Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2021, 06:21 AM   #1
gearhead

Texas Opens March 10

Governor Abbott announced that starting March 10 there will be no masks required and businesses can operate at 100%.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:15 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Brent,

Did he address the public schools? How is Texas handling public education?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

It's about time.

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/gove...as-100-percent

We're well into this "pandemic". Folks know what it is and how to avoid it - we also now have THREE vaccines. We don't need any government agency telling us what we can or can't do; it's upon every individual to take care of themselves. Think about it; an individual at a campsite so careless with a chainsaw that folks around him are nervous and move away (protecting themselves)....that individual doesn't care and just runs the chainsaw right thru his leg. Well, there are no armed gestapo members around to arrest him for carelessness, no mandated covers over the blade or county regs. prohibiting him from owning and using the saw or being careless....he just doesn't have a leg any longer - he pays the price for HIS carelessness - the others avoided it on their own. Same holds true for covid IMO/YMMV I know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #4
Canonman

I'm going to step out here a little. I agree we can and should open our economy. 100% I also believe it is too early to drop the mask mandates. We can reopen and stay safe at the same time. We'll soon know if reopening without masks was a good idea.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brent,

Did he address the public schools? How is Texas handling public education?
Our school superintendent says we will continue with masks until TEA (Texas Education Agency) says different.
We have kids in classes from the crowds in the school zones. Not sure if we are offering home computer based training here locally. I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Houston is though.
I "think" some reporter said that TEA is expected to make a statement this week.
I'll probably wear a mask in some crowded places. I'm not sure if even though we had our 2 shots of Moderna, if we can catch, carry, and spread the virus. If I get that clarified I'll forget the mask.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

If opening the economy in Texas is a success and the virus doesn't spike as a result, you will hear NOTHING in the main street media. If the virus spikes a bit, Gov. Abbott will be dragged through the coals and blamed by that same media. Not sure how any state can win, keep locked down and folks lose a way of making a living and prices skyrocket and open it up and the virus spreads. Well at least Congress is going to send out big checks to everyone spending money they don't really have to placate the masses. GO GUBBERMINT!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
gearhead

^Yeah it's a lose lose situation.
Some folks that are getting enhanced unemployment checks, the upcoming $1400 check, and the no rent no eviction aren't going to be too motivated to go back to work.
Edit add: with the new illegal alien policy we will be importing the virus to Texas. On the news this morning that 108 aliens that tested positive were released in Brownsville I think it was. Hell why test them then??
Old 03-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Some folks that are getting enhanced unemployment checks, the upcoming $1400 check, and the no rent no eviction aren't going to be too motivated to go back to work.
Edit add: with the new illegal alien policy we will be importing the virus to Texas. On the news this morning that 108 aliens that tested positive were released in Brownsville I think it was. Hell why test them then??
In other parts of the country, they're complaining about a governor who sent COVID cases back to nursing homes and calling for action against him... And yet, "they" are doing the same dang thing in Brownsville, apparently with "impunity" because it's "federally mandated".... A perfect case where "two wrongs DO make a right".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

^^^^^And this is why TX will struggle if in fact we get an uptick in the virus - not because of removing the mask mandate. I read that there were 25k waiting to come in, ICE/Border Patrol's hands were being tied. The danger of removing a mask mandate pales in comparison to what this will bring and it's intentional.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

The kids coming in will be a big problem as the USG has no plans on sending them back and they expect 13000 kids a month by later this spring. Where will you put them? They are also going to be given the vaccine before many Americans. Thank goodness we have two feet as we have already shot one off.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #11
gearhead

And there is talk of reviewing (changing) the rules of engagement for the US Border Patrol.
Did y'all see that drone footage of the holding camp at Carrizo Springs? It's BIG. But it ain't near big enough for what's happening and fixing to happen. Those ranchers are fixing to be over run.
I know there are people reading this that think I must be some kind of whack job. But until you've lived it you won't understand.
I worked as a contract inspector for my previous employer in the Eagleford Shale oilfield. Lived in Embassy Suites in Laredo and worked on the 105,000 acre Piloncillo ranch north of there near Catarina for a year. The rule was never stop and help anyone. If you must, just throw them a water bottle. The other rule was no firearms on the ranch. I broke that one daily. We had BP all over the ranch on horseback and ATV because we were maybe 8 miles from the river and next to a major highway (83). Shoot outs at the ranch gate, ranch manager shot all up, it's just violence everywhere. Helicopters overhead, BP hotrod Dodge Chargers hauling butt down HWY 83. It was a bit exciting and "edgy".
Old 03-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

The next few years will be interesting as our gubbermint employs its more humane policies; hope this works out for hardworking and taxpaying citizens.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
gearhead

They're throwing so much into the economy our grandkids will never be able to pay it off.
Some is needed but...
Old 03-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
Ibdagriz

Quote:
The other rule was no firearms on the ranch. I broke that one daily. We had BP all over the ranch on horseback and ATV because we were maybe 8 miles from the river and next to a major highway (83). Shoot outs at the ranch gate, ranch manager shot all up, it's just violence everywhere. Helicopters overhead, BP hotrod Dodge Chargers hauling butt down HWY 83. It was a bit exciting and "edgy".
I worked out of Laredo running drilling fluids on rigs from Carrizo Springs to Freer to Rio Grande City. We watched folks crossing all the time and lots of times they would walk up to the rig for water. Usually if it was just a small family walking through as larger groups never did. One couple was walking up from San Salvador. That's a nice little stroll right there.

Everyone carried as we had to open gates at 3AM all over the place. One of our guys got spooked at a gate by two raccoons coming out of the trash can and put a couple of rounds into it. I never had any issues with any of them.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:43 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I KNOW how enticing, and easy, it is to commenting along on these threads.....but, we are venturing toward a political conversation which we don't want. Just think...TX is opening up on March 10 - BEFORE we get back!

Edit: I did not see the post by Griz. I never had trouble with any of them either.....the raccoons!!
Old 03-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Edit: I did not see the post by Griz. I never had trouble with any of them either.....the raccoons!!
We had a "HUMONGUS" raccoon that hung out behind our pole barn. He was far too "well fed" to have not been very familiar with trash cans and back yards and from the gray around his mask, he was older than any other coon I've seen around here. Our GWP (Bubba) who completely personified his name, would point the coon every time the two met. Finally, the coon, apparently became familiar enough not to fear Bubba and after 6 or 8 months of "non-violent standoffs" between the two, they ventured closer to explore... Long story short, toward the end of their relationship, they were wrestling, playfully with each other... It got to be that the coon would climb the fence into the back yard and wait for Bubba to be let out to do his business... The two of them appeared to become pretty good friends, in "Bubba's redneck way".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post
I worked out of Laredo running drilling fluids on rigs from Carrizo Springs to Freer to Rio Grande City. We watched folks crossing all the time and lots of times they would walk up to the rig for water. Usually if it was just a small family walking through as larger groups never did. One couple was walking up from San Salvador. That's a nice little stroll right there.

Everyone carried as we had to open gates at 3AM all over the place. One of our guys got spooked at a gate by two raccoons coming out of the trash can and put a couple of rounds into it. I never had any issues with any of them.

Griz
Best be carrying in Freer as they are well known for the yearly Rattlesnake Roundup! There is a neat little diner in Freer itself, btw; can't recall the name.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #18
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'm going to step out here a little. I agree we can and should open our economy. 100% I also believe it is too early to drop the mask mandates. We can reopen and stay safe at the same time. We'll soon know if reopening without masks was a good idea.
People are still able to wear masks, at their own discretion as well as make use of any other method that make sense.

If you read the executive order you will see among other things:

"Nothing in this executive order precludes businesses or other establishments from requiring employees or customer to follow additional hygiene measure, including the wearing of a face covering"

I agree with the Governor, let the businesses and public decide what works for them.

I believe the Governor of MS also dropped the mask mandate.

-Brian.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:39 PM   #19
dutchmensport

I say "hallalujah!" for Texas!

By now, every single person in the world knows about this China flu and knows what has to be done to protect themselves. It's time for government to stop mandating and time for individual to start making decisions for themselves again.

IF you decide NOT to wear a mask, get the shot, or whatever, and THEN you come down with the China flu, you've got no one to blame but yourself.

That's the trouble with this world, we've let the government dictate too much in our lives, especially in the last 50 years, because we (as humans) have become too selfish and self-centered to consider how negative actions affect others. Everything from speeding in your car, to "rolling" through stop signs. Because we are so damned bull headed and think we are above the law, above everyone else, and everything applies to the other person, but "I" am exempt because, "I" am "ME" and how dare YOU tell ME what to do.

No wonder the government has to tell us what to do. It's like those total morons and idiots who deface our National Parks, painting on natural rock formations and destroying property that is not theirs. The government has to interveen and make things "a law."

Think about it ... if everyone would have volunteered to wear seatbelts, it would never have become a "law". And the list could go on and and on.

So, hurray for Texas! Instead of social distancing, maybe the new moto should be "social reasoning." It's time someone is letting us take responsibility for our own actions again.

As for me and my house, I'm still wearing the mask. I'm too damned old to take risks now. But you do what you want. But take responsibility for what YOU do too!
Old 03-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #20
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
People are still able to wear masks, at their own discretion as well as make use of any other method that make sense.

If you read the executive order you will see among other things:

"Nothing in this executive order precludes businesses or other establishments from requiring employees or customer to follow additional hygiene measure, including the wearing of a face covering"

I agree with the Governor, let the businesses and public decide what works for them.

I believe the Governor of MS also dropped the mask mandate.

-Brian.
I would completely agree that "responsible" citizens should have the right to decide for themselves. But, if that were reality we would have fewer laws to remind the irresponsible what is civil and necessary to live together and be considerate of the safety and well being of others. Masks provide limited protection for the wearer. They provide maximum protection for those around the wearer. The surgical patient does not wear a mask, the surgeon does.
Public safety and consideration for our fellow citizens is reason enough to continue wearing masks until we get past this Covid problem. Open up the schools, churches and businesses. We've been locked down long enough. But do it safely, wear a mask, keep your distance and let's get this ship back on track.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote