Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2021, 02:45 PM   #21
Kevin J

Latest thinking on upgrades given all the info on solar/inverter prep...........

1. Battery monitor
Victron SmartShunt 500A (install in front pass-through)

2. 2000W pure sine inverter with auto-switch.
install in front pass-through where Keystone inverter prep Romex wiring is located (powers the 3 pre-wired outlets)
separate breaker needed between battery and inverter?

3. SOLAR
- 2 x solar panels on rooftop. I think the Zamp 2-port solar prep wiring limits panels to 510W. I would like to get as close to the 510W as I can with 2 panels.
- 1 x Victron MPPT controller (install in front pass through using the solar prep wiring)

4. Batteries
I am not sure which batteries I will upgrade to as of yet. I was going to see how much power we use at powered campsites before I upgrade.

Today I ordered two A-iPower Powered by Yamaha Inverter Generator from costco for $499 each. Previously I was thinking of the predator 3500W for $850 but think the two in parallel have a couple advantages; wife can lift them if she ever camps alone with kids, can probably get away with 1 running until we need AC, could run one then the other back to back if really needed.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:43 PM   #22
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
Latest thinking on upgrades given all the info on solar/inverter prep...........

1. Battery monitor
Victron SmartShunt 500A (install in front pass-through)

2. 2000W pure sine inverter with auto-switch.
install in front pass-through where Keystone inverter prep Romex wiring is located (powers the 3 pre-wired outlets)
separate breaker needed between battery and inverter?

3. SOLAR
- 2 x solar panels on rooftop. I think the Zamp 2-port solar prep wiring limits panels to 510W. I would like to get as close to the 510W as I can with 2 panels.
- 1 x Victron MPPT controller (install in front pass through using the solar prep wiring)

4. Batteries
I am not sure which batteries I will upgrade to as of yet. I was going to see how much power we use at powered campsites before I upgrade.

Today I ordered two A-iPower Powered by Yamaha Inverter Generator from costco for $499 each. Previously I was thinking of the predator 3500W for $850 but think the two in parallel have a couple advantages; wife can lift them if she ever camps alone with kids, can probably get away with 1 running until we need AC, could run one then the other back to back if really needed.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Sounds good I would at the very very least add a second battery same specs as original but better to go with two true deep cycle rv batteries ..you will go through one battery very fast. Someone in a previous post mentioned that the single battery supplied with the camper was more to demonstrate that everything works and slides go in and out but not so much for powering the trailer overnight.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #23
bbells

Most tvs are less than 50 watts. You would have no problem watching with a small plug in inverter. Same with the microwave it isn't on long so doesn't use many ah with the larger inverter needed. AC requires many batteries. 12 hours of ac alone is about 20kwh. This means you would need 3400ah of batteries if you only use half. What is that, about 20 batteries? So plan on using your generator always for ac.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #24
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The WFCO 3 stage converter on your RV will work just fine with any conventional flooded or AGM style RV battery.. It will not work with Lithium batteries

Cost wise the Costco GC2 gold cart batteries at $89 a piece will work as well as any out there at higher costs.

Currently on my 6th year with two GC2 batteries from Costco made by Interstate... some will argue till the cows come home that the Costco GC2s wont hold up... Naw... mine are proof that they work just fine and I boon dock a lot

My EMS is plug in unit and I prefer this over any hard wired EMS because..
1. I can check an RV power pedestal out before I drag out the RV power cord
2. If the EMS fails for some reason ( and they do) I can still provide power to my RV from the pedestal without EMS protection
3. Generators sometimes don't play well with an EMS si its nice to have mine as a plug in
4. I run two Honda 2000s without the EMS in use.. its not needed

YMMV
Chuck, how do you charge your batteries after a nights use? Since you have two Honda 2000’s I’m assuming that’s what you use when boondocking. But do you just plug in your shoreline and charge through the converter, or do you use some quicker more efficient method? Thanks

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #25
Kevin J

Purchased two A-ipower powered by Yamaha costco generators.
https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-powe...100653776.html

now thinking;

Step 1: Buy PWD30-EPO which protects against surges but can also monitor shore power energy usage. I still would prefer a hard-wired version. Especially if the junction box mentioned in this thread proves to be prep for it.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=45902

First few times camping we are intending to go to a campground with shore power. So..

Step 2: Use the data from the PWD30 to determine our energy usage (Ah) per day based on actual experience.
Step 3: Upgrade batteries to ensure we have enough Ah to last 24hrs(?) at 50% discharge. Top up batteries with generator couple hours a day.

Future mods:
Add enough solar panel/solar charge to replace the generator (apart from air conditioner requirements)

Any thoughts appreciated. Especially how much Ah of battery would be needed based on usage. (I am thinking with 50% DoD you would need batteries at double your daily use? Eventually enough solar panels to meet the daily use?
Old 02-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Battery usage is as individual as underwear. NOBODY will use the "same as" or be able to tell you "the average is". Some people run an exhaust fan when they're in the bathroom, some people leave the furnace on all night, some people turn on the TV to "entertain the kids and the dog" while some people sit outside around the campfire until the bugs get too bad, then they go inside, straight to bed and don't get up until morning while others sit inside, all the lights on, TV going on one end of the trailer with the radio going on the other, 5 phones and tablets plugged in to recharge as they peek out at the trailer next door with no lights on and either "they're sleeping or gone"....

So, your "individualized battery use" will be "very much a one and only"... It's best to wait and see what you "actually do when at a campsite" before spending anything on "anticipated needs that we hope will work"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #27
Kevin J

Bought the PWD30-EPO-h. Great deal for $180 from Gander. As above, intend to use it first few times to gauge power usage on the Bluetooth app to determine batteries needed to allow boondocking with the 2 costco generators also purchased (see above).

Local costco were also selling a 4.5A battery charger/maintainer from battery tender for $36 which seems a great deal. So when I do finally settle on what batteries to buy I'll be able to look after them.

Tags
converter, lithium, upgrade