Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
DocData757

Just another tire thread, ST235/80R16 Towmax only.

OK, here goes another tire thread..... sorry. I would like to limit this to a very specific question and not a general discussion of which are good, which are bad, etc, etc.

I want to know if anyone has remark, good or bad, specifically with regards to Towmax ST235/80R16 E tires. I know there have been a lot of complaints about Towmax quality but I'm not interested in comments about any other size and I would really appreciate your understanding about this.

I suspect this will limit it to owners of large 5th wheel owners.

Thanks!
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Dave -
I should warn you that you are approaching your limit of tire threads. (Just kidding). But thanks for specifying the size and brand of tire that you are looking for feedback rather than general comments about any Towmax tire. Your request should help keep the posts on topic.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
webslave

Same tires on my '11 Cougar 318SAB. No issues with mine, though a lot of folks will tell you they are junk. I keep them covered when not on the road, always aired to 80 psi and never over 65 mph (usual travel speed is 58-62 mph) and I'm loaded under maximum capacity. Currently have ~5800 miles on them, but, expect to top 12,000 by the time we get home Not enough on them to speculate on how well they'll hold up for me, but, I'm apparently easy on tires...

I'll keep them and not worry about the "what ifs"... I had a set of those "Chinese Junk" Duro tires on my old FunFinder. Had 38,000+ on them when I traded the trailer and they still looked new.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Dave,

We have the same tires on our Avalanche... Same floorplan as yours. Have only had it since March, so nothing bad to say about them yet. I keep them at 80 psi and check regularly.

My last camper was a tri-axle TH with the same size as well. For 5 years, no probs.

Will keep this thread posted if anything bad happens.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Mike L123

We have these tires on our 2011 Cougar 318SAB. ~5,500kms on them so far. Always 80psi
and generally towing at 100kmh (65mph). The tires show no signs of abnormal wear, blistering, cracking, bubbling, separating or anything else untoward yet. Will post if anything weird happens in the fall as we will be heading out on a long hegira of 15,000kms or so over the fall/winter.

Cheers!

Mike and Carol
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
grayghost03

4400 miles and no problems, 80 psi always.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
wmcclay

After talking to the people at Les Schwab, I put them on my Montana 2955. I was told the failure rate was close if not the same as any other trailer tire.
Good luck
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
chivas

I HAD them on my 2012 Alpine until I had a blowout that cost me 2K in damage. Then replaced with Maxxis and a Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM). The TPM is great you can see what all of your tires are doing. When I replaced the Towmax tires I had a Golf ball size bubble on the inside of one of them. Must have happened on the way home from last trip because I did not see if before I left. Not overloaded, not over 65 mph, and covered from day one.

The problem you will find out is there is not a lot of choices in that tire size you can replace them with unless you change size or rims.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1581  
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
CWtheMan

The reference depicts what happened to one of my truck tires on the way to FL last year. It had 22,000 miles on it and came off the LH dual set. Yep, that bubble is still holding air. The tire is a Goodyear Silent Armor (PRO Grade). When I took it to a GY retailer they told me I had hit something with it. I asked them to prove it. They could not. They got in touch with an area rep and we struck a deal. They would give me a new tire if I would give them that one. I agreed on condition they would formally inform me of their findings. A few weeks later I got a letter from them stating a smallish piece foreign material had got between the sidewall and carcass during the building process and must have been missed during the X-ray process.

I know, it's not a trailer tire but the condition is similar to the one above. In my case I was lucky it didn't blow and I was able to get to the cause. If the lot was bad I wanted to know it. Those buggers are expensive. I'm still running on the other five.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=18103

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
chivas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The reference depicts what happened to one of my truck tires on the way to FL last year. It had 22,000 miles on it and came off the LH dual set. Yep, that bubble is still holding air. The tire is a Goodyear Silent Armor (PRO Grade). When I took it to a GY retailer they told me I had hit something with it. I asked them to prove it. They could not. They got in touch with an area rep and we struck a deal. They would give me a new tire if I would give them that one. I agreed on condition they would formally inform me of their findings. A few weeks later I got a letter from them stating a smallish piece foreign material had got between the sidewall and carcass during the building process and must have been missed during the X-ray process.

I know, it's not a trailer tire but the condition is similar to the one above. In my case I was lucky it didn't blow and I was able to get to the cause. If the lot was bad I wanted to know it. Those buggers are expensive. I'm still running on the other five.

CW
When they took off my Towmax with the bubble it held pressure also.
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
dave-g

about 8000 miles on mine- always at 80 psi. I do look for trouble- as 65-70mph is the norm for me.

I watch them close- and my replace them at the beginning of next year ( they will be 2 years old and have 12,000 mile on them). But there are not a lot of choices in that size.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #12
Outbackmel

Towmax SRX

Same tires and wheels 5000 miles. 80psi. No issues across roughest roads in America, except PA.
One needs to consider Keystone is the leading volume producer of TT's and 5th wheels. Yes cost is a driver BUT regardless of complaints on this forum, they want to build and sell units. I personally would buy another Keystone product IF it fit my family purposes at the time. Our unit was purchased new in 2011.
Could they use improved QUALITY CONTROL, sure.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
LittleJoe

About 4000 miles, always 80psi, check temp at each stop. Always run cool and not showing any wear to speak of so far. Always covered if facing sun.
Usually run 100-110kph.

Will run until 5yrs and then replace with Michelin Ribs.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #14
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Same tires and wheels 5000 miles. 80psi. No issues across roughest roads in America, except PA.
One needs to consider Keystone is the leading volume producer of TT's and 5th wheels. Yes cost is a driver BUT regardless of complaints on this forum, they want to build and sell units. I personally would buy another Keystone product IF it fit my family purposes at the time. Our unit was purchased new in 2011.
Could they use improved QUALITY CONTROL, sure.
quality verse price- price always seems to win- look at walmart and home depot.
But I too would buy an other keystone- my 325srx was a great value to me and my family.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Johnnyfry

Towmax

I always run 80 psi and 60mph. No problems in 20,000+ miles. I just had to replace 2 because I bent an axle on the Alaska highway and both tires quickly developed an undesirable wear pattern, the other two on the unbent axle still doing fine.

I believe that most problems are caused by not minding the pressure and excessive speed and that is common to all tire brands.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
BigCajun

How do ya'll estimate the mileage? Do you log your travels? Anyway, I have the same tire on my Raptor. I always check pressure, probably pull a little fast at times, 75 mph. My tires are two and half years old. Recently traveled to Florida for vacation and upon arrival, had one tire egged up on the tread as the belts had given way but not blown out! Bought a new GY Marathon to get home. About halfway home, I had another one give way, luckily not blown but tread belts egged out. This time I put the spare down to get home. Upon arrival home, I had a third one about to go!
Talked to my tire guy this morning and he recommends going with a LT(light truck) tire instead of the ST(trailer service). Sidewall is stronger and can withstand the scrubbing of the triple axle better than trailer tires.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
byrdr1

I believe I have the same tire as you are asking about. I thought it was an 85series but cant check from here. I keep a check on pressure always at 85psi. I dont drive faster than 65 mph, might have hit 70mph once or twice but not regular driving trying to jump on highway or something like that. I do keep covers on them at my house, I dont cover at campgrounds as the slide-outs are out and they do a good job of keeping them out of the sunlight.
Someone asked how do you know how many miles you have on tires, yes I keep log book of all my trips. I dont add any running around miles while camping with TV but the miles to and from are always logged. I log camping expenses down to meals eatten out. So only 2864 miles after this weeks trip to the beach.
I have been up the mountains 3 times and to the beach 5-6 times and few places in between.
So for so good.
Randy
PS I did have problems on the TT with China bombs and had a set of Maxxix installed and then replaced under the warranty a year later on all 4 of these tires. SO!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCajun View Post
Sidewall is stronger and can withstand the scrubbing of the triple axle better than trailer tires.
Your tire guy may want to do some research... that is the exact opposite of what every tire manufacturer says regarding LT vs. ST tires. ST tires are designed to better resist sidewall stress due to scrubbing. Think about it... sideways tire scrubbing is something that is unique to trailer applications, why would a manufacturer design a trailer tire to be less capable in that regard?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
skdooman2004

Unhappy towmax tire bubble

just got home from myrtle beach, next morning went to wash 5er and saw this!!!! looked at some others that had same problem, i'm not sure what route to take, tire has only about 5000 miles and raptor is only 1 year and 3 months old, and it was in winter storage for 6 months. is there anything i can do other than go buy another tire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire bubble.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1806  
skdooman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
smiller

I've seen other reports of sidewall bubbles in Towmax tires. No option other than to replace, but I'd replace all of them. Not to beat it to death but...it's a lot less expensive than a blowout. Maxxis M8008 10-ply is your best option in an ST tire, in fact about the only good option.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote