Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2021, 06:30 AM   #1
rsthomis

Breaker replacement?

Chilly good morning to you all,
I feel compelled to report that we have spent an unintended 2 months camping in 6 degree temperatures, ice and snow. There have been challenged and mishaps, but we have survived, except...
The 3 outlets in the bedroom end are now nonfunctional. The breaker has tripped from time to time (never again will we buy a 30 amp trailer!) and since my dad was an electrician and I know enough to be dangerous, I'm assuming the breaker is now bad. Shouldn't I be able to replace this myself? My biggest question is, is this breaker compatible with one I can buy in a hardware store, or do I need to buy one unique to an RV? Since I know I will have to shut all the power off, I want to have the proper part before I get started.
Thanks in advance for your input!
rsthomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:34 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsthomis View Post
Chilly good morning to you all,
I feel compelled to report that we have spent an unintended 2 months camping in 6 degree temperatures, ice and snow. There have been challenged and mishaps, but we have survived, except...
The 3 outlets in the bedroom end are now nonfunctional. The breaker has tripped from time to time (never again will we buy a 30 amp trailer!) and since my dad was an electrician and I know enough to be dangerous, I'm assuming the breaker is now bad. Shouldn't I be able to replace this myself? My biggest question is, is this breaker compatible with one I can buy in a hardware store, or do I need to buy one unique to an RV? Since I know I will have to shut all the power off, I want to have the proper part before I get started.
Thanks in advance for your input!
They are residential breakers.. it could possibly be a wire shorted out on the rear of the outlet...but probably not..take the old one to Home Depot and get the same brand so it looks consistent..several brands all fit in the same panel..some ge,Siemens and a few Bryant all fit the same panel for example but I would get same brand...also check if it’s on a gfci circuit that may be tripped
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF1976C5-94B9-4BA0-A19E-44FDD084C31F.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	32076   Click image for larger version

Name:	642E42BE-1A2E-4FAB-8499-4F207160BA5D.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	32077  
Old 02-21-2021, 06:38 AM   #3
redfernclan

Take a close up picture of the breaker and check to see if they have one in stock. Be sure to match same for same.
redfernclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

You should be able to find a replacement at any home improvement store. Take it out if your not sure the style.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Perhaps you want to disconnect from shore power and make sure the converter is powered and tighten all the screws on the neutral ground bar. They do loosen and be sure the one coming in from your pigtail is tight as well as all the ones that complete the circuits rely on that one. Replace the breaker with one of the same amperage.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
cavie

Turn the power off. Disconnect the wire. Roll the wire back out of the way. Remove the breaker by pulling the nonwired end first. Turn the power back on. Take the breaker with you to the big box store. Get the same brand if they have it. Different brand if they don't.

When you're done with all that get a voltmeter and an amp prob and find out why it is tripping. Being a 30 amp trailer has nothing to do with your problem. Find out how many outlets are on that breaker and what you have plugged into the outlets. You probably have a bad outlet.