Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Bdwatson27

Buzzing breaker panel

Just got this 18 year old hornet. Plugged camper into my house receptacle. Had the refrigerator on, a few lights and then turned on the kitchen hood/ exhaust fan. I heard the panel trip, lights out. I then Reset the house receptacle and now there is a distinct buzz sound coming from panel. I manually turned off the breakers and the sound went away. I then turned them back on and sound is back. All the lights work, fridge running, etc, but buzz/humm remains. What should I do?
Bdwatson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Breakers sometime buzz when current is flowing thru them. I would turn them all off, then on and off, one at a time, to see if you can find the culprit. If none do, then try turning one on, then the next and so on. It may be the master breaker causing the buzz as well.

Another possibility might be loose wiring at the rear of the panel.

Just a few ideas, I know another member more learned than myself will offer help soon.

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdwatson27 View Post
Just got this 18 year old hornet. Plugged camper into my house receptacle. Had the refrigerator on, a few lights and then turned on the kitchen hood/ exhaust fan. I heard the panel trip, lights out. I then Reset the house receptacle and now there is a distinct buzz sound coming from panel. I manually turned off the breakers and the sound went away. I then turned them back on and sound is back. All the lights work, fridge running, etc, but buzz/humm remains. What should I do?
More than likely you are hearing the converter. The converter charges the battery and supplies 12vdc power for the lights, exhaust fan, fridge controls, furnace, water heater gas igniter, and TV antenna amplifier and stereo radio. I'm guessing the old trailer has incandescent bulbs in the lights not less and the battery is most likely old and dead causing the old converter to work hard.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #4
Gary R.

Thank you Marshall, I had not considered the converter. When they are working hard, they do buzz a bit.

Cheers!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I'd let it charge 24 hrs and disconnect the battery for at least an hr then check the voltage. Best to have it load tested but that's a start. While it's setting for an hour go record the date codes on those tires. Then take a good look see under, in and on top the trailer. Enjoy.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:46 AM   #6
SummitPond

Welcome to the forum.

Aren't hornets supposed to buzz?

I had an issue like this with the S&B panel; faulty breaker. Replaced and the noise went away.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #7
Bdwatson27

I turned off the breakers one by one and the noise stops when main and gfi are off. The noise was definitely coming from the bottom half of panel. So maybe just replacing breakers should solve it?
Old 05-22-2020, 05:49 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I turned off the breakers one by one and the noise stops when main and gfi are off. The noise was definitely coming from the bottom half of panel. So maybe just replacing breakers should solve it?
By default, turning the "main" breaker will kill everything. So did you mean main OR gfi?
Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
Bdwatson27

Sorry, I meant when I flip the main breaker off with the other still on the buzzing stops. Once I turn them back on I then only turn off the gfi breaker and the buzzing stops.

I am charging the battery now.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Sorry, I meant when I flip the main breaker off with the other still on the buzzing stops. Once I turn them back on I then only turn off the gfi breaker and the buzzing stops.

I am charging the battery now.
In my camper the power for the converter comes from the same breaker as some of the receptacles, I think the label on that breaker is con/rec.

The converter has an internal fan and when it is working, providing power to lights, charging the batteries, or other 12 volt items the fan will run to keep it cool.

-Brian
Old 05-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
CedarCreekWoody

Leave the main on, turn off the individual breakers, then turn them on one at a time to determine which one is humming.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote