Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Booch
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 14
2018 Keystone Passport 2810bh top bunk falling off wall

Noticed some sagging in the top bunk when I went to check on the RV a few weeks ago. Pulled the mattress and sheet off and wow, it's basically falling off the outside wall. Lots of discoloration, and split wood, and looks like water damage.

The window was shut, it's actually never been opened that I know of, as my family is all about the A/C. And even with the 300lb limit, there hasn't been anyone up there over 200lbs, because I don't think it'd hold 200lbs by the looks of the construction.

There's a 3 year structural warranty, but it's being called damage and not covered. Of course it's damage, but I don't really think it's my fault.

Anyone else had to fight this battle with the dealer/manufacturer?
__________________

Booch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 3,629
Water damage is just that "damage" and not a structural defect. You need to find the leak (most likely the roof) and seal it properly and then repair the damage.
__________________

__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
Booch
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Water damage is just that "damage" and not a structural defect. You need to find the leak (most likely the roof) and seal it properly and then repair the damage.
So the leak is not considered a structural defect on a 2 year old RV?
Booch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
So the leak is not considered a structural defect on a 2 year old RV?
Keystone & your dealer will probably, actually definitely, tell you it was lack of roof maintenance by you or whomever does your periodic maintenance thereby denying all claims. If you pay someone to do your roof maintenance then you need to contact them for roof repairs & water damage.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
So the leak is not considered a structural defect on a 2 year old RV?
No it is not. Read the warranty that came with your unit or go to Keystone web site and read it. There you will find the maintenance required by the owner for the roof. If the factory failed to staple the roof on and it fell in and leaked then you may have a claim.

Claiming a structural defect for a leaking roof that was not maintained would be like expecting Ford, GM, or FCM to replace your rotors on your truck under warranty when you let the brakes wear out and tear up the rotors.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
Logan X
Senior Member
 
Logan X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,219
I think Keystone says the roof needs to be inspected and maintained every 90 days...

If there is also a window right there, I would take a hard look at the seal around the window.
__________________
Mike
2017 F250 6.7 Powerstroke FX4 crew cab
2016 Hideout 24BHSWE (27 foot TT)

Check me out on YouTube if you love America:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmF...gJpypWJz5Lgl3w
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #7
Booch
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I think Keystone says the roof needs to be inspected and maintained every 90 days...
I hope you are kidding, but based on my experience with this one (which is my 3rd TT), that might be true. I had a list of 28 things for them to fix at my 1 year check-in. 3 of the 4 compartments leaked. I'm barely into year 2 now, and do inspect it regularly and nothing (especially seams and joints) looks in need of repair.

But, I guess it is what it is. That 3yr structural warranty isn't much beyond marketing. So, onto the fix. It's a wood bed frame, no big deal. But, what's in the walls? Are they wood studs that I'll find with a stud-finder? Metal? Any advice so I don't make things worse would be appreciated.
Booch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 18,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
I hope you are kidding, ....
Here's a copy/paste from the Keystone Owner's Manual. I bolded the sentence pertaining to frequency of roof inspections so it's easier to spot.

"Roof Seams and/or Joints Roof sealants will deteriorate which can lead to leaks. Deterioration can be accelerated in heavy sun, changes in climates (expansion/contraction with aggressive temperature change), and cold climates. Once the RV leaves our manufacturing facilities, we can no longer maintain the sealants, this becomes your responsibility. Take this seriously because it can help prevent a very frustrating situation that can be expensive to remedy (damage from water leaks). Inspect the roof at least every 90 days, paying close attention to all seams and/or joints and attachments where sealant is used. Look for cracks, shrinkage and/or gaps/voids in the sealants. These must be carefully cleaned and resealed. It is necessary to use the same sealant as originally installed if touching up cracks, shrinkage and gaps/ voids. There is no way to know if 2 different brands of sealant will seal to each other. DO NOT use any type of silicone product on the rubber roof material."
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:18 AM   #9
Logan X
Senior Member
 
Logan X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch View Post
...Are they wood studs that I'll find with a stud-finder? Metal? Any advice so I don't make things worse would be appreciated.
The studs are usually easy to find. The walls are thin so you can press on them and feel where the studs are.
__________________
Mike
2017 F250 6.7 Powerstroke FX4 crew cab
2016 Hideout 24BHSWE (27 foot TT)

Check me out on YouTube if you love America:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmF...gJpypWJz5Lgl3w
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
smiles5160
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Petaluma
Posts: 20
Some thoughts

Just some thoughts here,

Every 90 days? Really? What is the cost? TCO?

