Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
Camperfun

Kitchen Fan

I have a 2016 bullet premier 26 RBPR looking to see if anybody has installed a fantastic or power vent fan in the kitchen vent and if so where did you pull the 12 V from thanks
Camperfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

Your best bet is to remove the trim ring on the inside and feel around for some 12V wiring. If it’s “hot” you can tap into that. Otherwise you may need to fish the wires to maybe the stove vent.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
Camperfun

I did remove the trim ring No wire The stove top fan is on the slide with no exhaust that’s the reason for the roof top fan Really a bad design No tech support from Keystone Useless
Old 05-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
Camperfun

I do see a 12v Source in the AC unit for the thermostat just can’t find a ground
Old 05-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
CFDfireman90

I had a bullet, different model. I put a fan in the kitchen vent. I got power and ground from the ceiling lights. Granted the ceiling light switch needed to be on, bit the lights had their own switches.
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
Camperfun

I see that as an option but my lights don’t have any switch on them I am looking to see if any one has tried to tie into the 12v thermostat wire in the roof top AC unit Not sure but have seen a fan in that kitchen roof before I just bought this model I guess I should of asked questions when I saw it
Old 05-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
LHaven

Not to hijack the thread, but my rig came with a no-fan vent above the bed, and one of the improvements I'd really like to make is to replace it with a powered, rain-sensing vent. Unless 12V wiring was run to the side of this hole against "future use," I don't see any promising places I would be likely to find any. By some stroke of luck, would it happen to be common for Keystone to prep the hole with 12V just in case?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperfun View Post
I see that as an option but my lights don’t have any switch on them I am looking to see if any one has tried to tie into the 12v thermostat wire in the roof top AC unit Not sure but have seen a fan in that kitchen roof before I just bought this model I guess I should of asked questions when I saw it
If the light is a "pancake" style they are pretty inexpensive to replace. or you could take the existing light and add a spst (single pole single throw) toggle or push button switch for a couple of dollars.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider about fan brand/model selection: The main cabin in an RV (especially when boondocking) is typically humid, campgrounds are dusty, which means the fan blades will get dirty faster. When you add cooking fumes, humidity from cooking and grease to the equation, you'll definitely be cleaning the fan more often than you'd expect. So, choose a fan model with an "easy on/easy off screen and a removeable fan blade. It's much easier to clean it in the kitchen sink than to stand on a chair with a wet rag and a bottle of windex, spraying everything including yourself to clean the fan..... BTDT

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
Just chillin

I have a 19 , 26RBPR and tapped into the light wires but mine also has the push button on/off switch in the center of the ceiling lights.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

If you have a ceiling light that's say 6' away you may still be able to tap into it. One way to "cheat" a wire over:
1. Turn off the light switch or remove the fuse. Remove the ceiling light and disconnect the wire to it.
2. Take a suitable length/gauge of wire ( It will have to be long enough to reach the vent and back to the entry hole for the light plus some) and a second wire about 1' long (this will be the new wire to connect to the light) and solder the 3 sets of wire together and shrink wrap it to the wire that was connected from the light. .
3. Push the wire into the hole to clear the splice and enough to make a loop (2-3")
4. Use a stiff wire or an electrician's fish tape thru the hatch opening (trim ring removed) above the ceiling and hook that wire. Pull it to the trim ring opening.
5. Cut the wire in the vent hole space, install fan and connect wire.
6. Pull the other end of the wire you cut at the vent back thru the hole for the light.
7. Take that 1' remaining wire and connect it to the light.
8. Push the excess wire up into the hole and secure the light.
9. Go have a beverage of your choice while enjoying the man made breeze.

I hope this is clear, if not I'll try to explain further.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
Camperfun

That may be my option I only really use the fan when cooking so lights on not a problem If I want more ventilation I will upgrade bathroom fan ��
Old 05-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
kcamp99186

I have a 2015 Premier 30RIPR. I installed MaxFans in all 3 of my roof vents a year ago. In the kitchen I found multiple wires running between the vent opening and the light in this picture. They were a little hard to see from inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Fan.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	27743  

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #14
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but my rig came with a no-fan vent above the bed, and one of the improvements I'd really like to make is to replace it with a powered, rain-sensing vent. Unless 12V wiring was run to the side of this hole against "future use," I don't see any promising places I would be likely to find any. By some stroke of luck, would it happen to be common for Keystone to prep the hole with 12V just in case?
LH
If the vent was prepped for a future air conditioner, you're probably in luck. But it's easy to check. Take out the 4 screws holding the beauty ring and drop it. Look around the attic with a flashlight. In our previous rv, there was both a 110vac outlet and a 12vdc line. Just an FYI, on our rig, the 12v line is white with another white with a color stripe. Again, on ours, the color stripe is the hot line (+).

Good luck.
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:40 PM   #15
Camperfun

Perfect I will check it out No commitment on anything yet That’s why I ask questions Thanks again for all the replies
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

RV standard wiring:

12VDC is stranded wire. White is negative and white with colored tracer is positive.

110VAC is solid copper (usually Romex)
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:24 PM   #17
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
RV standard wiring:

12VDC is stranded wire. White is negative and white with colored tracer is positive.

110VAC is solid copper (usually Romex)
Thanks, that's good to know.
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #18
MrRobalo

I have a Bullet 220RBI and had a roof vent in kitchen without a fan and added one. I looked around and found no power wires. Having been in the boat building industry I knew that there might be a way to snake power from between the headliner and roof. Just sat there looking around and then I thought the stereo in the entertainment center is 12 volt. So I just used a snake and ran it towards the unit. Inside the side of the entertainment opening Was hollow and just moved the snake around until I saw a stereo wire move coming out of the hollow jam. Used a coat hanger that I put a hook onto the end and grabbed the wire and pulled the wire down to a area I could splice into . Turned off the battery switch I put in at the batteries and Spliced into the stereo power then heat shrank them. Connected it to the new fan and reassembled the trim parts. If you have a little help it can be done relatively quick. Just make sure you heat shrink the wires with the type that has glue inside that way if chafed it won’t short out. Just my $ .02 worth.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:13 PM   #19
BLITS

Installed a turbomax fan in our 2650bh, stole power from the the bunk lights (a little fishing required, didn’t want to have to play with light switches) we use it A LOT when there’s not enough juice to run the ac, love it