Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
Chad1383

Avalanche v Montana HC

Hello, I was in the market for a High Country but did some research and the cable driven slides really bothered me. Started looking at a Avalanche which utilizes rack and pinion slides and a Swintech slide which surprised me.

Im confused as to why Keystone offers both the HC and Avalanche in similar price categories but changed key components like the slide mechanisms (weight)?

Am I missing something? but to me the Avalanche is a better deal compared to the HC. Yes there are some differences as in exterior kitchen on the model I was looking at in the HC and the HC had more slam latch doors.

Just curious as to the why they offer both these very similar models. Im happy they do as like I said previously the Avalanche has those slide mechanisms which i prefer over the cable slides.
Chad1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The configuration/construction of the various models is meant to meet certain objectives whether price point, weight, ability to provide larger tanks, floorplans and the list goes on. The various slide mechanisms all have their positives and negatives and used to accomplish a given objective in a particular unit; example - rams will affect the positioning of holding tanks which then affects the interior design/capacities etc. I've talked to 4 service folks about Schwintek driven slides; 3 of the 4 said they are problematic and can easily get out of "time". Weigh everything against what you really want and do your due diligence. I've owned cable slides for the last 8 years and never had a problem with the cable drive system.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
Chad1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The configuration/construction of the various models is meant to meet certain objectives whether price point, weight, ability to provide larger tanks, floorplans and the list goes on. The various slide mechanisms all have their positives and negatives and used to accomplish a given objective in a particular unit; example - rams will affect the positioning of holding tanks which then affects the interior design/capacities etc. I've talked to 4 service folks about Schwintek driven slides; 3 of the 4 said they are problematic and can easily get out of "time". Weigh everything against what you really want and do your due diligence. I've owned cable slides for the last 8 years and never had a problem with the cable drive system.
Thanks for the response. I actually don't think cable slides are bad and have some key attributes that make sense (pulling slide in and out via all four corners instead of by the bottom like rack and pinion) I think the problem lies in how they are installed from the factory.

It's also interesting regarding keystone's marketing when it comes to the avalanche. In my province there are 6-8 Montana dealers and one 1 avalanche dealer, makes you wonder why that is.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
Vet4jdc

When we were upgrading, we looked at both too. Every Avalanche we saw had a smaller "basement / storage" area. Once we saw the basement in the High Country, I was sold! I would encourage anyone to compare the basement if storage is important to you. Btw....cable slides have never been an issue for us on two campers.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Trailers "evolve" as model years change. What was on last year's model may not even be available on this years model....

Some years ago, people wanted specific features on a "top of the line trailer" and the Montana line was born. Some people then wanted much of those same features, but didn't want to pay the price of a Montana and the Montana HC was born.... People wanted "something like a Montana" but with heat pumps and fabric, not leather upholstery and drop the expense of a molded rear cap" and Alpine was born... Then someone wanted something different from the Montana HC, but not as expensive as the Alpine and the Avalanche was born....

Now, the "newest trailer in the lineup" is the Arcadia... It's between the HC/Avalanche and the Cougar/Laredo/Sprint lines.... The Arcadia is targeted toward those who want to travel and need space for an office more than a bunkhouse and don't want to spend the price of the HC/Avalanche, but need different (not more or better) features than found on Cougar/Laredo/Sprint....

There are subtle differences that are seen, some appeal to one buyer and turn away another buyer. Many of the "mechanics of the trailers" (the unseen) are changed to accommodate, as Danny said, a different feature or a unique floorplan that wouldn't be possible with the "mechanics" found on the similar priceline trailer. To have offerings for everyone, Keystone builds trailers that appeal to specific groups of buyers.....

Just like in cars and trucks, some will sit in a brown F150 with cloth seats and immediately refuse to look further, then sit in a red F150 with leather and start smiling saying, "This is the one, where do I sign?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

As a tech, I find the schwintek slide system to be one of the most reliable in use.

Trick is to know it’s “quirk” and that is you DONT stop it in the middle of travel. Hold the button until it STOPS making noise and it’s always in time. If it gets out of time (rare if you do full movements) it’s very simple to “retime”. 3 full movements. Or if extended, retract for 2 seconds then extend until “hum” stops 3X. Retracted, extend for 2 seconds and retract until him stops 3X.

Just sayin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Chad1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Trailers "evolve" as model years change. What was on last year's model may not even be available on this years model....

Some years ago, people wanted specific features on a "top of the line trailer" and the Montana line was born. Some people then wanted much of those same features, but didn't want to pay the price of a Montana and the Montana HC was born.... People wanted "something like a Montana" but with heat pumps and fabric, not leather upholstery and drop the expense of a molded rear cap" and Alpine was born... Then someone wanted something different from the Montana HC, but not as expensive as the Alpine and the Avalanche was born....

Now, the "newest trailer in the lineup" is the Arcadia... It's between the HC/Avalanche and the Cougar/Laredo/Sprint lines.... The Arcadia is targeted toward those who want to travel and need space for an office more than a bunkhouse and don't want to spend the price of the HC/Avalanche, but need different (not more or better) features than found on Cougar/Laredo/Sprint....

There are subtle differences that are seen, some appeal to one buyer and turn away another buyer. Many of the "mechanics of the trailers" (the unseen) are changed to accommodate, as Danny said, a different feature or a unique floorplan that wouldn't be possible with the "mechanics" found on the similar priceline trailer. To have offerings for everyone, Keystone builds trailers that appeal to specific groups of buyers.....

Just like in cars and trucks, some will sit in a brown F150 with cloth seats and immediately refuse to look further, then sit in a red F150 with leather and start smiling saying, "This is the one, where do I sign?"
Thank you and I agree that they are targeting different buyers. I found the HC to be slightly nicer as a whole so then that begs the question if a Av and a HC are the same price is it just floor plan that swings buyers? I found the floor plans to be almost identical. Just curious why someone buys a avalanche. For me I like the slide mechanics on the avalanche over the HC

Ps. Spent a lot of time in Gaylord snowmobiling over the years.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

What you are asking is the "subjective" component to an RV sale. What do YOU like about a particular xyz vs the abc in the other? The "bones" are going to be virtually the same in Keystone trailers at the same price point, then it become I like this doo dad better than that whatchamagigit.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
nellie1289

I'm not going to lie, i went back and forth like 20 times trying to figure out what to go to after I sold my cougar. after looking at HC, i looked at Montana, then alpine, avalanche, et al. I finally just said screw it i'm only doing this once. I got the montana for what a thought was a very fair price, it was 7k more than the identical model HC by the time all the discounts were in. I have to say my Montana STILL misses some of the options the cougar had, it blows me away. I guess that's how they sell the "Legacy" All the brands are nice. I frankly think they have way too many brands it just confuses the heck out of average joe blow. I spent days researching the differences. I the end it was the eye test for me and i could "feel" and see the quality differences and options the full Montana brought. To each their own, i would take any of them.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #10
Chad1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
I'm not going to lie, i went back and forth like 20 times trying to figure out what to go to after I sold my cougar. after looking at HC, i looked at Montana, then alpine, avalanche, et al. I finally just said screw it i'm only doing this once. I got the montana for what a thought was a very fair price, it was 7k more than the identical model HC by the time all the discounts were in. I have to say my Montana STILL misses some of the options the cougar had, it blows me away. I guess that's how they sell the "Legacy" All the brands are nice. I frankly think they have way too many brands it just confuses the heck out of average joe blow. I spent days researching the differences. I the end it was the eye test for me and i could "feel" and see the quality differences and options the full Montana brought. To each their own, i would take any of them.
Nellie, you have just summed up the last 3 months of my life, it is confusing and head scratching at times. For instance the HC comes with F rated tires, the avalanche comes with G rated.

Btw you have the exact trailer I was looking at in a full montana. How do you like that floorplan, I have two children and it looks perfect for us. The Montana has it all just another 10k over HC and the AV.

Another one for ya why did you opt for the Onan? we always do full hookups but would come in handy if parked overnight at a rest stop.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #11
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
Nellie, you have just summed up the last 3 months of my life, it is confusing and head scratching at times. For instance the HC comes with F rated tires, the avalanche comes with G rated.

Btw you have the exact trailer I was looking at in a full montana. How do you like that floorplan, I have two children and it looks perfect for us. The Montana has it all just another 10k over HC and the AV.

Another one for ya why did you opt for the Onan? we always do full hookups but would come in handy if parked overnight at a rest stop.
Funny you mention! To be totally honest, got it in November, and haven't even used it yet, its in storage although i have been tinkering with the thing and putting crap in it and doing some minor projects like lining the shelves, tv in the office and bonus room, other small stuff. It was 8 weeks to get it into the shop for a couple warranty items locally i found in PDI(leaking leveling jack) First trip tentatively to the desert in early march ,sort of embarassing to say I haven't even used it but we had big spring plans and i didnt want to be waiting on it if I ordered it.. I got it in billings montana, it is exact.y how i would of ordered it, but drove 2000 miles round trip to go fetch it. Frankly, the local dealer told me 6 months to order one, if i was lucky, as they didnt have an allocation for this model. The billings dealer was great and really gave me a great price.(30% off MSRP) We also have two children still at home and they are gonna be gone soon so we looked at this model from a long term perspective that it had the office (i can work from anywhere) while it still had the ability for a private "bedroom" and a loft for some tiny kids if needed, I plan on putting my golf clubs there and other stuff when traveling. I paid 7k more than the exact same HC model would have been, if comparably equipped. The Montana has a lot of added features you really dont notice until you start adding them up. The 7k was easily justified when i saw all the built ins you get, extra TV, better trims, higher quality everything, better tires(Saluns), outside fridge AND sink, central vac, among many many others. I liked the barn doors to the bonus room better than the Door the Montana HC had. On the generator, that was a maybe for me if i was going to order one. This one already had it. I will say it is great to have as in storage i have no power and can just fire it up and have power when i want to tinker around. I did use it coming back at a couple rest areas too, so convenient. Also, you can now run the AC going down the road. Can fire it up say when you are an hour out from location to cool the coach down before you get there. I figure it will be an option many will want on resale too. It is so quiet! Only bad thing is it runs on propane so you have to be cognizant of that not as easy to refill as gas on say a toy hauler. But man, so quiet and smooth, I would do it again. Keystone makes this model in multiple lines, heck even in the cougar (MBI model). I love the floor plan, once i found it i was sold and started the national search since inventory so tight. Hit me up with more questions I am happy to answer. I watched a lot of youtube videos of each model, pausing them, checking them out slowly before i finally chose Montana. I also printed the spec sheets on the Montana vs HC and with a highlighter highlighted all the differences. I thought it was trim only, it will blow you away how much more the Montana has. I am happy i did it! Good luck!

There are tons of differences if you do the research, one of the others I liked was full fiberglass slides and he improved slide upgrades(not cables) compared to HC. Ceiling is finished, yada yada. There are really a lot you have to print the spec sheets and go line by line.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 02-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

"There are tons of differences if you do the research,"

There are some significant differences between the Montana and the MHC but primarily, for me, that big thing is weight. Virtually all Montanas require a diesel to pull their heavy weight. Virtually all of them then will require a dually to do so and be within weight parameters. Yes, they do have some pretty big carrying capacity numbers but with a trailer that size the chances that you will reach that point, or close to it, is very real. That is THE reason I don't have a Montana; will not buy a diesel or a dually so.....MHC is lighter. Need to keep that in mind when looking at the nicer, heavier units.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #13
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"There are tons of differences if you do the research,"

There are some significant differences between the Montana and the MHC but primarily, for me, that big thing is weight. Virtually all Montanas require a diesel to pull their heavy weight. Virtually all of them then will require a dually to do so and be within weight parameters. Yes, they do have some pretty big carrying capacity numbers but with a trailer that size the chances that you will reach that point, or close to it, is very real. That is THE reason I don't have a Montana; will not buy a diesel or a dually so.....MHC is lighter. Need to keep that in mind when looking at the nicer, heavier units.
What is your issue with diesel? Just curious.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 02-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Not to hijack the OPs thread but I just don't like them for any number of reasons which I've spoken of before.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #15
Stucns

Laredo is gone we now have Arcadia
Stucns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #16
dutchmensport

Here's a good video which explains the differences between the various slide mechanism types. It's well worth 16 minutes and 48 seconds of your day to help you understand the differences.

Tags
montana