Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
gbsb

LED Awning lights

I have a 2017 Hideout 26 RLSWE a great little TT. I have been leaving my outside lights on in the evening as we come in late and it is always very dark. They are a string of LED lights that go along the edge of the awning, I came home a few nights ago and it looked like one of the LED was out. Now they all are out I checked the fuses and all are good the awning works good any ideas. Thanks
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
Eastham

I had a similar problem with my 2016 cougar 4 lights out then they worked off again .Dealer replaced the complete strip of led lights under warrantee.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
Canonman

There is a power connector located on the motor side for the awning for the LED strip.
You can use a volt meter to check for 12v at that connector. If the 12v is present with the switch on then it's the LED strip. If no 12v then you'll need to check the switch at the panel. Could be the connector came off the switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6840.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	14640  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
gbsb

Thanks for the answers I will check . Maybe not tomorrow high of 38 degrees with 20 to 30 mph winds.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
lwilks

My awning LED lights are doing something different. They will not turn off. The switch is off, lights on, switch on, lights on. Any ideas?
lwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Do you have a remote control for the awning lights? If you do, try turning them off with the remote, then try the switch again. There's an interlock in the remote main unit that prevents the switch from operating the function if the remote has been used to activate the function. It's the same with your scare light, front cap lights, etc. Let us know if this works for you......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
lwilks

Yes that worked. I had forgotten it worked that way. Thank you for your assistance.
lwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Deal !!! Glad you got your problem solved

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
PJsandy

Paul

It just worked for me also
PJsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
Stircrazy

I had an issue where a few went out along my string on my 2016. the dealer replaced them under warenty but there was an upgraded version they had to get as the originals had a lot of issues with chips burning out.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:42 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

LED's are "nothing more than a small diode that emits visible light when electricity is applied. LED's are not very "happy" in a wet environment. Early awning LED strips were prone to rapid failure. Newer LED strips are more resistant to water intrusion, but they still are just as "sensitive to damage" if the water gets into the actual electronic device.

So, I'd suspect that LED's in a "wet environment" like under an awning on the side of an RV, are always going to be "exposed to condensation, rain, and even "standing water on the top of the strip" in many environments.

I wouldn't expect an "exposed electrical component" hanging on the side of an RV to be "more than resistant to water intrustion"... None of them are going to be "100% waterproof"... So, expect to replace them every 3-4 years in "normal use" and consider yourself "VERY LUCKY" if you get more than 5-6 years from them.

After all, they are "substitutes for light bulbs" and light bulbs do (always have) been expected to eventually fail.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #12
campfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
I have a 2017 Hideout 26 RLSWE a great little TT. I have been leaving my outside lights on in the evening as we come in late and it is always very dark. They are a string of LED lights that go along the edge of the awning, I came home a few nights ago and it looked like one of the LED was out. Now they all are out I checked the fuses and all are good the awning works good any ideas. Thanks
I had to replace mine this past weeked. Amazon had mine for 12.47 ship with prime. My awning is 16 feet long that how long these led were.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Same thing here. 16' awning and the light strips can be bought for very little money. Several years ago I found an online sale where I picked up several strings as they were "indoor/outdoor 50/50 RGB LED" for under $10 each. They lasted about 2-3 years so for that cost I didn't mind chucking it in the trash and replacing it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
None of them are going to be "100% waterproof"... So, expect to replace them every 3-4 years in "normal use" and consider yourself "VERY LUCKY" if you get more than 5-6 years from them.
I am on 4 years with the replacment no issues, the original ones failed in 6 months. you can actualy get 100% water proof strips if they get the right ISO . I suspect this was the change the originals probably were just a water resistant varriant made for use in damp locations. the new ones are probably sutable for submerged aplications. try to save 1.50 / light strip and end up spending more under warenty

I have LED light strips on the outside of the house that have been there for 10 years and still work great you just have to buy the right ones....

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #15
Rver2

Led awning lights making a buzzing sound when turned on, now I went outside and they were off although the switch is on inside. Turn the switch off and back on the lights come on for a few seconds then shut themselves off, Keystone hideout fifth wheel
Rver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:13 AM   #16
Laredo Tugger

To the OP and any others interested,
Someone on this forum (in a discussion on security lighting and devices) suggested using motion sensor lights on the side of their trailer. A good idea for the OP verses leaving the awning LEDs on all the time.
While looking for some items at Harbor Freight I came across a small solar powered LED motion sensor light, I believe the manufacture was Bunker Hill. I purchased 3 of the black framed units (and 3 white for the house) and mounted them on the skirt of my FW. These lights have a mounting screw hole and an adhesive on the back plate and have a two function programming where they dim when not activated and brighten upon sensor signal. They also turn off for storage.
This has been one of the best modifications I have done to my FW. When dimmed the lights are not overbearing to other campers (that's why I put them low to the ground) but when activated they light up enough for safe walking around the camper. The light near my steps is perfect and I put one on the rear and drivers side of camper. No more hunting for the keys or the hole on the lock or tripping over service hoses while getting something out of the compartments at night.
I put the white ones on the facia board of the house and will be purchasing a few more for the house.
Just an alternative to leaving camper lights on all night, which sometimes can be annoying to neighbors if your decorative (built in or temporary) lights shine into the bedroom of their camper. Especially on nights when it is nice enough to sleep with the windows open but someone else had made that decision for you. Ask me how I know? Well.......
Oh , the best part they were ( a woman's favorite words) "On Sale". $10 each.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #17
Jim2366

These post helped since the LED lights when out on our awning. I am not sure if its getting power yet. We are heading home with our RV from Oak Mountain State Park and will be home Saturday. Do the lights slide off and is there a plug or will I need to splice the wires?

The RV next to us had replaced their awning lights with ones that you can change the colors. Blue, red, white, ect. and it was pretty cool.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:20 AM   #18
BrooksFam

"To the OP and any others interested,
Someone on this forum (in a discussion on security lighting and devices) suggested using motion sensor lights on the side of their trailer. A good idea for the OP verses leaving the awning LEDs on all the time."

I added some solar motion sensor lights to the lower skit near each door. They work great when walking up to the TT at night. also during last months ice storm here in Oregon, my front cap LED strip has some dead LED's in it now. Will need to do something about that sometime. I rarely use it though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lite 1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	32287  
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #19
Jim2366

That is a good idea to have an extra light. The question that I need help on is how to replace the awning lights. Do they slide out and how do you disconnect the old light and then connect the new ones.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #20
Jim2366

I still have not replaced the led strip light however today I am taking off the old one and hopefully while disconnecting it I can figure out how to reconnect the new one.

I Replaced the toilet value earlier this week which was tough I did not know there is a screw in the back where it could not be seen. The toilet started running and would not quite however after replacing the valve its all good.

Tags
awning, led, light, lights