Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
pedalsteelpicker

Black water flush

I have a 2013 Alpine 3700RE with the black water flush receptacle.I have yet to use it and have heard horror stories about it.I know that I have to have the dump valve open when I apply water to the flush,my manual doesn't really cover step by step procedure to use the flush.Other than making sure the dump valve is open does anybody have any other pointers or tips that I should know?I definatly dont want to have a flood like i have read from other people.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalsteelpicker View Post
I have a 2013 Alpine 3700RE with the black water flush receptacle.I have yet to use it and have heard horror stories about it.I know that I have to have the dump valve open when I apply water to the flush,my manual doesn't really cover step by step procedure to use the flush.Other than making sure the dump valve is open does anybody have any other pointers or tips that I should know?I definatly dont want to have a flood like i have read from other people.
It's a pretty simple device that uses water pressure to spray the interior of the tank, hopefully cleaning it pretty well.

The instruction to only use the flush when the dump valve is open is because too many RV owners have started the flush with the dump valve closed and then gotten distracted. That can cause all kinds of real bad problems.

So, hook up stinky slinky, open the dump valve and turn on the flush. When the drainage runs nice and clear, shut off the flush, and then let the remaining water drain out of the tank.

This isn't rocket science but it does require that the operator use a bit of common sense and focus on the task at hand.

FWIW, the vacuum breaker in the flush system seems to be problematic. It either breaks or is poorly installed. Use the search function to read up on that - it's already well discussed and documented here.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
ksfis43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
the vacuum breaker in the flush system seems to be problematic. It either breaks or is poorly installed. Use the search function to read up on that - it's already well discussed and documented here.
I had a problem with my vacuum breaker the first time I used mine, (fresh water everywhere in the bathroom) it was found to be cracked from the factory, the dealer replaced it and haven’t had a problem since.
But every time I use it I worry that it might leak (fresh water), so I installed a Leak detector from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/water-o...arm-92334.html

I will be able to hear the alarm from outside if the valve fails.

2011 Passport 280BH LE
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
ksfis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
turbopilot51

Quote:
Hopefully the dealer did a leak check for the PDI. My dealer failed to do so and there were some loose fittings that caused flooding in my kitchen.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
tileman

On our fuzion I never dump till about 3/4 full then I still fill it up till full then dump. Then I fill the tank at lest 2 more times and then dump.

The last fill & dump the water is 98% clear
And so far I have had no bad odor
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
pedalsteelpicker

Thanks all,I finally tried it at first nothing was coming out and I could hear something going on.I was expecting water to come out as fast as it goes in.I kept checking for leaks in the bathroom and found none and kept my eye on the dump hook up (I attached a clear flushing attachment I had from my old trailer just so I could see the fluid),Finally I started to see ugly water come out then started to clear up so I guess it works.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
hoffbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
On our fuzion I never dump till about 3/4 full then I still fill it up till full then dump. Then I fill the tank at lest 2 more times and then dump.

The last fill & dump the water is 98% clear
And so far I have had no bad odor
X2 here.. I hook up one on those "Y" hose shut-offs when at full hook up so I can fill black tank up and keep water going while I am using santiflush and put all the brass quick connect hose ends on all hoses so it is easy to put away!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Outbackmel

Smile Black water system

If you don't see any sludge coming out of the pipe,
disconnect at the main joint and look up into the pipe....presto, black gooey nasty water will spew in your face. At this time DO NOT lick your lips.
Works with anything. Example the torque is directly proportional to the pain received as the wrench slips from the nut and you wrap your knuckles. Need to get that heart racing? Just climb on the roof with some slippery shoes and a hose, brush and roof cleaner. Walk around pn the wet roof like you own it ... Oops, bye bye. Grab for that slide out on your way down. How convenient is that forward hatch on 5ers. Either you rap your head on the hatch door or walk smack into the hitch.
Ohhhhhh man, love these toys!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
coburke4

Flushing the Tanks

Quote:
Thanks all,I finally tried it at first nothing was coming out and I could hear something going on.I was expecting water to come out as fast as it goes in.I kept checking for leaks in the bathroom and found none and kept my eye on the dump hook up (I attached a clear flushing attachment I had from my old trailer just so I could see the fluid),Finally I started to see ugly water come out then started to clear up so I guess it works.
I received great advise from the Drainmaster Company who manufactures the 360 Siphon vent. #1 Follow the FIRST In LAST Rule: Meaning FIRST put the sewer pipe into the dumping outlet FIRST then connect to camper and reverse. After you flush system and it's clear Unhook the camper end first then pull out the sewer hose thats in the dump tank LAST. It really helps from contaminating the ground water. #2 Buy a water hose timing devise that hooks into your hose. Can buy at Wal-Mart or ACE the monitoring device will shut off after you set it for a predetermined time i.e. 15 min. Main reason for this at times you may get distracted when unhooking everything before you leave and if you forget you will have nasty water running out of your toilet and out your camper door. #3 DO NOT USE the same hose you use for filling your fresh water tanks when flushing you gray & black water tanks.
Hope it Helps
Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Little Guy

There are a few really good instructional vids on youtube.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
chuck&gail

Ours works great. A clear elbow on the sewer hose lets you see when things are running clean.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Murray0512

Doesn't your alpine have a tank flush? I have a 3500re and it has a tank flush. Should in compartment with your water hook up. I drain my tank then turn flush on and let it run till clear
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
smiller

I noticed one thing about the tank flush system. I have a coiled hose with a quick disconnect that goes from the water outlet to the flush input and I was leaving that connected between uses (with the water outlet valve closed of course.) I eventually noted leakage from the anti-siphon valve and it turned out that the leakage ceased when I disconnected the coiled hose... apparently the pressure that remains in the hose between uses forces water past the anti-siphon valve. With the hose disconnected between uses, no problem. Otherwise the system seems to work fine and it's nice that Keystone provides it as a standard option.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
dakingsella

I have a Cougar and found the vacuum breaker under the sink in the bathroom. Is there a separate vacuum breaker for both the fresh water and the black water flush or does the fresh water not need one? Surely the one does not work for both systems.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakingsella View Post
I have a Cougar and found the vacuum breaker under the sink in the bathroom. Is there a separate vacuum breaker for both the fresh water and the black water flush or does the fresh water not need one? Surely the one does not work for both systems.
The vacuum breaker on the black water flush is there to prevent black water from being siphoned back out of the tank into the fresh water system.

There is no flush system on a fresh water tank. It is filled via a gravity feed hatch on the side of the trailer or via a pressure fill fitting. There is no need to prevent a siphon effect back into the water system so there is no vacuum breaker.

The only time a back flow prevention device of any kind would be needed would be when clean water is being forced into a dirty water environment.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
dakingsella

Thanks Steve, I understand and agree. Interestingly, in Oregon a backflow device is required on all fresh water systems connected to a public waster service. RV's might actually be violation of Oregon law without a fresh water backflow prevention device.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakingsella View Post
Thanks Steve, I understand and agree. Interestingly, in Oregon a backflow device is required on all fresh water systems connected to a public waster service. RV's might actually be violation of Oregon law without a fresh water backflow prevention device.
With very few exceptions, it would unlikely that an RV would be connected directly to a public water system. If you hooked it up at a campground, you are connecting to the campground's system. The campground may be connected to a public system so they'd be required to have back flow device.

Same for your home. You are required to have one between your house and the city's water line, your RV is connected to your house system and would not need one.

That all presumes that the Oregon law is written that way.