What if the trailer is covered for the winter or for 6 months a year. ?
What if the leak is not on a roof seal?
What if every screw in the trim moulding is rusty on a 4 year old trailer?
What if the trim design is bad out of the factory and is leaking at day one?
What if the roof seal that is not on roof sealant is not complete out of the factory?
What is Keystone extends the aluminum trim up the vertical rear corner of the coach and folds in onto the roof and that leaks?

I have a list for my 4 yr old Keystone I just finished fixing. New bearings, roof repair, cabinet repair, roof re-seal, sagging cable slide. Some normal yearly stuff, some stuff that should never fail. This is the 2000's.

I am spinning up all the videos of the repair and will post them here.

The quick summary. Keystone screwed up the roof design, the wrapped the aluminum over the roof screwed in down and covered it with trim vinyl. They put a touch of silicone on that part, but, it was not a visible joint the receives Roof Sealant. Which means it was not touched in the regular roof maintenance. I HAD TO REBUILD THE WHOLE REAR CORNER!!!!!!! The wood part of the roof corner was basically black powder, which means the leak was DAY 1.

I stared checking screw behind the vinyl trim around the coach, found some loose, found nearly all rusted on the threads. These are not “Sealed” joints, just crappy parts.

The real problem I have is, Keystone, is not responsible, and will take no responsibility even when their design is the issue.

I am building the report on 4 years of my 2016 RETWE and the issue I have seen. Above is a touch of the opinion. The report is data specific. It includes: what I found, the ages, mileage, photos, videos and locations.

Stay tuned
smiles5160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles5160 View Post
Just some thoughts here,

Every 90 days? Really? What is the cost? TCO?

What if the trailer is covered for the winter or for 6 months a year. ?
What if the leak is not on a roof seal?
What if every screw in the trim moulding is rusty on a 4 year old trailer?
What if the trim design is bad out of the factory and is leaking at day one?
What if the roof seal that is not on roof sealant is not complete out of the factory?
What is Keystone extends the aluminum trim up the vertical rear corner of the coach and folds in onto the roof and that leaks?

I have a list for my 4 yr old Keystone I just finished fixing. New bearings, roof repair, cabinet repair, roof re-seal, sagging cable slide. Some normal yearly stuff, some stuff that should never fail. This is the 2000's.

I am spinning up all the videos of the repair and will post them here.

The quick summary. Keystone screwed up the roof design, the wrapped the aluminum over the roof screwed in down and covered it with trim vinyl. They put a touch of silicone on that part, but, it was not a visible joint the receives Roof Sealant. Which means it was not touched in the regular roof maintenance. I HAD TO REBUILD THE WHOLE REAR CORNER!!!!!!! The wood part of the roof corner was basically black powder, which means the leak was DAY 1.

I stared checking screw behind the vinyl trim around the coach, found some loose, found nearly all rusted on the threads. These are not “Sealed” joints, just crappy parts.

The real problem I have is, Keystone, is not responsible, and will take no responsibility even when their design is the issue.

I am building the report on 4 years of my 2016 RETWE and the issue I have seen. Above is a touch of the opinion. The report is data specific. It includes: what I found, the ages, mileage, photos, videos and locations.

Stay tuned
KEYSTONE!
First off, NO ONE from Keystone is reading/responding to any post on here, see disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
Second most of these issues are not new to any of us that have rved for lots of years regardless of make, model, brand or price of RV.
Fortunately for you & a good many of us we are physically able & mechanically skilled enough to do it ourselves.
Unfortunately a good many of the younger RV buyers don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold & have no idea what they're getting into. If it doesn't have a keyboard or handheld controller they're lost.
Posting your issues with pictures of the fixes will definitely be beneficial to lots of folks. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
keystone, passport

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×