Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2020, 04:55 AM   #1
Newk

RV industry booming?

Just purchased our 4th camper, finally upgraded to a 5er. Was working with 2 dealerships, about 400 miles apart. Because, you know, the RV industry creates these situations in how they distribute models, but I digress. Anyway, both stores were extremely busy and told me they had been crazy busy with first timers buying RVs. Stating they don’t want to vacation in hotels this summer. So, this can likely precipitate a couple things in the near future.
1. A surge in noobs on the road/at the campground.
Fine with me BTW, we were all noobs once. This is a great opportunity for fellowship, sharing experiences and helping a fellow RVer out!
2. An influx of slightly used trailers in 6-12 months! If you are contemplating a used trailer, prices may be good in a year!

Thoughts?
Newk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:30 AM   #2
Laredo Tugger

Two valid observations there Newk. I had heard of a surge in RV sales but did not equate it to people wanting to avoid hotels. Just thought it was the weather breaking, a lift on stay at home restrictions and stimulus checks,which may part of it.
But you are correct,there will be some "new talent" in the campgrounds (and on the road) and the used trailer market will be WFO in about a year.
Oh wait, does this mean there are going to be more new owners on here with tow questions? Seems to be the life blood of this forum,that won't change.
Congrats on your new 5er,you are going to love it.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
Huntme

in a few years what is new to you now,will be new to someone else,trailer on everybody.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Oh wait, does this mean there are going to be more new owners on here with tow questions? Seems to be the life blood of this forum,that won't change.
RMc
I have a towing question... just kidding.

Not our first camper, but this new camper is new. We looked at lots of previously loved campers and the more we looked, the worse we could reveal to ourselves as our eyes were opening to the problems that a lot of them had. And back in October, the used market was hot and prices were inflated as compared to what you got buying new. Maybe there are better used campers elsewhere than in our area (and better priced). With that experience, we decided we'd take the hit of depreciation and buy new. (which also means we'll be the ones figuring out what really doesn't work and need repair/replacement).
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I have a towing question... just kidding.

Not our first camper, but this new camper is new. We looked at lots of previously loved campers and the more we looked, the worse we could reveal to ourselves as our eyes were opening to the problems that a lot of them had. And back in October, the used market was hot and prices were inflated as compared to what you got buying new. Maybe there are better used campers elsewhere than in our area (and better priced). With that experience, we decided we'd take the hit of depreciation and buy new. (which also means we'll be the ones figuring out what really doesn't work and need repair/replacement).

Bill, some folks disagree I know, but I only buy new. When I was young and thought used saved money invariably (every time) something out of the blue would fail that shouldn't have. Those cheaper purchase prices turned into nickel and dime failures that stranded me, inconvenienced me and more importantly....irritated me.

On RVs I bought my first new and proceeded to find, one by one, every shortcoming the previous owners had found then mutilated. After owning for many years I don't even consider used. I'm positive there are those "like new" units that owner "only used once", treated like gold, waxed every week, never had a leak... but generally I can take a 5 minute walk around, thru and on to find any number of things I don't want to deal with. So, like you, I take the depreciation hit, smile and look for what's going to go wrong and know I will be the one to fix it. Eventually that stops and then I'm confident in what I have. Vehicles the same way. And the "new smell"? That's just an added bonus vs old bacon, cleaning products, mold, musty...nah. Manager of the camp came to the trailer and I asked her to come in; walked in and said "oooooh, that new smell!" I said yes, it is new. She replied that she very rarely gets to smell a new unit, people always do something to make them smell. I waved my arm to the outside of the trailer to BBQ central; said "I do the cooking and I don't cook in here". She says "nice". Yep, I'm happy with my choice as I'm sure others are happy with theirs....different strokes for different folks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
04ctd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
She replied that she very rarely gets to smell a new unit, people always do something to make them smell. I waved my arm to the outside of the trailer to BBQ central; said "I do the cooking and I don't cook in here". She says "nice". .
my friend said their dealer sold 28 units in a week.

i got busted on, in a FB camping forum, for saying not to cook in the trailer due it being stunk up. lady said she been cooking in her RV for 40 years, I am thinking she is "nose blind"

i firmly believe in cooking outside.

and buying new, esp for an RV, some folks are funk nasty.
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:50 AM   #7
notanlines

I've been in two RV dealers this week and both (Bloomer and Rice Lake) said that business is just the same as last year. The GM of one of them said he thought that the theory on here was baloney. And then he and a couple salesmen had a pretty good laugh.
And Joey, tell me what would possess someone to spend 50K for basically a tool and not use it? I'm going to assume your commode has never seen anybody's bottom so the resale will be much higher? Recliners and couch all have slip covers, and throw rugs everywhere? Cooking outside in that Florida rain with the love-bugs and mosquitoes hanging around like drones at an Amazon warehouse?
Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense, but to normal people, cooking in a kitchen is akin to sleeping on a new mattress. What else would you do with it?
I believe your vent-a-hood needs an upgrade. And I say that on a more serious note. Both John and I, maybe more members, have put the upgraded fan and motor assembly in and it works wonders.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:40 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

There was a "front page article" on the current RV boom in the local newspaper. Keep in mind, this is a small rural city/town/village, so when an RV sells, it's "bigger news" than it would be in Pittsburg, Denver or Houston, so keep it in perspective. Anyway, both local RV dealerships were interviewed and both said there is a large increase in shopping, in sales and in consumer interest. They both said that current customers are either upgrading current RV's or are buying a "first time unit". One related that many buyers camped with their family when they were young and they want to do the same with their family this summer. There was some discussion (not a lot) about "traveling in isolation" being a choice for many people to vacation this summer...

Anyway, as Jim said, the Fabulous SAM-1 vent hood is a remarkable improvement over the "fart fan" in OEM range hoods. I installed one in our Cougar during the first year they were on the market. I think I paid $189 or somewhere around that. The current price is $199 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Oper.../dp/B00VAAQ3VE and I'd consider it a significant improvement to any trailer.

Keep in mind that your current range hood is "modified" with the improved kit, so if your RV has a built in microwave/range hood or if your RV range hood is not ducted to the outside, then the kit won't help you remove kitchen/cooking humidity, heat or aroma. For those who do have a "vented to the outside" range hood, the SAM-1 upgrade is probably one of the best mods you could do to your trailer to improve "kitchen use". Heck, we use the range hood as a "fantastic roof fan" because it's that quiet and moves that much air. It's truly "unbelievable" how well it performs. Until you see it in operation, you can't begin to imagine the improvement.

As usual, I don't own any stock in the company, don't work for them and don't receive any "kickbacks" from them. I'm just a satisfied customer who has been using the SAM-1 for about 5 years now and still smile every time we turn it on.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I've been in two RV dealers this week and both (Bloomer and Rice Lake) said that business is just the same as last year. The GM of one of them said he thought that the theory on here was baloney. And then he and a couple salesmen had a pretty good laugh.
And Joey, tell me what would possess someone to spend 50K for basically a tool and not use it? I'm going to assume your commode has never seen anybody's bottom so the resale will be much higher? Recliners and couch all have slip covers, and throw rugs everywhere? Cooking outside in that Florida rain with the love-bugs and mosquitoes hanging around like drones at an Amazon warehouse?
Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense, but to normal people, cooking in a kitchen is akin to sleeping on a new mattress. What else would you do with it?
I believe your vent-a-hood needs an upgrade. And I say that on a more serious note. Both John and I, maybe more members, have put the upgraded fan and motor assembly in and it works wonders.

I probably need to clarify the statement I made in a previous post when I said I definitively "don't cook in here". Jim is right about the weather and bugs in FL. Some evenings (I cook late) the no seeums will carry you away and the mosquitoes and yellow flies sound like drones flying around. Rain? Seemingly most days. To that end we have a 12x12 Clam and a 6x6 Clam we use for weather and bug control. We don't use both due to space constrictions but we use what we can. Obviously, there are days that are just too bad to cook outside. That's what sandwiches, soups (on an induction cooker) and restaurants are for (and we love all 3).

My aversion to cooking inside isn't about preserving the trailer or resale. It's 100% about smell and heat. I love garlic as well as onions. In the morning when I wake up and want to think about biscuits and gravy or bacon/eggs the strong aroma of last nights garlic/onions ruins my anticipation for breakfast. Then there is the heat issue when you have both ACs running. Oh, and yep, we have slip covers on every arm of every piece of furniture along with coverings on the couch and theater seats. Not for future resale but more about the self disintegrating pleather coverings and puppy - who loves (at our invitation) to get on them so she can see/look out "her" windows and see the world for hours on end. Like I said previously, different strokes for different folks; Ford vs Chevy etc. No right or wrong way, just whatever makes you happy in your camping enjoyment.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ctd View Post
my friend said their dealer sold 28 units in a week.

i got busted on, in a FB camping forum, for saying not to cook in the trailer due it being stunk up. lady said she been cooking in her RV for 40 years, I am thinking she is "nose blind"

i firmly believe in cooking outside.

and buying new, esp for an RV, some folks are funk nasty.
Our rv was our home for 10+ years & used it like one!
We cooked "indoors", used the toilet for #1 & 2, showered & anything else you'd do in a home just as it was designed for.
I don't think I've ever looked at a used RV on a dealers lot that it wasn't noted "non smoker, no pets", the non smoker part is obvious when you walk in, but "no pets", I don't know but a handful of rvers that don't have pets (yes plural) & sometimes that's very obvious walking into one.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even if you don't "stink it up" by cooking inside or using the toilet/shower it WILL NOT increase the resale value a bit, the day you pulled off the dealers lot it's value dropped about 33% & in about 5 years it will be worth about 10%, or less, of what to payed for it. Used RVs are a dime a dozen & worthless to everyone but the poor fellow that owns it. Welcome to the RV owners club!!
So take it out & enjoy it, quit trying to save it for the next guy!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
InkedMarie

We’ve been buying new vehicles since my dad passed in 1996. Prior to that, most of ours came from him. We knew how he treated cars.

We’re technically on our first RV. It’s new & we will always buy new unless someone we know very well is selling a used one we like. I’m hoping my Bullet stays relatively problem free because we love it.

Cooking inside....nope but just because my husband loves to cook on the Blackstone! I’m in NH, we don’t camp from Nov-April so I cook inside. Nice weather hits & he’s ready.

We bought a camper with a bathroom and we use it as intended.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
jimborokz

My current TV is only the second new truck I have ever owned. Last one was in 1979. Always bought 2-3 year old and usually through a friend at auction. Very few problems and little depreciation.
Now campers are a different thing. Usually bought older pop ups that were gently used and we only did family camping for a few weeks in the summer. The last TT was 18 yrs old when I discovered the rotted flooring and supporting wood. Gave that one away but I hadn't paid much for it.
Then we stepped up to a fiver with plans to snow bird so that was a different game. Started shopping early spring thinking it would take me all summer to find the one I wanted. Third dealer I went to I met a guy bringing his one year old fiver in for his trade. He's the one that showed it to me. He was a 6'6" logger and was only trading to get something with a full sized shower. Dealer gave me a super deal since they didn't even have it long enough to issue a stock no. I got it for the trade in price. Five years later we're looking to upgrade to the Monty which I really always wanted, not to mention by now I wanted a full size shower. Trade in value was only 10K below what we paid. Some times thing do work out, but I'm glad we went new on this one. Oh, yeah, that's how I ended up with the new truck. Needed more payload with this rig so started shopping and the used ones were nearly as much as new, so I said what the heck go for it.
No regrets on either one.
OH, and we do cook inside during the winter but if it's garlic or onions we eat out.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #13
jimborokz

just noticed I had no signature so I updated.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote