Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2021, 02:01 AM   #41
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
If neutral and ground are bonded, it can trip a GFCI even if the individual circuit isn't energized.
Gfi can not trip if the circuit is not energized.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:08 AM   #42
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Am I missing something? OP says he plugged his trailer into a GFCI receptacle, meaning a 15A or 20A receptacle, since nothing larger comes in GFCI. That requires an adapter.
I thought it was common knowledge that trailer adapters are just flat not compatible with GFCI outlets. I'm surprised this is news to the storage facility.
I am not aware of this statement. Adaptors (dogbones) are used by almost everyone at some time or another. They do not cause problems with GFI's.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:48 AM   #43
nuctrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I am not aware of this statement. Adaptors (dogbones) are used by almost everyone at some time or another. They do not cause problems with GFI's.
Correct-a dogbone from 15A to 50A works just fine with a gfi. The wishbone style adapters that plug into a 30A for one leg land the 15A for the other leg will not work.
nuctrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #44
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuctrooper View Post
Correct-a dogbone from 15A to 50A works just fine with a gfi. The wishbone style adapters that plug into a 30A for one leg land the 15A for the other leg will not work.
that is correct.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #45
Bostongone

I had the identical problem with the heater element in my trailer several years ago. GFI house breaker would trip every time. Turned off water heater circuit breaker and still had the problem. When I disconnected the neutral feed from the heater element the GFI breaker stopped tripping. The heater circuit was indeed energized from the neutral side and the leakage current from the neutral found its way to ground and the GFI breaker detected the imbalance and tripped. 100 foot extension cord may have aggravated the imbalance?
Old 02-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #46
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongone View Post
I had the identical problem with the heater element in my trailer several years ago. GFI house breaker would trip every time. Turned off water heater circuit breaker and still had the problem. When I disconnected the neutral feed from the heater element the GFI breaker stopped tripping. The heater circuit was indeed energized from the neutral side and the leakage current from the neutral found its way to ground and the GFI breaker detected the imbalance and tripped. 100 foot extension cord may have aggravated the imbalance?
Yep. If the element is grounded out then the neutrals and grounds are effectively bonded together in the trailer. So the neutral return path now has a parallel path for some of the current to return on. That causes the GFCI outlet to sense the ground neutral fault and trip even with the breaker to the water heater off.

Tags
electrical, electrical problem, electrical problems