Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2020, 08:26 AM   #21
Sarge2

As always I personally appreciate any and ALL suggestions on how to improve my TT's and make it safer....

Thanks again Chuck for the very enlightening post... I will be replacing the ones in my TT come spring... they even feel funny when you plug things in...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:06 AM   #22
Camping family

While just throwing this out there right or wrong good or bad. I had some electrical work done in my house. The electrician told me when it came to outlets. Don’t ever plug the wire into the back. Always use the screws. His reason was this. When plugged into the back the wires can be loose and not always make good contact. Causing a short or issues with the power. Which is what I was having and yes my wires were plugged into the back and I also had some that were the once like in the pics. My home is a double wide. So we replaced all the outlets and switches and placed all wires on the screws. No issues since then.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #23
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I think I'll wait until the border opens back up before attempting this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Carlon-Shallow.../dp/B00QKSMPPE
thats the wrong box anyways, thats for new construction. you want a renovation box or a "old work" box, that has little ears so it will grab the wall and support its self.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #24
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
While just throwing this out there right or wrong good or bad. I had some electrical work done in my house. The electrician told me when it came to outlets. Don’t ever plug the wire into the back. Always use the screws. His reason was this. When plugged into the back the wires can be loose and not always make good contact. Causing a short or issues with the power. Which is what I was having and yes my wires were plugged into the back and I also had some that were the once like in the pics. My home is a double wide. So we replaced all the outlets and switches and placed all wires on the screws. No issues since then.
There are some back-wired outlets that have a screw on the side to tighten and hold the wire securely. These are fine to use. There are also back-wired outlets with only an internal spring to grip the wire. These can fail easily. These are the ones you describe and should be avoided (in my opinion.)
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #25
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
thats the wrong box anyways, thats for new construction. you want a renovation box or a "old work" box, that has little ears so it will grab the wall and support its self.

Steve
Thanks Steve

Still going to wait

https://www.amazon.ca/Lamson-B120R-C...ag=googcana-20

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Is that ridiculous price due to import duty? WOW.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Is that ridiculous price due to import duty? WOW.
I agree with Marshall, "that's a ridiculous price" but, it's also, "still the wrong box"... the first link was to a "full depth new construction box" and the second link is to a "full depth old work box"... Neither of them will fit the "shallow depth walls in most RV's. What you need is a "shallow depth old work box" like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Carlon-B117RSW...6CA02JM4D5X84A Yup, it's still a RIDICULOUS price !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

OK guys. What IS going on with those prices??!! Those look like they must have a platinum/gold backing or screws! Heck, just bought a couple of shallow electrical boxes for DD the other day and think they were something like !.29 at Ace Hardware no less so I'm sure not the best price. Something seriously wrong.....or the Amazon shipping is "out there".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Got any Home Depots up there? https://www.homedepot.com/s/shallow%...2520box?NCNI-5
Old 01-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

The Canadian Home Depot website: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home.html does not produce any search results for the Carlon old work box. My guess is there may be some "electrical code restrictions" that don't allow use of that box ???? Hmmmmmm ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #31
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree with Marshall, "that's a ridiculous price" but, it's also, "still the wrong box"... the first link was to a "full depth new construction box" and the second link is to a "full depth old work box"... Neither of them will fit the "shallow depth walls in most RV's.
Price is better on US site:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LPTDVG..._AWo8FbDCSX1JR
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Amazon is still an OUTRAGEOUS price !!!!! it's $7.32 on Amazon and $3.15 at Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...RSWR/202077341 or $2.47 at Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-Ga...l-Box/50425678...

Shop "wisely" your wallet will thank you !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Amazon is still an OUTRAGEOUS price !!!!! it's $7.32 on Amazon and $3.15 at Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...RSWR/202077341 or $2.47 at Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-Ga...l-Box/50425678...

Shop "wisely" your wallet will thank you !!!!!
Amazon is typically much more expensive on low dollar items. That's how they can ship it for "free"!
Old 01-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #34
Northofu1

Yes, the prices are crazy.
I first looked at the links from Chuck and copied and pasted into homedepot.ca. There was nothing so I looked at a few other electrical companies but nothing that matched. The amazon site was the closest to the product he recommended and all the prices were nuts so I picked the first one that looked like it and pasted that one.
I would not buy them unless I had a chance to remove one to get the right specs for what I needed.
There are many products Canadians can't get from the US without crazy prices. So I makes lists of products I want to buy when I'm down there.
Thanks for helping prove that it was not just my incompetence to find the products Chuck was recommending to make a solid upgrade to.
4 months to go.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 AM   #35
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OK guys. What IS going on with those prices??!! Those look like they must have a platinum/gold backing or screws! Heck, just bought a couple of shallow electrical boxes for DD the other day and think they were something like !.29 at Ace Hardware no less so I'm sure not the best price. Something seriously wrong.....or the Amazon shipping is "out there".
thats the Cdn price adjustment if I order LifePO4 cells here to build two 280ah batteries it will cost me 1899.00 if I order then in the US after the conversion to Cdn it will be about 1000.00 . we get hosed on pretty much everything.

Steve
Old 01-05-2021, 05:02 AM   #36
Stircrazy

Quote:
The Canadian Home Depot website: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home.html does not produce any search results for the Carlon old work box. My guess is there may be some "electrical code restrictions" that don't allow use of that box ???? Hmmmmmm ???
will probably be a different brand. I have bought plastic and metal old work boxes at home depot, just cant remember if they have shallow ones off the top of my head.

Steve
Old 01-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #37
Papa Don

Factory outlets = junk

Right on Chuck ! Thanx for info AND update !
As an electrician I’m in total agreement with the RV quality outlets, change it out,hook it & screw it ... literally.
Papa Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #38
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
IMO the Self Contained OEM RV style outlets are junk. They meet the NEC standard but the amount of actual surface contact the wires make with the spring clips is marginal at best....

The industry uses these because they are quick to install and get the job done.. sometimes... IF the person using the SCD tool to install the wires into this type of outlet isn't experienced or doesn't check his work then you end up with a 120 volt AC outlet that may fail due to intermittent or no connection problem down the road

Additionally.. with many folks running inside space heaters and lots of high wattage appliances like an instapot, toaster, crock pot, hair dryer the outlet is drawing a lot of current with marginal surface contact at the wire to spring clamping feature on the back of the SC style outlet.

A simple low cost upgrade for all your 120 volt AC outlets would be to remove the SC style RV outlet and install in its place a "Old Work Box" SHALLOW style outlet box with a new 120 volt AC receptacle using the style with screws on the side to attach the wires.

This will give you an outlet that can safely and reliably draw current and wont vibrate loose after towing down less than stellar roads.

I've done this with my 2014 Alpine even though none of the OEM SC style outlets had caused any issues. I immediately noticed the outlet in the kitchen my wife uses for her appliances is much cooler to the touch..

I also removed the OEM fireplace and replaced that outlet as well.. a bit more work to remove the fireplace but worth the effort

The pieces and parts needed to upgrade your SC style RV outlets can be found at any Lowes or Home Depot or ordered on line

Old Work Shallow Box:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...RSWR/202077341

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-Ga...l-Box/50425678

***There are a few other style "Old Work Shallow" single gang boxes that may suit your particular RV better then the ones I've shown but these worked fine for my application

Replacement 120 volt 15 amp outlet:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-ECP/301361472

You can buy the outlets in bulk ( ten per pack) and save a bit... I bought bulk

Images of a typical OEM SC style RV outlet.. you can see there was minimal contact and one pic it looks like the spring clamp didn't penetrate the wire insulation at all

If you have some basic electrical skills this is an easy task to complete and will assure you that your RV 120 volt AC outlets are safer and more reliable..

And of course.. safety is paramount. Disconnect shore power or kill the 120 volt AC breaker on the outlets your going to work on
As a former industrial electrician I can certainly appreciate this post. My problem is how to attach those boxes, mine are of the type with a swivel attachment to act as a clamp against the 1/8" wall. Am I not 'seeing' the tabs on the links?
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
As a former industrial electrician I can certainly appreciate this post. My problem is how to attach those boxes, mine are of the type with a swivel attachment to act as a clamp against the 1/8" wall. Am I not 'seeing' the tabs on the links?
The links clearly show the tabs in the extended position. One top, one on the bottom. There are two screws that "swing them into position" and draw them against the inside of the wall panel.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #40
Dallasrules

I did this

I had a problem on my 2004 Cedar creek with my gfi circuit. It was the 2nd outlet in the line. When I took it out, contact was bad and there were burn marks probably from arcing. I replaced it with a standard outlet and shallow box. Now all work downline. I didn't replace the rest of them, but I do carry several with me in case there are more issues. I might get around to doing it one day, but at the time I had other issues that needed my attention more.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, upgrade