to fry modern electronics. I wouldn't connect one of those things to my house for anything. Now then, I would run some extension cords inside for lights, and other items you need in a desperate sitaution. I could care less about the noise personally, but they are simply not a good home backup system for the long haul. That is my point. You will burn gas at an 8-1 clip with one of those. If you are locked down, iced in, earthquake, nobody can go get enough fuel to feed those things. Hence, bad long term solution.

And better yet, I don't want to hear that damn thing! lol
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #39
retiredusps69

Thats next doors problem

The only reason next door would be pissed is he has no elec. While you have lights, air cond,Heat and in summer a cold Beer, Also he lost all his frozen food!!!! Tha's his problem.Plus the kids and wife are driving him over the edge. I have one of those old construction Gen. Serious Next door was happy to run and extension cord for his freezer full of meat and have a few lights. No worse than someone cutting grass on sunday morn at 6:30 am to go tee off by8:00 am
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:39 PM   #40
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Wow, that does not sound bad at all.

We have natural gas, so no tank required, I'll loo into this after the current rush is over.

No one has anything in stock right now.

Thanks for your post.

-Brian

Tags
generator