Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
jasonmaligmat

Inaugural Trip was a Success!

Thank you to all who have given me advice on this forum up to this point. I wanted to chime in and share that our first time taking out the trailer on a long trip was a huge success! We traveled from the Los Angeles area to Yosemite for a week of camping at the North Pines campground in Yosemite Valley. I ended up going with the Blue Ox BXW1000 Swaypro weight distribution/sway control hitch and coupled with my Navigator had ZERO issues with sway. Started off the trip by going to the local CAT scales to make sure all the weights looked good. We were packed about as full as we will ever be (including a full fresh water tank for the week of dry camping) and were still under the limits of both TV and TT.

I was a little concerned about how the SUV would handle going through the Tejon pass, but had no issues at all. Never even had to put the gas to the floor in order to maintain speed (55-60). Trucks passing gave no issues and the Blue Ox kept the trailer lined up perfectly with the TV. At times I forgot that I was even towing a trailer! For those of you unaware of my setup, There are 6 of us (my wife and I plus 4 kids ages 1.5-10) which is why we need to tow with a 1/2 ton SUV. Our trailer is a 2014 Keystone Hideout 24BHWE and our TV is a 2013 Lincoln Navigator with HD Towing package. With all the nice bells and whistles that the Navi offers in terms of towing (larger radiator, transmission cooler, class IV hitch, 7 pin connector, sway control option, and tow-haul button) coupled with the Blue Ox Swaypro hitch, I am very confident that we made good sound choices that will keep my family, as well as others on the road around me, safe. Thank you to everyone who gave advice and helped me with my questions up to this point.

Other than a few hiccups (they are bound to happen) our first trip was a great experience. I am so happy that I bit the bullet and decided to join the RV community, because I am already making amazing memories with my family that I was not able to have growing up. I'll see you all on the road! We are taking a 4 four week trip this summer through the "Mighty 5" national parks in Utah and ending up in Colorado. Can't wait! I'm attaching a pic of our setup in front of Yosemite Falls. It was my first time in Yosemite, and even though it was raining when we entered the valley, the views are/were incredible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7044 (1).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	12446  
jasonmaligmat is offline   Reply With Quote