Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
GregBiloxi

Cougar 26RBS - Connecting Holding Tanks

Has anyone thought about permanently connecting their front gray water tank connection to the rear connection that handles the bathroom gray and black water tanks? This way there is only one connection when you get to the camping site. Currently there is always going to be at least one run in the 20' plus range it seems.

I was thinking just a 90 degree connector in the front, a "Y" connector in the rear and PVC pipe.

Thoughts?
GregBiloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
goducks

Are you talking about running some PVC pipe under the trailer to connect the two tanks? That usually doesn't work because of the axles. Thats why rear kitchens always have two tanks. Can't run the connecting PVC above the corroplast because the black and fresh tanks are in the way. Can't go under the corroplast because the axles may hit it.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
GregBiloxi

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. Not actually connecting the tanks, but connecting the connections where the hoses attach. Does seem that the axles will be an issue. Not sure how I will address, but the hose mess is going to drive me batty.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I don't have 2 drains but I've seen lots of folks that do. Generally I've seen 2 shorter lengths of sewer hose that extend to a Y and then a single hose to the sewer dump. Always looked inconvenient to me. I did have a camper behind us last fall that had just one hose and moved it from one drain outlet to the other and dumped each one individually - another pain it appeared.

As mentioned above, I think trying to run drain pipe between the 2 existing outlets would be problematic for the reasons stated, especially trying to maintain a grade that would actually dump the tanks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBiloxi View Post
Has anyone thought about permanently connecting their front gray water tank connection to the rear connection that handles the bathroom gray and black water tanks? This way there is only one connection when you get to the camping site. Currently there is always going to be at least one run in the 20' plus range it seems.

I was thinking just a 90 degree connector in the front, a "Y" connector in the rear and PVC pipe.

Thoughts?
I can totally relate to this problem. Our TT has the galley drain/dump valve under the slide. VERY INCONVENIENT! What the hell were the engineers thinking? Having to crawl on your belly to open and close this valve is a pain as well as having the hose full when unhooking. Can't get any kind of slope towards the main drain to help it drain.
I was looking at doing the same thing. Plumbing it directly to the main dump.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

My previous trailer had the kitchen gray in the back, under the slide. I used one hose and moved it each time for the 13 1/2 years I owned the trailer. PITA? Yeah, but I just dealt with it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
My previous trailer had the kitchen gray in the back, under the slide. I used one hose and moved it each time for the 13 1/2 years I owned the trailer. PITA? Yeah, but I just dealt with it.
Yes chuckster I will probably do the same. Just venting.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

My 27RKS has one sewer drain outlet, two gray tanks, one forward of the slide co-located with the black tank and one aft of the slide, for the galley. Keystone ran a 1.5" pipe under the coroplast (valve is above the coroplast) and it T's to the 3" sewer connector which comes out of the coroplast forward of the slide. Both the black tank 3" and gray tank 1.5" drains connect above the coroplast.

The way Keystone has it set up, the galley drain is "freeze protected" by the valve being above the coroplast and there is a very slight drain slope to the 3" sewer connector.

I'd think it's possible for you to "hard plumb" the single gray tank to the "larger 3" drain so all your tanks drain at the same outlet. I can post a couple of photos of how Keystone did mine if it will help clarify the explanation above.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My 27RKS has one sewer drain outlet, two gray tanks, one forward of the slide co-located with the black tank and one aft of the slide, for the galley. Keystone ran a 1.5" pipe under the coroplast (valve is above the coroplast) and it T's to the 3" sewer connector which comes out of the coroplast forward of the slide. Both the black tank 3" and gray tank 1.5" drains connect above the coroplast.

The way Keystone has it set up, the galley drain is "freeze protected" by the valve being above the coroplast and there is a very slight drain slope to the 3" sewer connector.

I'd think it's possible for you to "hard plumb" the single gray tank to the "larger 3" drain so all your tanks drain at the same outlet. I can post a couple of photos of how Keystone did mine if it will help clarify the explanation above.
My 30RKS is the same. One connection but 3 valves, one behind the slide.

I'm glad it is that way more for when I'm dumping then when I'm set up.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
GregBiloxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I would love to see a picture of how it is connected if you have one handy.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBiloxi View Post
I would love to see a picture of how it is connected if you have one handy.
Here are a few photos I took when we first bought the trailer. As you can see, the galley tank dump valve is above the coroplast, the drain line exits and runs forward where it "T's" to the gray/black tank connection. The dump valves for the two forward tanks are also above the coroplast. All three tanks dump via the single 3" connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0711.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	21603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0712.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	21604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0713.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	21605   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0714.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	21606   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0715.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	21607  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #12
roadglide

On the galley tank I moved the handle up front even with the liveingroom slide , moving the handle also took the kink out of the cable . I used angle iron screwed into the bottom of the I beam the handle and cable lock nut went through a hose drilled in the angle iron .I though why didn't the engineers design something user friendly.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #13
BulletOwner1

My Cougar 243RKS has a rear galley tank and front black and gray tanks. The valves for all three are recessed above the coroplast at the location of the tanks. There is a connecting pipe from the outlet of the galley tank valve to the main outlet at the forward tanks. That connecting pipe is outside of the coroplast. Just like Johns (JRTJH).
Old 05-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #14
leroyg

My 2019 330RL Laredo has two grey tanks and two separate drains. I joined the two tanks together, span was only four foot. I added valves as well. I tested both tanks and found galley tank held 24.6 gallons and shower/vanity tank held 25 gallons. A far cry from the specs Keystone claims to have 63 total grey water capacity. Good news is both tanks at same level so I can open both and level off grey water. Just some information for those that might need it. Thanks to all of you.
Leroy
leroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #15
KC10Chief

My 2019 Cougar 29BHS has a 30 gallon grey tank in front of the axles for the kitchen and then a 30 gallon grey behind the axles as well as a 30 gallon black tank behind the axles since the bathroom is back there. There is a 60 gallon fresh tank in front of the axles. That rear grey tank is my issue. It fills up in less than two days with three of us taking showers, brushing teeth, etc. The front grey tank might be 30% full after two days. I'd like to be able to transfer water from the rear grey tank to the front one. Get another day out of it. I have two dump connections on my trailer too. I have to park just right to get the hose to reach both connections. Not too big of a deal so much as it is when the rear tank fills up when I don't have full hookups.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:02 AM   #16
leroyg

connecting tanks

here is picture of my connection, it was only four foot between drains.
I added an additional valve for the galley as a back up. I have gained additional capacity by joining the two tanks. Hope this helps
Leroy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	21754  
leroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #17
KingFisher

Not going to climb under the slide every time I empty my galley tank, I decided that soon after buying my Montana HC.

I put another valve on the sewer outlet and leave it shut until I empty the tanks. I leave the galley tank valve open all the time. This also helps when using the black tank flush as I like to let the tank fill up a little then dump it while flushing it, I don't have to work the cable valves to do this.

I've been living in his 384br since the end of last August. When freezing weather came I had to remove the extra valve. I still let the galley tank valve stay open and just drain continuously. I kept an eye on things and didn't have a freezing problem, it has plenty of fall and didn't freeze and plug up on me even though it was zero degrees more than once.

Tags
cougar, tank