Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
bulleto

Angry Laminate bubbling up

Hello all,
I purchased a Keystone Bullet in 2015, after just 3 years I got a leak in the seam where the roof joins the front cap. (Imagine that), I repaired the leak and later developed a leak on the other side. Bad for me, I didn't detect it till it had leaked through on the right side ceiling. I had it resealed, ( don't be fooled into that, you will do a better job yourself for less money), and now the fiber glass is bubbling up as it has separated from the ( cardboard, thin particle board or whatever) and looks pretty bizarre. My question to you guys, has anyone repaired this yourself and where did you get the material to do it? I think the fiberglass could be lifted and re-glued maybe? I have seen folks repairing the front cap on utube and it looks doable. Just wanting some input and suggestions. I won't go into quality control issue except to say I am very disappointed in Keystone. However, I like the layout of the camper, however poorly constructed. Maybe Keystone will start using that new material which is impervious to leaks or maybe they will just construct their units with a little more care. Please comment all opinions greatly appreciated.
bulleto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Hopefully someone can assist with your repairs as I've never done it. I would point out that roof maintenance is an owner responsibility and begins 90 days after purchase of a new trailer. There are countless stories of folks going up to check their roofs and finding gaps/cracks in the sealant after a relatively short period of time. If your roof has been repaired be sure and stay on top of it inspecting and resealing as required; every 90 days preferable (for greatest peace of mind) but no less than twice a year.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First, I'd suspect you're using the term "laminate" to describe the laminated sidewall (FILON/luan/foam/luan/vinyl wall covering) not "laminate as in plastic coated paper flooring" or "laminate as in formica covering MDF countertops"...

What you actually have, I think, from your description, is a "wet luan backing" on a FILON sheet that probably occurred from water intrusion that rotted the luan.

I'd first ask, how big is the damaged area? If it's 12" square or if it's 2" square will make a significant difference in how you approach a repair.

After determining the size of the damaged area, next is the extent of the damage. Is it "just the luan backing"? or does the damage extend into the fiberglass (FILON) substrate?

The first (at least for me) step is to stop any further leakage into the area. After sealing the roof, the next step would be drying out the affected area. That all needs to be completed before even attempting any repair. Then, depending on the extent of damage, the size of the damaged area and the condition of the components, you'll need to proceed based on what's actually there.

It's impossible to advise "cutting away the damaged area" and it's equally impossible to suggest "drilling small holes and injecting 2 part epoxy under the FILON surface" if it's a 6 square foot surface that needs repair... While both of those would be viable, recommended repairs if the area were 1 square inch in size....

So, what are you dealing with? photos and a detailed description would bring much better focus on repair options.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote