Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
frankenstang

Outback 312BH modifying ideas

So, I need to vent a bit. If anyone else has this model, they will know what I'm talking about.
First off, I LOVE the camper.

The kitchen was not well thought out, storage wise. So if the converter that is RIGHT in the middle of the counter space was located under the panty/closet cabinet on the other side of the trailer, we could have two more storage drawers under the sink area. The lower part of that cabinet currently houses the cord for power. This is easy to remedy by going to a removable cord.

The kitchen doesn't really have a 'silverware' drawer. It's like seriously, the most used drawer in the camper.

I also had another brilliant idea. If there was someplace else to put the furnace that is currently under the fridge, I could fit an 8 cubic foot fridge in that spot.

Sorry to rant. I am just waiting for the weather to get better so we can get on with the season!!!!
frankenstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
esmoglo

I certainly feel your pain in regards to functionality. I guess you don’t realize how well something works until you go out and use it. My Keystone passport 2810BH’s refrigerator is really small bummer never thought to look. Then of course the bathroom can be a bit of a trick to use because the toilet is more or less against the bathtub so when you’re trying to pass your business your leg is pressed up against it making it difficult to use.

Tell you one thing when I purchase another RV I’m going to think it through 100% next time. As a first timer there are certainly a lot of things you don’t know until you purchase something and go out and use it by then usually too late...
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
ksbowman

Our converter is indeed under the pantry and out of the way in our Outback 5th wheel. Seems odd the same company would do it differently in a same model travel trailer and differently in a 5th wheel. We have more storage room in ours than we use. Lots of cabinets and draws.
ksbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
GaryWT

So looking at you trailer, it looks similar to mine. For me the converter and cord are under the pantry and the court comes out the back. Are you saying yours comes out the front? It looks like the converter is under the stove, so what is on your counter top that has to do with the converter, seems strange. I have the water heater under the stove, looks like yours is under the sink? As for drawers, we have two, one for foil etc and one for a few other cooking items. Silverware goes on the table in a silverware caddie.

If only people that design them were campers themselves.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
frankenstang

Water heater is under the counter near the door. There's a storage spot above the heater where we put paper towels and 'outside' use stuff. Also all the cleaning supplies. The converter is under to the stove/oven. And the furnace is under the fridge to the right of everything. On the drivers side of the camper, under the pantry (between the slides) is the cord storage with the power surge protector. Our camper won't power up for a few mins after shore power is connected. probably doing a self test and stuff. I am shopping for a kit to allow the cord to disconnect like I did on the last trailer. That spot is HUGE and unused after the cord goes away.

After looking at the layout again, the fridge is over the wheel well and thus there would not be enough room for a bigger fridge if the furnace was under the pantry on the other side. BUT, the converter unit could have been put under the pantry from the start. Wiring would have been easier since the main power comes in right freaking there.

Drawer storage is lacking with the layout. We'll figure something out.

I really liked the Coachmen Freedom Express liberty edition
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014...BHDS-117623750

But the three slide layout was more than I could safely pull and STOP with the old truck. And the outback 312 turned out to be too much for the old 1500 Sierra as it turned out. We traded up to a 2500hd, and (of course) would have been able to handle the Coachmen 320.

Oh well, this is the cycle we go thru I guess.
frankenstang is offline   Reply With Quote