Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2015, 05:03 AM   #1
Realer

Levelling:slide out or in?

First off thanks for the great info on this site. So I just want to ask what people are doing for setup. I have always leveled the TT side to side, unhook, level front to back, stabilize and then put slides out. I have just replaced the scissors jacks on the slide-out side of the TT and was wondering if the added weight added to them after putting the slides out caused this? Does anyone put slides out and then level side to side?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
jsmith948

We have opposing slides so we level side to side, then extend the slides.
I don't think I would move the trailer back and forth or up onto blocks with the slides extended. I think that would really stress the frame/mechanism of the slide. If the added, extended weight of the slide causes the trailer to end up not level, why not allow for that when you level side to side. I would think that after a couple of times you could judge how much extra to raise the slide side of your camper?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

X2. My previous trailer had two slides on the road side, and I leveled both ways prior to extending. Current fiver has opposing slides and o still do it the same way.

I would bet that somewhere in the owners manual it will say level the unit before extending slides. If you had to replace a scissor jack, I doubt the slide weight caused it. You could install additional supports if you want, but I've never had a failure.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
theeyres

Same response as the others: before opening, even when we had the bigger fiver. The slides don't change the level once they are out.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
Seabee

When I get the trailer placed on the site the way I want, I put the slides out and check side to side level, put the slides back in, level the trailer side to side based on how the trailer sat with the slides out, level front to back, put the slides back out and then put the stabilizers down.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
theeyres

I should add that when we have been parked a long time or on a wet gravel pad, a jack or two will occasionally sink in. I don't hesitate to crank it up a little with the slides out to re-level. Don't see where that would ever cause a problem.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
chris199

I never...ever...moved the trailer with slides out.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Realer

https://youtu.be/0uij_QTGSNE

hope the link works. just to further the discussion. Pete's RV video. Not sure if I'm willing to do this yet.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
barchak

I have two slides on one side. When I extend them, it drops the slide side 1". I account for the additional inch on my final leveling. I have graduated levels on my trailer which show the inches out of level. So I level side to side with the slide out side 1" high. Deploy slides, level front to back, then deploy the stabilizers. Perfectly level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
SteveC7010

Like most others, I level first and then run the slides out. We have four slides; three on the street side and one really large one on the curb side. I don't find much difference in the level after the slides are out. I do double-double check the fridge for level. That's an old habit from the days when the fridges were real finicky about being level.

FWIW, the standard scissors jack style stabilizers are not the best quality. If they get too much grit in them, the threads, bushings, and bearings begin to wear. I would not place too much stock on changes in trailer weight affecting the life of these jacks.

Also, remember that they are stabilizers and not intended to lift the weight of the trailer. Cranking them too much will hasten their demise.

Last point as someone mentioned it above, I recommend that people always use cribbing or boards under the stabilizers, landing gear, and/or tongue. The larger footprint of the boards will prevent the jacks from sinking into the ground very much. I've found that the stabilizers in particular are much more effective if they are not extended out very far. They seem very wobbly when fully extended. Building up under the stabilizer feet with cribbing seems to help a whole bunch. I carry a bunch of 4x4 pressure treat pieces cut to about a foot in length. It's super handy for sloped campsites. Since I have the Steady Fast feet on all four corners of the trailer, I follow their recommendation using two pieces of this cribbing in a V shape under each foot.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote