Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Mij

Lubercate Power Slides?

Does anyone lubercate cables or pullies on your power slides. The dealer told me don't worry about it when I bought the unit, but I have cans of WD 40 just waiting to make my life easier. Let me know what u think
Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

While WD40 works well in many applications, lubrication is not one of its strong points. On my slides, which are not operated by pulleys, I prefer to use a dry lubricant spray. There are several brands out there and any one would work well.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
rudythegreat

My 2 Cents. I was told a few years ago that the lubricants attract dirt and road dust thereby causing grime build up. So I'll watch your post along with you.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

What is Lippert's opinion?
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Lubricate slides

Mine says leave them alone. Enough grit can be washed with clear water. Anything solvent based is going to attract dirt and grime.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Pappydude

A useful post on the forum - I came here thinking about asking the exact same question about slideouts........and lo and behold - I found the answer!! My Keystone owner's manual refers me to a specific manual about the slideouts that I never got from the dealer. Thanks to all who responded to this post.......now I can bug the dealer about something else!
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
chris199

My 29 REV was a 2012 built last year sold this year. When we took possession, one slide was pretty creaky when moving in/out. Dropped it off at dealer for a cpl of minor issues and mentioned the noise. Got it back and no noise. Asked later what they did and it was just a small amount of dry lube. They suggest staying away from WD 40, etc. Stick with the Dry Lube. Any brand.....

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Lippert says just keep clean but I too use a dry silicone spray ..... I think the cable and pulley slides are made by Bal and I don't know what they suggest.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
jje1960

Walmart

Dry lube sold at Walmart in the RV section, we use it on both the main slide and the bedroom cable slide.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
cajun4396

Talking cable adjusting bolt on slide sheared

I just want to thank you all for the posts related to cable slides... On my 2012 Premiere Ultra Light 31BHPR the slide stopped upon extending with a loud pop and with some searcheing I found the cable had popped at the bolt. It looks like when the slide is operating the two cable/chain connectors where the bolts are tightened are hitting when crossing nd one wasstronger than the other and the bolt sheared leaving the other bolt bent... I was able to crawl up underneath the slide and place my back flat against the slide pushing upward while my wife worked the extend switch and extended the slide for the weekend... I searched on the Lippert site thinking they were the manufacturer but because you mentioned BAL i was able to find EXACTLY what I am needing along with the service manual..... THANK YOU VERY MUCH
"Hank and Lynn" and everyone else in the forum for the excellent advise and help to new rv'ers like myself. I'm a very handy guy but have also been know to do more damage than good at times...

With your posts I'll be able to fix and adjust everything myself.
2010 Ford Supercrew 5.4L w/ Airlifts
cajun4396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
SlowPoke

When I asked my dealer what Ishould use to occasionally touch up the cables with lube, they told me they are NOT to be greased, lubed, or etc by the consumer normally. He told me there is a special DRY lube they use when necessary, but never to apply anything else as it will cause issues with the cables... Just saying what THEY told me.

I told him when I need some, he's gonna send me some..."Right?" lol he agreed to though....

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
440justin

Must be a common thing to be missing. I am missing the book and override cable. My dealer is ordering me a book and cable and having it sent to me.

During my PDI the shop tech told me they use liquid wrench on the cables when needed.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Pappydude

Lube slide outs

My slideouts have gears on a track. 2012 Cougar 318SAB. I've been to two auto parts store and and BiMart - and the best I can find is "graphite" in a tube. When I ask for a dry lube - they tell me graphite. When I tell them what it's for they tell me the graphite doesn't mix well with water (why should it!) and that it will "gum up the works". Since there weren't a lot of replies to this post, I'm guessing a majority of RV owners do NOT lubricate their slideouts. Is that a fair assessment? Although mine are only a year old, they still have a little rust on them. I've never considered washing them with soap and water.......but I'd think metal on metal would have to be lubed at some point. I asked the question of my dealer, got put on hold - not once, but twice. After about 10 minutes I hung up. I figured they were still laughing or tired of answering the question for other people.
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure what your Owner's Manual states, but mine says "Not to lubricate the slide out mechanism". I've used two dry sprays -- Gunk Liquid Wrench RV Dry Lubricant and Jigaloo Dry Lube Spray - on the slide mechanism. There hasn't been any buildup of grease, dirt or grit and the slides have been operating smoothly.

I can't see graphite as an ingredient of either spray.