Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The difference in mileage is indeed probably insignificant but I still don't see why anyone who isn't planning on dry camping would carry around 500 lbs. or so of extra weight for no reason, more wear on drivetrain, tires, brakes, bearings, etc. Not a lot perhaps, but again why do it for no reason. Also many 5th wheels are running near their gross weight as is, no need to press it.

I usually carry about 1/3 tank to cover on-the-road use or to cover a couple of showers if we are stuck without hookups overnight. OTOH hand I wouldn't hesitate to carry a full tank if I had a good reason, such as headed to a dry camp with questionable water supply, etc. But I just don't see it as a standard operating procedure.
Makes sense... We left home with a full fresh water tank driving into a 20mph headwind for most of the trip. We were heavier than I had anticipated so I reduced the load to 1/3 tank about halfway through the trip and immediately noticed improved handling. 1/3 seems appropriate for these conditions; I'll probably use this setup as our template for similar trips and reserve full tank configuration for dry camping trips.

Awesome advice and suggestions from everyone. Thanks folks...

Oh yes... After drizzle, fog, rain and heavy winds for most of our stay, the sun finally broke through and winds died down so we'll get to enjoy at least one day of nice weather before heading back home on Tuesday...

Scratch sends...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #22
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
a few reasons we travel with a full tank.
1) With full water tanks we can pull in even with a full hookup site and start camping, if I need to add water a few days later I can, no need to get hooked up to start enjoying the camping. Often don't even bother to plug in until the next day since we can easily run everything except AC on the batteries.
3) Occasionally we find sites with water that is potable, but not necessarily what we like drinking or cooking with, or even showering in. Having our "own" water is nice.
4) Several times we've pulled into a site where water was down for some reason. you'd be suprised how many folk came in with NO water and were scrambling to do anything or left.
5) We have been caught at sites during a storm or something that ended up causing a loss of power. And with no power, they couldn't run the pumps for the water. But we were ok, others weren't.

That's enough reasons for us to always travel with a full water tank, especially #4 and 5.
Most of those things are covered by carrying 1/3 tank or less, unless there is an extended multiple-day outage which is pretty unusual. I don't see the need to carry the extra weight to guard against a 1:1000 chance of something, there's almost no end to that. But it's all good, everyone does what works for them.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #23
kenn209

I guess I am the lone solider in this one, We never carry water unless we are camping at a campground that has no hookups, and then I fill up right when we get there. Always done it this way since our first camper.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
chuck&gail

Nope, never have. Just carry enough for potty breaks and lunch on the road. We always stay in campgrounds.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #25
Dhuhn

This is good advise,and filling my tank half makes sense, unless dry camping.
Thanks for info.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Ayotte

I have always worried about the water splashing around if not full. My tank is at the back of the camper and was thinking if it started splashing side to side it might affect pulling the camper- so I have always went empty or completely full.
Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
NMRVer

Smile I like to travel with some water.

Like many others have stated, I travel with water in my tanks, usually 10-15 gallon for rest stops. I normally don't fill my tanks, (I'm pulling a heavy 5r so weight is important) but after needing water on a few occasions, 15 or so gallons always met our needs. Although I also bought a 3 gallon water container and flushed that way also. It's a personal choice, and to some extent everyone has a unique situation, but I'd put "some water in". This 5r is new to us, but our TT never had a problem with "sloshing", so since a 5r is more stable, I don't think it'll be a problem either.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #28
TimPasq

As with others we travel with about 10 gallons for pit stops and to ensure there is adequate water at the pump inlet in case we are on an incline. Something else to consider: finding water at your first camp site. If it is a developed site this is not a problem. We camp a lot at National Forest sites and most often find there is no water source for a quick fill. Maybe hand pumps which means filling a container and then filling the water tank by hand. At some point near our destination we will purchase fuel and we always check first to ensure the station has a water hose or spigot available... we don't like to pull in and fill with water without some courtesy purchase. We have been in an unfortunate position of driving around a town for half an hour before finding a source.
TimPasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #29
Drew Waller

Water

It depends: if I'm going to have full hookups I put 5-8 gallons in for the dogs to use for drinking and some for us to use in the restroom. If we're going to rough it, I fill the tanks full. We also take a 5 gal plastic bottle with hand pump along for drinking. My 2 hairy buddies have to have water, I can survive on Yuengling!

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
Bushman512000

on the road 28of Dec..

just got home last night 1/2 hour before dark left India 500 town in the rain 78out, home was 45 cold as Canada is most of April no water in the house next time I fill I bleach add about 10 gallons drive where I am staying drop and flush that way the tank is fresh. I never carry water if I need some have 3 small jugs glad to get home the trip was all good...John
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #31
Bushman512000

thats the oldest beer made 1829 in Pottsvill Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Waller View Post
It depends: if I'm going to have full hookups I put 5-8 gallons in for the dogs to use for drinking and some for us to use in the restroom. If we're going to rough it, I fill the tanks full. We also take a 5 gal plastic bottle with hand pump along for drinking. My 2 hairy buddies have to have water, I can survive on Yuengling!
to lite for Me I had some but not a great taste I like the cool aid from the mountains not to say any beer is better than no beer I am Canadian We have some good stuff here to cheers John
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #32
wbatto

I was told this by my first Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
I have always worried about the water splashing around if not full. My tank is at the back of the camper and was thinking if it started splashing side to side it might affect pulling the camper- so I have always went empty or completely full.
When we bought our first TT the dealer told us to tow with a full or Emt tank of water. The reason was water sloshing in a half full tank would make for a rougher ride when towing. I have towed since then with the tank at diffrent levels and never saw a difference. I usually fill my tank up as the camp ground we camp at has some nasty water.

2011 3500 Dodge Dully 6.7 Longhorn 800FPT package
381 Fuzion W/ Monster Pac
wbatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

wbatto,

Most modern RV fresh water and holding tanks have baffles in them to reduce sloshing. That helps prevent (or dramatically reduces) the side to side movement of hundreds of pounds of water which would induce sway and erratic towing. Additionally, most tanks are in front of the axles further reducing the tendency to push the rear of the RV back and forth.

Years ago, when tanks were a simple square box with plumbing attached to them, your dealer's advice was "spot on" however now, it's not nearly as important as in years gone by. There is still some sloshing, but usually not nearly enough to even be noticeable when towing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #34
Ayotte

We have a 26sab and the fresh water tank is at the very back of the camper-this is why I worry about travelling with a partially filled tank. Doon't know if there is baffles in the tank or not.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
Bob Landry

We stay in CGs with FHU. My FW tank hasn't seen water since the PDI. We do pottie breaks when I stop for fuel, or when I get ready for coffee or a Diet Coke.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotte View Post
We have a 26sab and the fresh water tank is at the very back of the camper-this is why I worry about travelling with a partially filled tank. Doon't know if there is baffles in the tank or not.
Given the size of our RV fresh water tanks, the possible amount of water in them isn't enough to cause sloshing problems. It takes hundreds of gallons in much larger tanks to create issues.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #37
Ayotte

Never thought of it that way. Will have to try 1/4 or 1/3 of a tank some time! Thanks
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
Exsailor

I cannot imagine a situation where i would want the extra weight
I camp at a variety of locations, from primitive Nascar to
Full hook up resorts. Either way nobody can convince me that
extra 8 lbs per gallon makes sense. Extra weight is always
bad. JMO

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #39
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
I cannot imagine a situation where i would want the extra weight
I camp at a variety of locations, from primitive Nascar to
Full hook up resorts. Either way nobody can convince me that
extra 8 lbs per gallon makes sense. Extra weight is always
bad. JMO
8 lbs per gallon ALWAYS makes sense. Cause that's what it weighs.

How much does it take to hit extra?

Is 5 gallons normal? And 6+ is extra?

What about 8... And then 9+?

How about 20... And 21+?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #40
SAD
Permanent User Ban

What if I have a 70 gallon tank? Is 10 gallons normal; and 40 gallons is too much?

What if I have a 200 gallon tank? Is 80 gallons normal; and 175 gallons too much?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote