Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #1
jdandheather

Cougar 364BHL inverter won’t power on.

I have a 2021 Keystone Cougar 364BHL and cannot get the Xantrex inverter to power on. The unit appears to be receiving 120volts of input power, but nothing is showing up on the display. Has anyone else seen this issue? This unit is only 4 weeks old and has never been camped in. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
jdandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
travelin texans

If its receiving "120 volts of input power" I'm guessing you're referring to you "converter" not inverter. Also not sure what display you may be looking at.
Your converter uses 120 volts AC to provide 12 volt DC power for lights, furnace fan, fridge & water heater controls & charge your batteries.
An inverter uses 12 volt DC from your batteries to provide 120 volt AC to items such as a residential fridge & possibly a couple plugs.
Check the fuses at the converter, use a voltmeter to confirm 120 volt at the converter.
If you don't have a surge protector/EMS, either hardwired or portable, connected to incoming shore power, you need one ASAP and to protect all the electronic equipment onboard.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

If you have a remote display and it’s blank, find the inverter. Make sure the communication cable (phone cord) is plugged in. Then look for a switch on the inverter that should have a I and II position. In II the inverter is controlled by the remote.

When plugged into shore power the inverter should allow 110VAC to “pass through”.

Being brand new, if it turns out the switch wasn’t set to remote, I would question the dealership about how thorough the PDI was.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #4
nuctrooper

Another check (assuming we’re taking inverter not converter) is the large gage battery cables, both positive and negative. When my selling dealer installed the batteries, they left the negative side cable unhooked. Took some digging and finally found the disconnected cable, attached it to ground and the inverter works fine. (2021 Raptor 429)
nuctrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

That unit shows both a RV fridge and residential fridge as options; which do you have? If Xantrex I am assuming an inverter for res fridge? Have you powered it on?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
bobbecky

If an inverter is seeing 120 volts, it likely will not make 120 volts from the batteries because the 120 volts is already there. What does it do if you shut down shore power so there is no 120 volts going into the inverter?
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, inverter, power