Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Kaptn Krabby

Balancing Act?

Just returned from inaugural trip with new tt. The trip up was no problem. Coming back, I noticed the tail wagging a little or so it felt. On the trip there I had 1/3 tank or 20 gallons fresh water (or so my sensors said). Coming back, i had emptied the fresh tank. Looks like the fresh tank is just in front of the axles...would the weight of the water ahead of the axles make for more stability?
Kaptn Krabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Have you scaled or weighed anything? Too much/little weight on the tongue/hitch can make all the difference in the world. Is your WDH set up properly? Does it have sway control/what kind?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
meaz93*

I wouldn't put any water on board when towing that Outback even if its only around 6k dry.
Water sloshing around can make that TT feel unbalanced....in addition to not having your WDH setup just right. With a 1/2 ton you really need an additional sway control bar added>really helps.
Tundras are really the only other 1/2 tons I see towing relatively heavy TT's...nice that they have 4.10/4.30 gear set.
Airbags and or helper springs work to curb sway-IMO.
Last year when I picked up my 2018 Keystone Outback....the RV service tech forgot to drain the water tank?
My 14` F150 Boost pulled it fine...but I knew something felt different-lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_181617.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	22160
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
GHen

This is an issue that could affect the safe towing of your setup...

Yes, liquids in front of the axel should help the wiggles, but could result in too much tongue weight.
You need to get your rig on some scales, record all axel weights then check all you weight and towing specifications on the truck and trailer. Loaded, and unloaded!
You can easily be fine on Tow weight but over axel weights, you could be too much in truck or too much in trailer.

If the scales show you are not balanced, reduce you speed until you get it fixed, for the safety of other people on the road.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

In the around 40 years of Rving, I have tested the fresh water on board or not holding tanks empty or full. I cannot remember any difference in towing or mpg difference. I had 1/2 tons for 3 of the 7 RVs as TVs. Maybe it can make a difference, but my experience shown not. I normally pull with full fresh water because I use the sinks and toilet while traveling about half the time I am going to or coming from a dry camp.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
GHen

I also normally leave home with full water, I don’t always trust water from an unfamiliar source. Full or empty, mine tows the same. I have free scales near home and have checked weights full and empty.
I may use campground water for city water hookup, but only fill my tank with it if I must.
2017 291rsts
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #7
jim53066

I suspect much of your problem is the way the trailer is loaded. The tanks probably did weigh into the swaying, along with where the other items were loaded.
Check out this video.

Jim
jim53066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
I wouldn't put any water on board when towing that Outback even if its only around 6k dry.
Water sloshing around can make that TT feel unbalanced....in addition to not having your WDH setup just right. With a 1/2 ton you really need an additional sway control bar added>really helps.
Tundras are really the only other 1/2 tons I see towing relatively heavy TT's...nice that they have 4.10/4.30 gear set.
Airbags and or helper springs work to curb sway-IMO.
Last year when I picked up my 2018 Keystone Outback....the RV service tech forgot to drain the water tank?
My 14` F150 Boost pulled it fine...but I knew something felt different-lol

Attachment 22160
That's a lot bigger than the camper I used to haul with my super duty. Lol. I have never, and probably never will, hauled with any water in tanks.

[emoji1690]
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote