Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2021, 10:13 PM   #1
JeffInDFW

Cougar Half Ton Travel Trailer questions

Great group with lots of good information here! I have fallen in love with the floorplan on the new Cougar 22MLS. The Amy Gray Driftwood interior is stunning. I love the 2" sidewalls, proper heat ducts in floor, 0-110 rating. But my understanding is, Keystone Cougar walls are all pinch rolled instead of vacuum bonded and still use Luan. Is the rear wall still hung fiberglass? Those points really bother me so I wanted to come get opinions and thoughts from those who know these units the best. My second choice is a Rockwood Mini Lite. All walls and even the roof are vacuum laminated (you can REALLY feel this when you walk on the roof, it feels like you are walking on concrete. Zero flex). I also like that Rockwood uses the Torsion rubber ride axles instead of leaf springs, shower miser system is standard, Dinettes and bed frames are aluminum, Max air fans, and for 2021 they now use Azdel backer for the exterior AND interior walls on all units under 26 feet. But.....unless you get a murphy bed model (NOPE) you are stuck with only one seating area. Cougar 22MLS has two seating areas in a 26 foot trailer. You guys likely know something I'm overlooking on my concerns on Cougars wall construction. I've seen all the threads on failing rear walls where they detach at the top due to being a hung fiberglass design with poorly designed construction method. I'd also love hearing your opinions on the new Hyperdeck flooring Keystone uses. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:50 PM   #2
JeffInDFW

After more research, I have decided unfortunately that I will not be buying the Cougar even though I much prefer the floorplan and 2" walls. Pinch rolled walls are so inferior to vacuum bonding, and to still use luan when Rockwood has moved to azdel for both interior and exterior backing. Rockwood roofs are even laminated, plus their bed and dinette frames are all aluminum. Torflex axles are so superior to leaf springs that we all see fail time to time. Cougar has MUCH better looking interior style in 2021, 2" sidewalls, in floor heat ducts, but Rockwood is built so much better I have to go that route. I was hoping someone here could offer insight that I was missing, but I come back and see no replies so it is what it is. Best of luck to all.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:35 AM   #3
notanlines

Jeff, the reason you received no answers is because even our 'newbie' members could sense that you were sold on the Rockwood. You've chosen a very nice, slightly better than entry level, travel trailer built with care in northern Indiana. Take very good care of it and there's no reason it wont give you great service. Everyone here wishes you well.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, travel trailer